• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Getting a new Droid2 per warranty replacement from Verizon/Asurion: is it UNLOCKED?

hydrostarr

Mar 15, 2011
I'm getting a brand-new Droid2 per warranty replacement from Verizon/Asurion: is it "UNLOCKED"? Specifically: can I sell/advertise it as "unlocked" on ebay/craigslist and not be fraudulent?

(Am really fed up with Verizon, given my discovery of new T-Mobile plans, planning to kill my Verizon plan early and sell my new phone before I even use it.)

The Droid 2 is not a world-phone nor a GSM phone therefore unlocked doesn't really apply.

The MEID number for your unit is directly tied to your account, but as long as you don't report it stolen or lost they wont prevent activation under a different account, just make sure you're no longer under contract.

For someone to break the phone "free" of Verizon they'd have to go the FLASH route and I know Cricket and some other smaller carriers will flash your CDMA phone with their homebrew so that you can use it with them.

Reactions: hydrostarr
Upvote 0
Ok, gotchya, thx much. So what's "most appropriate" to say in an ebay/craigslist post that's still going to attract buyers? Can I appropriately state "Droid2, Verizon UNLOCKED"? Is that in any way 1) wrong, or 2) deceiving?

(even though it may not technically apply, I'm hoping it's not fraudulent. Most listings seem to say "unlocked" as a general requirement for buyers to "feel more comfortable," I suspect...and I'd like to follow suit if possible. Realizing I might need to ask Verizon about this... but thought I'd try to get all appropriate feedback here...)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones