• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail App that leave emails on server

Gabe,

Gmail is an imap style server, so your mail stays on the server until you delete it. Your Gmail app has the ability to limit the number of days to sync to your phone. There should also be settings to show or not show pictures and to download or not download attachments. Regardless of mail app, it is going to sync, at a bare minimum, the header of the available messages. One option that you do have is to turn sync off for your gmail account and then only turn it on when you want to check your mail. I would think this would really be a pain, but if you set the gmail app to only sync 1 day's worth of e-mail, you could turn on sync, deal with the messages that have come in since the last sync and then turn sync back off. I'm not even sure if the above is doable, but I would think you could if you wanted.

Its doubtful, but I hope this helps,

Upvote 0
Gabedog, welcome to Android Forums.

I think I understand what you are asking. Here are the technical problems with using an app or a mail client. First, you are going to be required to store some of your credentials to set up the account, even if it is just the server addresses. Then, once it connects to the incoming server, it will download the message headers and store them locally on the device. This is to keep the traffic to the server and your device most efficient. Even if you set your phone to sync to an imap server, once you've read the mail, a copy will be stored so you will always have some of your message headers visible in the account.

I think your best option is to use a browser and access the web interface and read your mail from there. Since security is the main issue, use a browser that doesn't save history and make sure you tell it not to remember your login credentials. You can create a shortcut to the URL bookmark to make access a little more convenient, but that's pretty much the only way you can read your gmail without saving a local copy.

Reactions: teddyearp and Slug
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones