1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Goldcard > Root > Custom ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gibbs1984, Jan 19, 2011.

1. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert

OK, hopefully this isn't long :D

I originally rooted my HTC Desire a few months ago and installed a custom ROM, but I had some major browser crashing problems, I originally thought it was a ROM problem but since then I've literally been through all the ROM's out there, Stock ROM's, Sense ROM's, SenseHD ROM's etc etc and still the problem existed, so I put it down to an error when I rooted.

So, yesterday I created a Goldcard and flashed the RUU ROM from here, and everything is working perfectly again, assuming it's because I'm not rooted anymore.

When I rooted I did it through the Linux version of Unrevoked so maybe that was the problem, I don't know.

What I want to do now is root my phone again and install the LeeDrOiD ROM as I really like it, hoping that if I use Unrevoked through Windows 7 there won't be any hiccups.

My questions are:

1) Can I root now I've Flashed a RUU ROM?
    2) If I can root, if I hit problems again can I use the Goldcard to Flash the RUU ROM again (and unroot) without any problems?
    3) I have two SD Cards but can I format the one I created the Goldcard on and use it to Flash a custom ROM?

I'm assuming I can as the RUU ROM is sort of Flashed the same way as custom ROM's and is just another ROM but I just want to make sure I can come back to the RUU ROM if I hit problems again because if I do I'll go down the root of forcing the apps to SD without rooting, although I would prefer a custom ROM with all the extras I get.

Hope that made sense :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Android Expert

Yes

Yes

Yes

N.B. What's forcing apps to SD got to do with it?

3. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert

Because although I like the LeeDrOiD ROM for it's extra features it also allows all apps to be installed on the SD Card (as I'd imagine you know anyway :p) which is what I need too as I like apps \o/

But if I couldn't root again then I would have used the force the apps to SD Card without rooting option.

Thanks for your answer though, much appreciated.

Another question though, as I have two SD Cards, can I keep the Goldcard one as it is, and use the already formatted correctly one to Flash the LeeDrOiD ROM?

4. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Android Expert

You only need the goldcard to run the RUU or adb's etc. You don't need to have a gold card installed to flash.

5. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert

Cool, thanks.

I've rooted now after installing the drivers for Windows 7, gonna Flash a new ROM and see if everything is OK, fingers crossed.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews