• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread battery life

I am rooted with the OTA ROM from XDA and I have no difference. Don't know if that is because the ROM doesn't include the Kernel?? Not sure..

Would someone mind explaining this to me? I am rooted and just installed the Gingerbread ROM. Apparently, doing so doesn't fully bring the phone up to date? What are the kernel and the radio, and should I be doing something else to get those updated?

Upvote 0
I got the notification that a system update was available (again) on Saturday morning along with a almost dead battery. I attempted to download it and appeared to work until it stayed on the rebooting screen. I ended up stopping it. Well fastforwarding to this morning I wake up to find another almost dead battery. This has become unacceptable and now I'm scrambling to find a solution. Has anyone experienced is in correlation to the recent update. I'm unable to get to 4.08. I'm stuck on 4.06.

Upvote 0
I got the notification that a system update was available (again) on Saturday morning along with a almost dead battery. I attempted to download it and appeared to work until it stayed on the rebooting screen. I ended up stopping it. Well fastforwarding to this morning I wake up to find another almost dead battery. This has become unacceptable and now I'm scrambling to find a solution. Has anyone experienced is in correlation to the recent update. I'm unable to get to 4.08. I'm stuck on 4.06.

Go to this thread to get the 4.08 update tricks....scroll down to the last couple of pages in the thread for the method on how to get the update to resend.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-...gerbread-2-3-here-then-gone-now-its-back.html

My wife had terrible battery life AFTER getting the update.....a factory reset fixed the problem and now it's better than ever.

Upvote 0
Go to this thread to get the 4.08 update tricks....scroll down to the last couple of pages in the thread for the method on how to get the update to resend.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-...gerbread-2-3-here-then-gone-now-its-back.html

My wife had terrible battery life AFTER getting the update.....a factory reset fixed the problem and now it's better than ever.

I was hoping to avoid a factory reset. I guess I'm looking for a silver bullet but I'm afraid I'm SOL and will have to do the damn Factory reset. I'm ready to drop this phone for the Nexus. Any day Verizon......

Upvote 0
I was hoping to avoid a factory reset. I guess I'm looking for a silver bullet but I'm afraid I'm SOL and will have to do the damn Factory reset. I'm ready to drop this phone for the Nexus. Any day Verizon......

I don't know if this helps but there is an app called Juice Defender. I found it seems to help out a bit as far as battery life.

Upvote 0
Well I took the plunge and did a factory reset. I am now on 4.08. Woke up to a 33% battery after charging full before I went to bed. Battery use shows the screen using 50%, wifi at 10% and everything else below 10%. Is it the screen that is killing my battery? I have if off at night.... Could it be the battery itself(newer aftermarket 1900 battery)? I'm exploring the battery issue. I'm switching out to the original battery tonight and will use it over night and see what I wake up to. I've only downloaded certain apps since the factory reset that I use all the time like launcher x pro, app organizer and widget locker. That's where I'm at. It's either the battery itself or one of those apps staying awake. Or something else I have no idea about. Guess I'll see tomorrow morning.

Upvote 0
bcram, welcome to the forum.
Here are my basic settings.

Widgets in use:
BattStat
Weatherbug, set to update every hour.

Bluetooth - always on
WiFi Sleep Policy - never (I'm nearly always in a known WiFi spot, so this won't spend much time 'hunting', which I assume draws more battery than actually being connected)
Brightness - automatic (I'm generally indoors, so no need for a super bright display, typically it's at about 40% brightness).

In my experience active wallpapers are a HUGE battery drain, and some widgets are also. If your home screen is loaded with widgets, or you have widget(s) that update often try backing off on them.

I've used my phone for about 1.5 hours today doing various things and it's at 73% charge. This is fairly normal usage for me. If I were to not use it for the rest of the night it would lose another 3-5% or so by morning. At that rate I can go two more days and still have some charge remaining. In reality I wouldn't try for the third day on a single charge, I always plug it any night when it's around 50% (or less). Though when it's at 70-ish % at the end of the day, like today, I may or may not plug it in.

Edit: I used my phone last night for another 15 minutes or so, for email and texting. When I woke up this morning it showed a 64% charge.

Upvote 0
Battery life has dropped a bit since the GB update. Biggest culprit seems to be Facebook (avg - 27%). Not rooted and auto-sync for FB is turned off. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled, all with no change.

Any ideas? Is there a FB setting I am missing? Thanks

Not sure what I did, but my battery life is now the best it has ever been. Been awake for 8 hours and through normal use, sitting at 81%. Before GB, I'd be in the mid 60's. Fbook is no longer hogging the battery.

Also, turned off the fast boot so I can bump charge in the AM to 100%.

Upvote 0
So I've had the OTA gingerbread for awhile now and I can also report that my battery life is better, I'd say about 20-25% better than when I had Froyo. With the same pattern of daily use, by the end of the day I still have several bars of green where with Froyo I was starting to get yellow bars.

Most of all, I have noticed that my phone is so much snapier and actually quite fast at browsing, sometimes it feels like I have 4g speed but I know that's not the case, still going to the same webpages on my phone are alot quicker with gingerbread than when I had Froyo.

This will hold me out until the iphone 5 is released next year. I admit the original incredible has been good to me. The screen clarity is still amazing to me. :)

Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed battery drain when leaving wifi on overnight? This has happened three times now. My internet connection at the house is solid so I'm not concerned there. More concerned with the GB update no playing well with wifi. Staying on 3g there are no problems, only when on wifi. This started after I factory reset for GB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones