• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Going to buy NC tonight! will root soon!

im in #androidforums on irc on the freenode server. also in #nookcolor.

you want to select softkeys as default home. a single tap on N will bring you to home, and a double tap will bring up softkeys.

go through the steps on the wiki to enable the market.

no dice. the android market works I downloaded some stuff (but i can't find where the apps go to...?? if i click into the soft keys app i can see "recent" stuff and thats how i can get to angry birds seasons...

its all kinds a messed.

i can see gmail inbox in the app, but nothing else works.

Upvote 0
with the stock home, you have to either reboot to see apps in the extras or use the market to open them

download and install a home replacement like Zeam. after it downloads, hit 'home', set softkeys as the default home, then click the softkey configuration button and set 'zeam' as the home for physical N button. then hit home to have it open up zeam.

everything you are experiencing is how its supposed to be working.

Reactions: bluewhite79
Upvote 0
with the stock home, you have to either reboot to see apps in the extras or use the market to open them

download and install a home replacement like Zeam. after it downloads, hit 'home', set softkeys as the default home, then click the softkey configuration button and set 'zeam' as the home for physical N button. then hit home to have it open up zeam.

ok, so its normal for the "n" not to work right now?

i am a moron with this so i need a little clarification. Should I try a reboot to see if the physical "n" works?

and then after that, i should download zeam?

Upvote 0
ok, so its normal for the "n" not to work right now?

i am a moron with this so i need a little clarification. Should I try a reboot to see if the physical "n" works?

and then after that, i should download zeam?

I don't remember the "n" loosing it's functionality but yeah, I'd reboot.

You are going to want to install a new home replacement (zeam, ADW, or ADW EX are all good choices).

You can always change your defaults by downloading "homeswitcher" from the market (free app) or by going to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Select your current home replacement app (in this case it sounds like it's softkeys) and then select "clear defaults".

Upvote 0

I don't remember the "n" loosing it's functionality but yeah, I'd reboot.

You are going to want to install a new home replacement (zeam, ADW, or ADW EX are all good choices).

You can always change your defaults by downloading "homeswitcher" from the market (free app) or by going to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Select your current home replacement app (in this case it sounds like it's softkeys) and then select "clear defaults".

i downloaded zeam and did a reset. now, when i hit the physical N, it gives me a choice of "home" soft keys, and zeam.

Upvote 0
i downloaded zeam and did a reset. now, when i hit the physical N, it gives me a choice of "home" soft keys, and zeam.

So now you should do as cabbie instructed. Soft keys needs to be the default (so they work) but then you select zeam as your preferred launcher in the soft keys settings.

It works much like quickdesk or widgetlocker does if you are familiar with those.

Upvote 0
So now you should do as cabbie instructed. Soft keys needs to be the default (so they work) but then you select zeam as your preferred launcher in the soft keys settings.

It works much like quickdesk or widgetlocker does if you are familiar with those.

not familiar with android at all. wife has an eris and thats it.

so there's got to be some setting under the "tools" section of the soft keys app to set it to default.

Upvote 0
not familiar with android at all. wife has an eris and thats it.

so there's got to be some setting under the "tools" section of the soft keys app to set it to default.

Yes. when you press the "n" select soft keys and check the box to set as default. Then go into soft keys tools menu (by selecting the app in the extras or app drawer and then pressing the button that looks like a hammer and screwdriver) and set the following:

Under Virtual Home Button:
Normal Press -> Zeam

Now if you want to customize it further, go to Physical Home Button and set up the single and double tap functions.

There are more options but honestly I don't have much experience with it...I remapped the volume+ and volume- keys to work as the back and menu keys :)

Upvote 0
Yes. when you press the "n" select soft keys and check the box to set as default. Then go into soft keys tools menu (by selecting the app in the extras or app drawer and then pressing the button that looks like a hammer and screwdriver) and set the following:

Under Virtual Home Button:
Normal Press -> Zeam

Now if you want to customize it further, go to Physical Home Button and set up the single and double tap functions.

There are more options but honestly I don't have much experience with it...I remapped the volume+ and volume- keys to work as the back and menu keys :)

that's it! thank you for the tutorial. This is actually feeling like a real tablet already!

ok, now...loading live wallpapers...sucker just sits there saying 'loading live wallpaper" and it won't load.

Upvote 0
that's it! thank you for the tutorial. This is actually feeling like a real tablet already!

No Problem. Glad to hear you're good to go! I really hate telling people "I don't know what else to tell ya"...just doesn't sit well with me :D

The NC is just a little different than most tablets. It's not bad...just a little quirky. When 3.0 (Honeycomb) is stable, you will want to give that a shot and that REALLY makes it feel like a tablet!

With 3.0...you don't need soft keys or hardware keys for the back, home, and menu buttons...they are built into the OS! :)

Upvote 0
No Problem. Glad to hear you're good to go! I really hate telling people "I don't know what else to tell ya"...just doesn't sit well with me :D

The NC is just a little different than most tablets. It's not bad...just a little quirky. When 3.0 (Honeycomb) is stable, you will want to give that a shot and that REALLY makes it feel like a tablet!

With 3.0...you don't need soft keys or hardware keys for the back, home, and menu buttons...they are built into the OS! :)

why do live wallpapers not work? gotta be some work around here. even my original wallpaper is "zoomed" in. and i can't set it to the way it was before.

Upvote 0
why do live wallpapers not work? gotta be some work around here. even my original wallpaper is "zoomed" in. and i can't set it to the way it was before.

Most are just broken...some of the the LWP's work (but not the cool ones). Just use a static wallpaper...it's the best option IMO.

Select a new wallpaper and the "zoomed" in problem should go away (but I'm just guessing).

Upvote 0
i selected a couple other normal ones but they're all zoomed for some odd reason.

Where are you selecting the wallpapers from? Are you pressing menu > set wallpaper > pictures > gallery?

If so, when you select a picture you'll see an orange box that you can expand or contract to adjust the size of the image you want included as the background. Make sure you expand the box as large as it will go to capture the full wallpaper size.

I'd just recommend using an app like "Flikie Wallpapers HD". Lots of wallpaper selection and easy to apply and save them.

Also, I read that many of the live wallpapers in the market do work so download some of the free ones available and see which ones work. LWP's consume battery, make your device feel more sluggish...so I don't recommend them...but to each their own ;)

Upvote 0
thanks for the tip.

pulse app is unbelievable. this thing is very snappy.

youtube app is working great too!

you recommend a task killer just like the any other android device?

I always recommend a task killer FOR THE PURPOSES OF killing certain apps that you don't want running. Don't set automatically killing of apps...just go in and select which ones you want to kill. "Kill All" is okay to do...just don't let the application decide when to kill apps...let android do that.

Automatic Task Killer is a good choice.

Make sense?

Upvote 0
I personally don't recommend auto task killers. I do recommend having a task manager and a variety of apps like Astro and System Monitor have one integrated into it. Treat these like you would CTRL-ALT-DEL in Windows: you only use it when an app is misbehaving.

Android has built-in task killing so having ATK is redundant and can actually hurt your battery life.

For better battery life, you might consider the undervolted kernels by dalingren or apps like juice defender.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones