• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reviews Goodbye LG V40

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
I have finally put my LG V40 out to pasture. I was planning on using it for a lot longer but it couldn't handle the load I placed on it. Also, for some unknown reason, the LG phone handle low memory situations unlike most phones. My most important app, my calendar, kept missing alarms. As a beta tester for this app, I was constantly working with the programmer to fix the issue. We finally quit. My new phone is the Google Pixel 6 Pro with Android 12. Using most of the same apps, I haven't missed an alarm.
FYI: I like the new phone and the combination of the new company and Android 12 is pretty good. It does take a while to get used to and I'm still learning how to use all the new ways of doing things. There are a few things that I miss;
1. No earphone jack
2. Adjusting the earphone sound
3. Manipulating screenshots
4. And a few more minor things

My new phone has a few things that the LG phone didn't. I don't know if it's the different manufacturer or Android 12 that's responsible. Two are phone calls & spell correcting. My knew phone handles being put on hold for me. It senses a computer on the other end and mutes the sound. When someone on the other end finally answers the call, my phone rings me to let me know. It also spell checks much better and points out errors in grammar. The phone is definitely worth looking into. Also, for the first time ever, I get updates quickly. In the month I've had it, it has received 2 updates.
One last drawback. You have to buy new chargers for a Google phone. All the phones prior to my Google used Qualcomm's Quick Charge system. The Google phone using the PD, power delivery system, and is not compatible with the Qualcomm system.
Good luck to you all!

Last edited:
Reactions: evagranch
Still using mine, Mark.
Plan on keeping it till it shows signs of imminent demise. I do keep up with the pixel phones because my wife has had 2 now. It's good that the pixel 6 makes your approval list.

Like you, I was planning on keeping the LG V40 for a long time. I like the phone but LG doesn't deal with low memory like other phones. Good luck and I plan on monitoring this forum for a while. One last thing. I found an app that was a big help when going from Android 10 to 12. A number of important apps were not available on the new phone. They didn't even show on Google Play. There is a free app that is truly great. It's meant to transfer files and/or apps from one phone to another even when the Android versions are different. It's called Share It Lite. It transfered 3 GB of files in under 5 minutes. It also copied the .apk file of any app on my LG phone to my Pixel 6 Pro. It saved me from trying to find replacement apps. It's worth remembering. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
Still have mine as a backup. The resell value sucks for LG so I am just keeping it. I may donate it down the road. Great phone. I loved mine. I have the V60 and the Pixel 6 now
I've kept my LG V40 too as a backup. But why did you get a V60 when LG is out of the cell phone business? Just curious. I was thinking about getting a V60 before the Pixel 6 Pro came out but I didn't want an orphan phone. Which phone is your main one?

Upvote 0
I've kept my LG V40 too as a backup. But why did you get a V60 when LG is out of the cell phone business? Just curious. I was thinking about getting a V60 before the Pixel 6 Pro came out but I didn't want an orphan phone. Which phone is your main one?

I use both. Right now I'm using the V60 but will probably switch to the pixel in a couple of weeks. I like them both.

For audio/streaming music the V60 is my main choice. Both have great cameras.

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
Congrats!
And Thanks for the Pixel 6 Pro reviewI've been on the fence after hearing about the battery life and finger sensor but I heard it's gotten a lot better with the recent update.

I'm sad to see LG go also. Every other phone brand I've owned had problems that made me want to change. The LG phones just worked for me. My camera improved a lot in the time I owned it, the standby battery usage never got worse like all my Samsung phones did. The performance was never slow or buggy.

Last edited:
Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0
Congrats!

And Thanks for the Pixel 6 Pro reviewI've been on the fence after hearing about the battery life and finger sensor but I heard it's gotten a lot better with the recent update.

I'm sad to see LG go also. Every other phone brand I've owned had problems that made me want to change. The LG phones just worked for me. My camera improved a lot in the time I owned it, the standby battery usage never got worse like all my Samsung phones did. The performance was never slow or buggy.

I guess I've been lucky with the Pixel 6 Pro. I haven't had any of the problems that were publicized. The Whitestone screen protector works perfectly with the fingerprint sensor. Anker cables also work with the Google charger and a Belkin charger. Just make sure you get PD (power delivery) chargers. The chargers we used for the LG V40 aren't compatible.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
2½ Month review:
After a few months of getting use to a new manufacturer and a new Android, I really like this phone. It does so much more than the LG V40 that they really cannot be compared. But I can't say which is responsible the phone or the Android but probably both. The battery is much better. It lasts longer and charges faster. The increase in size doesn't bother me. I haven't had most of the problems that have been posted and I love getting updates on time (for once in my life). I did get the Pro with 512 gb so it was the most expensive phone I have ever purchased. So far it was worth it.
The only negative is I had to change a few important apps because they won't work in Android 12. I could side load some but my keyboard with macros was over. I found a replacement for the macros but it's clumsy to use.
Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones