• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google 3.1 Roll Out for XOOM

Now THAT is a great perspective, but only works IF Google and Nvidia push for the Netflix app like Qualcomm has. No choice to use Netflix suggests a narrow-minded effort in forcing people to spend $5 a pop, when they could spend a fraction with a Netflix account AND have the option of the download service when needed or wanted.

*Shrug* I've been using PlayOn all along anyway, I'd like a Netflix app but it's not a big deal to me. I DO really like the easy option to get offline videos, even if it's a tad expensive.

No option suggests the lack of Netflix is very intentional and not the same as Apple having iTunes and Netflix as an option.

Again, disagree. I highly doubt that google is the one blocking Netflix, it's pretty clear the problem is Netflix and hardware DRM. I have no doubt that future tablets (if not the Xoom) will have Netflix and the movie store both.

Also, finally got my update :)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
you must make sure the cable is a OTG style cable. this is the only way to get the xoom to talk to other gadgets...

My Canon Rebal XTI and Xoom are not talking. I bought a mini to full size usb connector, and that doesn't seem to work. Anything special need? A mouse doesn't work plugged into it either.

Reactions: darndot
Upvote 0
Yes, and it totally messed up Wi-Fi support after the upgrade ! :-(
Switching over to a static IP address helped, but it sucks not having proper Wi-Fi DHCP support any more. Hope, it soom gets fixed, else, I'd say avoid updating if you can...?

Messed up WiFi support? :thinking: Hmm... mine seems to work fine. So far every wireless network that I've connected my Xoom to has worked without issue. Is your Xoom 3G or WiFi only?

Oh and Welcome to the Android Forums!

Upvote 0
Messed up WiFi support? :thinking: Hmm... mine seems to work fine. So far every wireless network that I've connected my Xoom to has worked without issue. Is your Xoom 3G or WiFi only?

Oh and Welcome to the Android Forums!

What he said. Mine runs wifi most of the time (but is the 3G model) and it works fine. The thing I do notice is that the little wifi indicator now seem to have become animated (maybe with up/down arrow?). If anyone has info on this I'd appreciate a pointer or enlightenment. But as I said all is working fine.

Upvote 0
Few questions, points:

1. Micro-sd working yet? No, I am not baiting, but figure they would have the sense to fix it by now (I do not know, so am asking)

2. Unless in a country that can not get Netflix, the rental program seems a more expensive solution than a Netflix membership. I wonder if no Netflix on Tegra 2 is on purpose to force tablet users into a more expensive option?

3. Anybody try a 64gb thumbdrive yet with the semi-host function? Probably not enough juice, but does not hurt to ask. My guess is 16gb are probably the max.

4. Seems Nvidia's focus is off, since they have made zero effort in improving video codec support or any effort in a Netflix relationship.

Added:

After looking at the prices above, YES, the rental program is CRAZY overpriced and probably a reason behind no Netflix on tablets. Netflix on my Incredible works great and looks great on the iPad 2, so not seeing how this rental program makes any sense compared to Netflix- but that again probably explains why no Netflix in the first place.

Well the OTG cable works great with a keyboard, a mouse, a PS3 controller... I plugged it into a camera... all these things worked fine. I plugged it into a USB stick... I could see the little light going like it was searching for something then nothin'.

Google said that if there was software that recognized the device, it would open that app and let you do stuff with it. They've also said that Honeycomb was not designed to allow people access to the file system without root. So if someone did make an app to access the USB stick, it might have to be a root app unless someone can do something fancy with the USB host API they recently published.

BTW, there is Netflix on Android now and they've repeatedly implied that the Xoom will have it. I hate streaming video so I could care less about it, but recognize that others do not share my contempt for the cloud.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones