• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Getting rid of random ads

km2002

Aug 25, 2010
Within the last week, my S8 started throwing these full-screen ads at me, usually for Lyft. (One sure way to keep me from using or joining the service; but I digress.) I have no idea what triggered this behavior. I uninstalled the one app I thought I downloaded around the time this started; but even after restarting the phone, the ads still show up. This morning I processed a T-Mobile system update; almost immediately upon restoring the operation of the phone, the bloody ad popped up. How do I stop this from happening? It happens at the worst times, such as: (1) randomly and (2) when I'm using the phone as a desk clock, meaning I lose my clock in the middle of the night after an ad has overwritten the clock and, after a period of inattention to the ad, put the phone to sleep. Maddening. Thank you for your support.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones