• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gizmodo review is brutal... thinking twice now.

On top of what everyone else here has written, it's absurd that this review of a pre-release model came out when production models are readily available.

If Gizmodo and the reviewer were responsible, they would have checked out the released version of the software before lambasting it like this.

It's anyone's guess whether the review would have been better, but it speaks volumes that they didn't even bother to check it out.

Reactions: ckochinsky125
Upvote 0
Motorola Droid X Review

Sitting here waiting for work to end to go pick up my DX I read this. Now I am thinking twice about this phone. Seems they are being honest rather than being blinded by the newest gadget syndrome. Maybe this thing isnt worth my time and i should just get a DInc?

Yeah you can delete what little moto blur there is. I love the phone. To me its about how i feel not what some reviewer says about it. Its like everything else its not going to get a perfect review as each person has the own way they feel about something. TO me you wont be disappointed with this phone but thats just me. If you believe this then wait and don't get it

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
wow, the review of the Dx with the efuse chip from gizmodo sounds more like a child had his sucker taken away than a review...i personally can't stand gizmodo b/c like said up above they are all apple fanboys...
this should show you how much stock to put into their reviews,
"Maybe you just want to buy American as much as you can and realize that Motorola and Apple are (sort of) our last bastions of hope in a mobile marketplace dominated by excellent designer-manufacturers like HTC, Samsung, LG and RIM.

take notice of the bolded parts....they said RIM makes execellent devices...hahahaha
i am leaving BB for the droidx...i've had a storm for a long time now, and i have never called this or any other BB i've used or seen an excellent device...maybe when BB first came out and all it did was email were they excellent devices...

as for the whole locked down phone argument...its stupid b/c their favorite device, the iPhone is probably the most locked down, least customizable smartphone on the market...

like others have said...don't let one review turn you away from a product, test it for yourself.

i wasn't sure if i'd like it until i used the Dx, and mine is in transit as of 4pm so i can't wait to get it!!!

Upvote 0
wow, the review of the Dx with the efuse chip from gizmodo sounds more like a child had his sucker taken away than a review...i personally can't stand gizmodo b/c like said up above they are all apple fanboys...
this should show you how much stock to put into their reviews,
"Maybe you just want to buy American as much as you can and realize that Motorola and Apple are (sort of) our last bastions of hope in a mobile marketplace dominated by excellent designer-manufacturers like HTC, Samsung, LG and RIM.

take notice of the bolded parts....they said RIM makes execellent devices...hahahaha
i am leaving BB for the droidx...i've had a storm for a long time now, and i have never called this or any other BB i've used or seen an excellent device...maybe when BB first came out and all it did was email were they excellent devices...

as for the whole locked down phone argument...its stupid b/c their favorite device, the iPhone is probably the most locked down, least customizable smartphone on the market...

like others have said...don't let one review turn you away from a product, test it for yourself.

i wasn't sure if i'd like it until i used the Dx, and mine is in transit as of 4pm so i can't wait to get it!!!

Yeah they favor apple but this review makes me laugh. Its almost like maybe the reviewer is jealous he doesnt have one or whatever who knows. Maybe he needs a timeout to calm down lol

Upvote 0
I stopped reading when he started bitching about how all the screens were littered with crap that you had to clear up before you could even use the phone. I think it's a pretty good indication of whether someone has actually used the thing or just regurgitated a bunch of bullshit from other sources.

Unless my phone was somehow loaded vastly different from all the others 2 of the pages have 2 large widgets each that could be cleared in seconds and another 2 could easily be cleared within 30 seconds if you wanted nothing but empty screens.

Frankly I think moto showed some thought in how they laid the screens out. I didn't touch the screen with the quick contacts/phone shortcuts as it seemed very well laid out. Ditto for the last screen when scrolling right with the news and tips widget.

I stopped reading Giz awhile ago, after the Iphone thing went down they've been bitching about damn near everything.

Upvote 0
Despite their extreme Apple bias, I do browse Giz occasionally and try to ignore all Apple posts (which can be hard to do). I was horrified when I saw this review--er, endless rant. The reviewer basically picked up a thesaurus and bashed the DX with it. I honestly couldn't believe this review. Almost every review I've read was very positive about the X, or neutral at the very least, so how can Giz just show up and make a completely negative review with little to base it on other than the UI. Seriously, who cares about the UI when you can practically make it disappear and then customize it the way you want.

Some hilarious excerpts from the review:
"As a pure expression of the limits of mobile hardware and industrial design, the Droid X is kind of a beautiful thing. But that's about the only good thing about the Droid X."

"...is the shudder-inducing poster child for the horrors that can occur when most hardware companies try to make software. It's ugly, scattershot, and confusing. It feels almost malicious."

" it's a showstopping phone whose potential is mutilated by ill-considered, ugly software that's poorly done. "

"Watching this phone sputter, which it does occasionally for the even most menial of tasks, like opening the apps menu, feels more egregiously tortuous than normal, given its prodigious size and weight. It's brain-stabbingly maddening if you actually know what's inside of all that."

And their reason for one of the pluses at the end... "It's large and scoopy, so can beat potential muggers to death with it"

What even.

Upvote 0
they are just pulling at strings trying to go against a phone they are mad at cause it puts the iphone to shame. like it has been said in many posts and threads on here and everywhere else. you can hide the moto blurr if you don't like it. but from what i have been seeing is like 80% of the people either like how it is and the features that it brings or they just simply get rid or the widgest they don't like.

Upvote 0
I do not agree with the review and I have tested the X out. I am keeping my Inc mainly because the sound quality from the 3.5mm is better, the microsd is hot swappable and the signal reception is the same as the X. People were assuming the X would be a lot better (including me) with signal reception and is the same. Ironic.

Still, X is a great device and folks that buy it should love it.

One concern people are posting is the wifi appears to be weak on the X. I did not test this to confirm.

I get better sound out of the jack from the X . I had a pair of ear buds that we all based out and muffled on the Dinc I had for a month and now they sound much clearer and the muffled sound is gone and it has a wider range of sounds also. I'm not a audio head so if I can tell the defference it's a pretty big change.

If you're a hot swapper you won't like the X's SD card design but I'm guessing must will put a card in and forget about it until it's full. Seriously where do you keep those little things if you swap them? I'd be losing them all the time!

The signal comes from the towers the question is what the device can do with a weak signal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones