• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GAOSP with Gingerbread (Android 2.3)

Lelouch

Android Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2010
Kri
Believe it or not but Drakaz and co. are already on it. They're working with awesome speed and soon, I hope we will have a testing build with Gingerbread. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that it works on Galaxy.

P.S: yes, if Gingerbread gets ported to Galaxy that's going to be a final miracle (breath of new software) for us Galaxy users and it's hardware. :p

Preview of Gingerbread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWc_guWru7w

Reactions: hamed6513
Take a look and judge for yourself. I also read somewhere that it has a better memory handling (now was on the forum or a blog???). Anyway time will tell if our Galaxy has what it takes to run Gingerbread almost the same as Froyo or better. It's all up to Drakaz.
But be advised that GAOSP was first developed on Eclair (Android 2.1) then jumped on Froyo (Android 2.2), so this will not be a surprise if GAOSP jumps again to Gingerbread (Android 2.3), but tests will tell if Galaxy has what it takes to run it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
New nightly is released today. :D

How to!

First update your GalaxyUpdater to version 1.08 - for those who use it.

Download and install/flash new Recovery image. Get it from here.
Now install it via ADB or GalaxyUpdater (your choice).

Download the newest nightly release.
Here is a change log for you all to see "What's new in this release?"
There is a issue (for now) with GalaxyUpdater

Also, you will need newer gapps CM 7 ones. Read here for more info.

Enjoy! :cool:

P.S: camera is still WIP (work in progress)

Upvote 0
This release is the best so far.
What speed improvement in comparison to previous releases (both GAOSP with Froyo and previous Gingerbread releases).
And Gingerbread screen on and off animation is really nice to have. I'm in love it. :p

Now, when camera gets ported this ROM will be a real killer to have.
To bad about dialer lag, but I can live with it.

P.S: I don't "ever" use Bluetooth, so I just uninstall it with Titanium BackUp (with other useless system apps (like Talk,...).

Upvote 0
Well, it's that time of the year again when miracles do happen. :D
It seems that the next release of GAOSP is going to bring even better performance. Just take a look and judge for yourself and remember that this is Galaxy eating peace of his Gingerbread.

GAOSP: Gingerbread Fudgeswap Kernel Multitasking Test

P.S: still no camera support in sight and Bluetooth issue remaining. Let's all hope that something changes in meantime (till next release). :p
Stay tuned for more infos and updates.

Upvote 0
Well, it seems that bukington and nopy did it. :D
Camera now works, more or less. Earlier today camera worked by taking one picture and in order to take another you needed to restart the camera again. Later today, better to say tonight buk wrote that that he now takes multiple pictures (he is currently testing it).
Also fudgeswap was added to Change Log and sleep issue was fixed (again).

@DaSchmarotzer: Does this reminds you off something? :D

Upvote 0
Well, it seems that bukington and nopy did it. :D
Camera now works, more or less. Earlier today camera worked by taking one picture and in order to take another you needed to restart the camera again. Later today, better to say tonight buk wrote that that he now takes multiple pictures (he is currently testing it).
Also fudgeswap was added to Change Log and sleep issue was fixed (again).

@DaSchmarotzer: Does this reminds you off something? :D

Great, getting a working camera is awesome!

Not getting an update, on the other hand, is something I'm getting used to. :p At least the Optimus One has a working port of CM with gingerbread so it's not as big of a deal. I already installed a custom recovery and custom kernel to fix the only bug of the Optimus one, that was rather easy. ;)

Upvote 0
onion_msn_smileys-24.gif

It's here boys and girls.

New nightly out. Install it how your usual way.
Camera works with disco effects on preview screen, but at least it takes pictures. Fudgeswap is working, but can't put my finger on which is correctly value for it.
cebollita_animated_onion-19.gif

Upvote 0
onion_msn_smileys-24.gif
It's here boys and girls.

New nightly out.
Camera works with disco effects on preview screen, but at list now it does take pictures. Fudgeswap is also included in the nightly (minor performance boost), but I can't put my finger on on which value should be the correct one.

@DaSchmarotzer: now you can try the new GAOSP 3 with working camera. You can also use it at the party for disco effects.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads up. I might get a taste of Gingerbread on my Galaxy. ;)

Totally off-topic:
I'll help you with your request (sig wise). What's the deal with it???

Damn it seems Drakaz released two nighties today. First one with camera only taking one picture and later one without that bug. It seems I'm on the first boat, which is/was the wrong one.

Now I need to start again, crap.
cebollita_animated_onion-04.gif

Upvote 0
Totally off-topic:
I'll help you with your request (sig wise). What's the deal with it???

Damn it seems Drakaz released two nighties today. First one with camera only taking one picture and later one without that bug. It seems I'm on the first boat, which is/was the wrong one.

Now I need to start again, crap.
cebollita_animated_onion-04.gif

Thanks, I appreciate it. :)

Well, I just needed more space on my free dropbox. You need to install the desktop client and you get a free 2 GB of storage. (Since you used my link you should have 2.25 GB). It works great with the dropbox app on Android. Basically you upload stuff and you can access it from your computer, phone or any place with internet access.

If you want more free storage, you can easily get to 3GB if you do 5 of the 7 steps on this page (easy stuff such as uploading one file, installing the client, installing the app, etc) and if you complete the different steps on this other page (twitter, facebook, feedback).

There's also benefits for students with .edu email addresses.

About the latest nightly, the camera is working perfectly? Or have you not tried it yet? :p

Upvote 0
The camera works with disco effects on preview screen. You should have read it yesterday in my first post. But regardless of that tiny issue it works like a charm. Faster then any release of GAOSP, more stable and with working camera is just what we all needed.
Now we can all wait for 0.77 WIP to see what lies in the future release.
onion_msn_smileys-15.gif

P.S: anyway my Wi-Fi played on/off with me, but nothing that static IP can't fix.

Upvote 0
I have been trying to install it but with no luck. Through Galaxy Updater the phone goes into continuous boot loop. When I try manual install the OS installs fine but the GApps package won't. I have done numerous wipes, fixed permissions, installed latest recovery etc. No luck. ;( Maybe I will wait until the next nightly. Presently using 2.2.1 from Drakaz. Works great.

Back to using my old Galaxy for a while. Last week dropped and broke beyond repair my new Samsung Galaxy Fascinate. As I am only two months into my contract it will be a little while before I replace it.

Upvote 0
I have been trying to install it but with no luck. Through Galaxy Updater the phone goes into continuous boot loop. When I try manual install the OS installs fine but the GApps package won't. I have done numerous wipes, fixed permissions, installed latest recovery etc. No luck. ;( Maybe I will wait until the next nightly. Presently using 2.2.1 from Drakaz. Works great.

Back to using my old Galaxy for a while. Last week dropped and broke beyond repair my new Samsung Galaxy Fascinate. As I am only two months into my contract it will be a little while before I replace it.

Which gapps are you using???
cebollita_animated_onion-13.gif

You should use CM 7 gapps. Also fix permission before applying the zip.
onion_msn_smileys-24.gif

P.S: new Recovery released, it will fix never ending boot loop for some who experienced it

Reactions: dri001
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones