1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gmail App that leave emails on server

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Gabedog, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Gabedog

Gabedog Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    Does anyone know if there is a mobile app that will leave emails on the server? I don't want emails stored on my smart phone or notepad for security reasons.

Advertisement

2. PaulS

PaulS Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 24, 2013
    Male
    This is weird as my stock Gmail app doesn't delete the emails on my Web page/PC version.I don't have a Google+ account so I don't know if that counts for anything?

3. wshepard

wshepard Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    Log into Gmail with a browser. Go to Mail Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. Select Leave a copy on server there.

4. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal
    MailDroid asks when delete if you want to delete just from the device or device and server.

5. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

Oct 17, 2010
    I wish ....
    Sunny Cornwall
    You need to look up the differences between 'pop' (or pop3) email servers and 'imap', then at how Google implements these. You'd then have a better understanding of what you're looking for and what/why people are suggesting what they're suggesting.

Dave

PS: sorry, don't use gmail so can't recommend a good client for it.

6. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Gabe,

Gmail is an imap style server, so your mail stays on the server until you delete it. Your Gmail app has the ability to limit the number of days to sync to your phone. There should also be settings to show or not show pictures and to download or not download attachments. Regardless of mail app, it is going to sync, at a bare minimum, the header of the available messages. One option that you do have is to turn sync off for your gmail account and then only turn it on when you want to check your mail. I would think this would really be a pain, but if you set the gmail app to only sync 1 day's worth of e-mail, you could turn on sync, deal with the messages that have come in since the last sync and then turn sync back off. I'm not even sure if the above is doable, but I would think you could if you wanted.

Its doubtful, but I hope this helps,

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Gabedog, welcome to Android Forums.

I think I understand what you are asking. Here are the technical problems with using an app or a mail client. First, you are going to be required to store some of your credentials to set up the account, even if it is just the server addresses. Then, once it connects to the incoming server, it will download the message headers and store them locally on the device. This is to keep the traffic to the server and your device most efficient. Even if you set your phone to sync to an imap server, once you've read the mail, a copy will be stored so you will always have some of your message headers visible in the account.

I think your best option is to use a browser and access the web interface and read your mail from there. Since security is the main issue, use a browser that doesn't save history and make sure you tell it not to remember your login credentials. You can create a shortcut to the URL bookmark to make access a little more convenient, but that's pretty much the only way you can read your gmail without saving a local copy.

teddyearp and Slug like this.