• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google compatible browser for HTC Wildfire S?

Templar

Lurker
Aug 20, 2020
I'm one of these rare beasts (I'm 76) that only uses his mobile to call the garage when I break down or say "Hi!" to the grandkids. However, recently, my daughter gave me one of her old mobiles, an HTC Wildfire S, and I realised I might be able to access my emails (Gmail) on it which would save me having to carry my laptop if I'm away from home for a day or two. The problem is that my Google account does not like the outdated browser that was on the mobile when I got it. I've now downloaded Opera Mini and set it as default browser but Google still thinks that is too old. All the common browsers I've tried to download (Chrome, Safari, Firefox etc.) all say that they are incompatible with the mobile. Does anyone know of a browser that would work or a solution to my problem or is my phone simply too old? Please keep any answers simple as I'm not very mobile savvy! (I'm not too bad on a PC).

The problem is probably that the security certificates of browsers that are old enough to work on this phone are out of date.
What Android version are you running? Someone in another thread on this recently said that a browser called Puffin might work, but that requires Android 2.3 as the minimum (they only had 2.1, hence we don't know for sure whether that will solve it).

HTC generally bundle a GMail app on the phone, the question is whether Google will accept a connection from a version of that app that's old enough to run on this phone. Worth a try, but it's possible it won't work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones