• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reviews, I'm tired of being asked to leave one

how about the many times a modern-ish app on first or second launch nags you to ''plz rate 5 starz on play store' without a 'frell off' option? As much as I prefer Android 2.3 era apps that do not do that, there's sadly not enough left as available APKs to work as the be-all replacement. for example, there was no Smartthings app for Android 2.3, or Samsung Health, or YouTube Music. so whether or not I agree with it, I'm forced to keep a few modern apps on my phone, but boy do I hate when they nag me to give them a five star review. I don't use app stores bruh! If your app sucks, it gets uninstalled. end of story.

I don't even take online reviews seriously anyway, as I find I love what everyone else hates (for example, I use Bixby all the time because it does things the Assistant still fails to do, but if I listened to reviews online, I would likely have never given it a chance and would be here ranting about how Google Assistant still cannot send a sms to my girlfriend or clear my notifications) and so whatever word of mouth means anything to me often comes from being around real people. I would firmly in the 1980s pick the $299 Zenith Space Command TV over the $99 Sankyo TV because people I really knew often wanted the one that lasts and that ended up being the former, but today, sadly, with everything being Made in China, neither brand loyalty nor reviews means jack..Only my personal experience of which things were utter garbage or what things tended to be worth a crap matters to me. For example, I will NEVER own a Subaru ever again, because the experiences with my first car, a 1988 XT6, told me that Subaru is total garbage. In fact, it tainted my views of any foreign car. Yeah yeah I own a Honda Ridgeline, but that thing was mostly built in USA and is made like an american vehicle.

Upvote 0
I used to have a life, then I discovered internet shopping !

I use 3 email accounts that have at least 6 folders in each and delete over 300 emails every couple of days.

Using Thunderbird and it is very flexible with applying filters for email, the auto spam folder works quite well and once I assign certain addresses to folder it sorts them all accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Thunderbird either hates my email account or hates my internet, because each time I have tried to use it, it complained that it exceeded the max number of connections or download one email and stopped after that and never downloaded another.

I am the curmudgeon who's still using Windows Mail from Vista or Windows Live Mail 2010 from Windows 7, or Kmail 1.x on Linux.

I don't like internet shopping. I like to actually physically see what I am about to buy. With the internet, you never know if it's a scam, never truly know the country of origin, and likely deal with the problems with United Parcel Smashers destroying anything with 'fragile' written on it. The old meme from Nickelodeon's Rocko's Modern Life about 'what does the word frag-il-e mean?' was ahead of its time.

I might have been forced to use Amazon or a stupid app and curbside during the lockdown, but I sure as heck ain't gonna live like that forever. None of that was convenient, and me being really against change I am better off doing things the way I have been for years. If it worked then it should work now.

I got rid of my junk email issue by hitting 'unsubscribe' to some, changing email preferences on sites I am a member with, or using identity protection services to delete my info from anything that got captured via telemetry (screw you, Windows 10)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The exceeded connections limit was just one of the many issues I had with Thunderbird. I just went back to what worked for me and still works today. I'll use what continues to work for my entire life if possible. While 3G shutdowns might have killed my HTC Thunderbolt, they can't come into my home and force me to upgrade my wifi router. If the servers for my accounts ultimately break compatibility to those apps I am comfortable using, I'll find other means. I don't give up. I fight constant change. If I'm happy using what I have been for years, just let me do that.

These days, I only consider buying new if 1) the old solution truly does not exist anymore and 2) if it's an actual improvement over what I've been doing. Colour TV was obviously an improvement over black and white TV, but I don't see the improvement with a 4K or other TV that will break in a couple of years when all the content I prefer to watch is standard def and just looks ugly on a modern TV.

Modern cars are too full of screens and 'smarts' I don't want. Plus are totally uncomfortable on long trips. My girlfriend lives 540 miles from me. I still am looking out for an old Buick LeSabre (the last to keep the truly-American couch-like conservative interiors and floaty rides until the marque got replaced) to replace my Saturn ION. I don't like my back being sore or my butt going numb because every car made today is stiff as a board and rides like a military Jeep in that you feel every bump.

If a 'modern' solution just takes something that worked fine and was simple and just makes it endlessly frustrating and worse than it replaces, well, it's not an improvement I want. That's more common now than it ever has been in my entire life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones