• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
If it were Panda vs against anything not GDE, I'd say Panda. As it is, Panda is terrific if you're looking for something free with good theme/icon support. After trying out GDE though, I simply couldn't go back to Panda. The different screen transitions and english dev/support were the two deciding factors for me.

I haven't personally seen any force closes with my installation of GDE, but if that were to happen, I would certainly go back to Panda.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure that you can get limited trial versions of most of those. Or at least a 24hr refund window.

I'm waiting for my behold 2 to come in the mail, so once it does I'll try out every Home Replacement that I've heard about thus far. In this order of interest:

1.) Panda Home
2.) GDE
3.) OpenHome
4.) Sweeter Home
5.) DXTop
6.) aHome
7.) Open Gesture

I'm sure there are others... I'll add those to my review if I find them.

Upvote 0
Since different Home replacement programs behave differently with different phones, and since the Behold 2 so desperately needs a Home replacement app, here are my thoughts on how these Home replacement apps perform on the Behold 2. Versions and prices are noted. Keep in mind that when you change Home programs, you will “lose” your placement of shortcuts and widgets. That setup is stored with your old Home program. You can change your Home app by going to Menu → Settings → Application → Manage Applications. Then select the Home program you're currently using, and select “clear defaults.” You will then be asked which program you want to use the next time you press the Home button.

DxTop 2.8.5:
$2.99

• 4 home panels arranged in a diamond pattern. Each screen is always 1 swipe away. Some people love this, some people hate it. I thought it was pretty clever, but I don't need 4 screens. For those who need more than 4 screens.... tough. I don't think you can increase the number of home screens with DxTop.
  • 2 application drawers/tabs on bottom of screen instead of 1. Left drawer/tab thingy is for all apps (ie, the normal function of the app drawer.) . Right tab is for recent and currently running apps. Right drawer functions as a task killer as well.
  • Has a basic weather widget included.
  • Performance is very smooth. Doesn't use any fancy zoom effects or anything, so that's probably why.
  • Problem unique to the Behold 2 + DxTop: This phone uses a dedicated unlock button on the side of the phone, unlike most other Android phones which use the screen unlock swipe. DxTop doesn't take this into account, so you have to unlock the Behold 2 twice when using DxTop: Once with the button on the side, and once on the screen. This is cumbersome and irritating. Other home replacement apps don't do this, so DxTop may fix this issue in the future. Side note, the screen unlock graphics that DxTop uses are quite attractive. I just wish they could replace the hardware button's functionality.
  • Includes a screen capture function.
  • I think the whole app drawer thing is pretty ugly, and I'm glad Google is doing away with the idea for version 2.1. So having two app drawers taking up the whole bottom of the screen is ugly x2 for me.

Open Home 3.6.1
$3.99 + WA sales tax? (I don't live in Washington, but whatever.)

• Can choose number of home screens, from 3 to 7.
  • Basic theme is, IMHO, fugly. Fortunately there are a ton of themes on the Market. Most are sports themed, but there are a couple which are decent. Dark Hero was my favorite.
  • Uses an iPhone-esque zoom when you press the Home key. This is pretty, but resource intensive for the tiny Qualcomm 528 Mhz CPU. As a result, some of the zoom transitions can stutter. You can turn the animation effects off in preferences, and this helps performance a lot.
  • Includes a “RAM Optimizer” widget. Not sure what exactly how it works, but seems to smooth the scrolling and transitions after you run it. Nothing mind blowing, but a nice feature.
  • Clock widget is a low res rip off of the HTC clock widget. Its hard to read, and I wouldn't care if you could change the clock skin, but you can't. (you'd have to find another app for a decent clock.) Beautiful Widgets are back, and look great.
  • Includes an additional Dock a la OSX. I thought it just got in the way, so I turned it off.
  • Can use aHome themes.
  • Includes Screen Shot function and task manager.

Panda Home 1.8.0
Free

• Up to 11 home screens... if you're into that kind of thing.
  • Basic Android theme is smooth.
  • Can load themes from other Home Replacement programs, like Open Home, but these themes will not look, behave, or perform exactly the way they would in their native apps... it's just the basic skin which Panda Home borrows.
  • I used the Dark Hero Theme for Open Home. Performance was... mixed. I might stick with basic theme.
  • Panda Home Assistant available with long press on desktop. Pretty useful for changing settings. I wish DxTop had something like this.
  • In a week of use, I got one or two force close errors. Not a ton, but pretty irritating.
  • A bazillion mini docks on the sides which pop out when pressed. Cool if you like docks. I don't.

GDE: 0.2.0.01 (kind of deceptive version number since it performs as well as any other app. This didn't feel beta at all)
About $3.60 (it was 2.99 GBP)

• Has some cube, stretch, fade, and other transitions for switching home screens that I don't use. Up to 7 home screens.
  • Starts out with an empty desktop... not even a Google search box. But don't let that throw you off...customize!
  • GDE has one of the more polished, put together feels of all the programs. I like that it actually has a dedicated phone icon... something the other themes forget you might actually want.
  • The stock theme for GDE is meh, but the Hero theme for GDE is my favorite theme of all.
  • GDE re-arranges the app drawer into a single item per line, alphabetical list by default. This was really irritating to me because I'm more visual.... but fortunately it is changed quite easily: Click the bars icon in upper right.
  • Includes an application dock widget which lets you pack a lot of icons per row. Not really interesting to me since it basically duplicates the point of having multiple home screens as far as I'm concerned. But does allow you to have a row of similar themed icons, like a work row, or entertainment row if you're into that kind of thing.
  • Nice, clean interface for changing GDE settings. IMHO the most well thought out and complete, with the possible exception of Panda. It doesn't take you 5 minutes trying to figure out how to change something.
  • Performance is smooth, a nice balance of polish and simplicity, without unnecessary eye candy bogging things down. (I used the normal screen transition effect, not the cube.)

The first Home Replacement that I really liked was Open Home. I'm currently really enjoying GDE, and I'm going to give it some more time before choosing between the two. They're both very good... Open Home offers a few more features/add-ons, but GDE feels smoother and easier to use. I'm leaning towards GDE for its performance and smoothness, but it needs a week of use before I can feel confident in that selection.

Other thoughts: definitely get Better Keyboard, or some other keyboard replacement app. I didn't realize how terrible the Samsung keyboard is until I tried something else.

Reactions: Nucas
Upvote 0
GDE all the way. Im actually not bothered by touchwiz but i can see the annoyance people feel. Decided to try home replacements because i read so much on them, started with open home and i didnt like it panda is just as good and free. Panda home was really good and it gave me the feel of my mytouch on the b2, i also really liked the docks it was just a nice touch. But after trying GDE i fell in love GDE is what touchwiz should have been. Its has smooth transactions between screens and still gives you a distinct cube experience but with stock android menus.

Upvote 0
My phone did go into a boot loop when I had both Open home and GDE on my phone, I was using GDE at the time, I had to do a hard reset when I got back up and running I installed GDE and have been using GDE since. It has been over 2 weeks and no problems. I do not know if it was because I had both Open home and GDE on the phone that caused the problem or just a glitch but so far so good.

Upvote 0
I had Open Home, Panda, and GDE installed at once with no issues.... I guess it's luck of the draw. I un-installed panda cause I didn't like it, and Un-installed OpenHome because it kept running in the background, even when I had selected GDE as my default and tried to force close Open Home.

Rebooted every time I tried a new Home app just to even the playing field. Never had an issue. Again, luck of the draw I guess.

My phone did go into a boot loop when I had both Open home and GDE on my phone, I was using GDE at the time, I had to do a hard reset when I got back up and running I installed GDE and have been using GDE since. It has been over 2 weeks and no problems. I do not know if it was because I had both Open home and GDE on the phone that caused the problem or just a glitch but so far so good.

Upvote 0
DxTop 2.8.5:
$2.99

• Problem unique to the Behold 2 + DxTop: This phone uses a dedicated unlock button on the side of the phone, unlike most other Android phones which use the screen unlock swipe. DxTop doesn't take this into account, so you have to unlock the Behold 2 twice when using DxTop: Once with the button on the side, and once on the screen. This is cumbersome and irritating. Other home replacement apps don't do this, so DxTop may fix this issue in the future. Side note, the screen unlock graphics that DxTop uses are quite attractive. I just wish they could replace the hardware button's functionality.

There is an option to turn off the unlock screen. Has been at least since the Behold 2 came out, and I suspect earlier.

Upvote 0
I download GDE and love it. So far I've been running open home but the widgets are a bit better on GDE . The only problem so far, there's no screen capture feature like open home and the settings menu is limited.

It's hard to choose so I just alter back & forth between the both of them.

BTW - I also found a copy of beautiful widgets 2.36 before they received a C&D and the weather animations are absolutely gorgeous. Love the toggle switches as well

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones