• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ginerbread Update, ROM, and Root Woes on Droid X

epdixon

Lurker
Jun 12, 2010
Hello folks!

I purchased a used Droid X yesterday to replace my Droid 2 with cracked screen.

I am having some issues with the device I hope someone can possibly point me in the right direction to solve...

• I was told the phone was rooted, but I don't think the guy had done something right because I couldn't install Root apps. I ran a Root Check app and it verified BusyBox was installed, but Superuser couldn't be accessed. I can get the specific details that app gives if needed.
  • I have used SuperOneClick to root the phone, which initially appears to do the root, but then I get the same result when I try to run root programs. Superuser app does show up in the apps menu, though it only displays a blank screen.
  • The phone has ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.6 installed, which comes up everytime the phone is booted.
  • It is running Android 2.2.1, and everytime I try to update the phone (to Gingerbread), it downloads the file, begins installing, then fails.
I would like to get rooted gingerbread running. I don't care about ClockworkMod Recovery, so if it needs to go, that's fine. At this point I cant get an update to work and I can't get root access - those are my priorities.

Can someone help?

Upvote 0
that is a great guide.

I agree with VS i would probably SBF so you can start fresh.

It worked without any issue. Very good guide.

The ONLY thing I had to do that wasn't in the guide was unplug the usb cable as it rebooted each time to prevent it from loading BootLoader every time. For some reason if I try to power on my phone with USB plugged in it always loads there. Unplugging it until the Motorola logo came up worked though.

Off to enjoy my new gingerbread running rooted droid X, so glad I found this forum!

Upvote 0
It worked without any issue. Very good guide.

The ONLY thing I had to do that wasn't in the guide was unplug the usb cable as it rebooted each time to prevent it from loading BootLoader every time. For some reason if I try to power on my phone with USB plugged in it always loads there. Unplugging it until the Motorola logo came up worked though.

Off to enjoy my new gingerbread running rooted droid X, so glad I found this forum!

cant wait to hear more from you with any other questions you may have

sorry i didnt provide the link i was busy watching the saints beat the snot out of the colts :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones