• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Glass camera lens covers for Desire (for sale?)

smssms

Apr 24, 2011
I'm making (by hand) a glass lens cover to replace the scratched plastic one on my HTC Desire.

I've done mine now and it works a treat. But, I've got all the practice attempts I made on the way. They have quite scraggy edges but the bit the camera looks though is fine.

I fitted mine by using a normal office hole punch to put a hole in some double-sided sticky tape, then sticking the lens over the hole. Next I cut around the outside of the lens - voil

Attachments

• lenses.jpg
    lenses.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: DCFC79
A close examination of the Desire camera lens after removing the back cover shows that it is protected by a square piece of glass located across the front of the lens, as can be seen in the attached photo.
Therefore, the lens itself is already protected from direct contact by dust.
Removing the back and occasionally giving this internal glass cover a quick wipe with a lint free cloth is all that is necessary to keep your lens clean. I'm still really pleased with the results from just popping the plastic and leaving the optically perfect :) hole.
Putting yet another piece of glass in front of the lens will just cause further deterioration of the quality, although the lens is probably not that high quality anyway so I guess it won't really be noticeable. You'll need to be really careful to keep glue, fingerprints and other dirt of the bit of glass you're gluing in.
Desire%20Lens%20Cover.jpg

Reactions: tobydjones
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones