• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Goldcard > Root > Custom ROM

OK, hopefully this isn't long :D

I originally rooted my HTC Desire a few months ago and installed a custom ROM, but I had some major browser crashing problems, I originally thought it was a ROM problem but since then I've literally been through all the ROM's out there, Stock ROM's, Sense ROM's, SenseHD ROM's etc etc and still the problem existed, so I put it down to an error when I rooted.

So, yesterday I created a Goldcard and flashed the RUU ROM from here, and everything is working perfectly again, assuming it's because I'm not rooted anymore.

When I rooted I did it through the Linux version of Unrevoked so maybe that was the problem, I don't know.

What I want to do now is root my phone again and install the LeeDrOiD ROM as I really like it, hoping that if I use Unrevoked through Windows 7 there won't be any hiccups.

My questions are:

1) Can I root now I've Flashed a RUU ROM?
2) If I can root, if I hit problems again can I use the Goldcard to Flash the RUU ROM again (and unroot) without any problems?
3) I have two SD Cards but can I format the one I created the Goldcard on and use it to Flash a custom ROM?

I'm assuming I can as the RUU ROM is sort of Flashed the same way as custom ROM's and is just another ROM but I just want to make sure I can come back to the RUU ROM if I hit problems again because if I do I'll go down the root of forcing the apps to SD without rooting, although I would prefer a custom ROM with all the extras I get.

Hope that made sense :)

Yes

Yes

Yes

N.B. What's forcing apps to SD got to do with it?
Because although I like the LeeDrOiD ROM for it's extra features it also allows all apps to be installed on the SD Card (as I'd imagine you know anyway :p) which is what I need too as I like apps \o/

But if I couldn't root again then I would have used the force the apps to SD Card without rooting option.

Thanks for your answer though, much appreciated.

Another question though, as I have two SD Cards, can I keep the Goldcard one as it is, and use the already formatted correctly one to Flash the LeeDrOiD ROM?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones