• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Assistant's APK Name...

EvoVAlpha

Aug 27, 2012
Hope this is in the right sub, but I'll make it quick either way... I've been using App Inspector to help identify apps I want to uninstall for a while... I found the instructions on another forum about how to get rid of bloatware. With that said, I'd love to be able to get rid of Google Assistant for any number of reasons.

So does anyone know the name of the APK? I looked around Google and didn't find anything helpful, and I'd love to find it so I could at least give it a try... Thanks in advance!

Google Assistant is part of the "Google" app. It doesn't have a separate apk of its own. I don't offhand know the package name (my current phone isn't rooted, and my previous one didn't have Assistant).

Since this lives in the ROM you won't gain any more space by removing it (root required, obvs) than you would by uninstalling updates, clearing data and disabling (no root required). Getting rid of it, however it is done, will also kill the Google search widget if you use that, and I think might kill voice search in at least some apps. As I never use any of those things I disabled it a few years ago, with no adverse effects on the features and apps I use.

Do note that if you have ever enabled Assistant that will have enabled every form of data collection and history logging Google can do, and turning Assistant off will not revert those settings. So if you are trying to control Google's data collection you will have to go through everything and turn off what you don't want manually.

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze – An LG Tribute Empire, and nope no root!

@Hadron – Makes sense, and yeah honestly I really don’t use any of those features, so if they were messed with in any way I’d be fine. With this phone I haven’t enabled it but sure, I wouldn’t be surprised with needing to recheck settings and the like. But I love how when you randomly touch something or do so for too long, it comes right back up ready and willing to go!

@codesplice – Great, I checked for it in App Inspector and didn’t see it, but I’ll try to uninstall it anyway and go from there… And no worries, like I said I really don’t use those features and can reset if necessary.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones