• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Maps 4.4.0 - Forced Close Bug?

Extract0r

Jul 28, 2010
Google maps application is crashing constantly after the 4.4.0 update on my Captivate.

At first, I thought it was the lag fix that caused corruption so I re-flashed the stock rom and it still crashes. The only fix so far is to downgrade to 4.0.0.

Is anyone else having similar problems?

Within 1~2 seconds of opening the app, I get force close error. Everything that comes with Maps 4.4.0 behaves the same way. Places and Navigation apps.

When I downgrade to 4.0.0 or 4.2.0, everything work perfectly fine again. It all started happening yesterday after an update.

From reading the reviews on the android market, it appears that a lot of people are having same issues after the update. Especially so since yesterday.

Upvote 0
For those that are having problems, are you using the stock GPS settings, or the fix which uses supl.google.com? Also, are you using Skyhook, or no?

Just trying to narrow down possibilities....

Stock GPS settings here, no Skyhook. Receiving error: "The application Maps (process com.google.android.apps.maps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. dumpstate_app_201008301621_com_google_android_apps_maps.log has been saved. Use *#9900# to copy out log." within 5 seconds or so of opening the application.

I uninstalled the update and it seems that the crashing has stopped. I am now using version 4.0.0 (#4046).

Upvote 0
Stock GPS settings here, no Skyhook. Receiving error: "The application Maps (process com.google.android.apps.maps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. dumpstate_app_201008301621_com_google_android_apps_maps.log has been saved. Use *#9900# to copy out log." within 5 seconds or so of opening the application.

I uninstalled the update and it seems that the crashing has stopped. I am now using version 4.0.0 (#4046).

That's so weird, I wonder why mine is working? Not that I'm complaining....

Upvote 0
THANK you for posting this guys, because I thought it was my lag fix issue. My gps has no issue as I am on wifi at home, but when I was out on the road (in car), maps would FC before it even rendered the whole map. It might have something to do with using the 3G in conjunction with the GPS.

Again, when I am at home and connected to wifi (yes that means i'm using the Use wireless networks in both situations), maps doesn't FC.

Upvote 0
When did 4.4.0 become available? My Google maps was perfect until couple of days ago. Now it crashes almost every time.

I can prevent crashing by running the Advanced Task Killer, kill all the running apps except the task killer, and then running Maps 4.4.0. As long as I don't kill the task killer + maps app, I can prevent it from crashing. Weird...

Reading the reviews on the Android Market, it appears a lot of people are having the exact same issue. Droid X, Evo 4G, Nexus One and Captivate users have commented on the bug.

I suspect people who are not experiencing the crash have Advanced Task Killer running in the background.

Upvote 0
I am stock except for GPS settings. I was having the force close issue. Today I uninstalled the 4.4 ran 4.0, tested, everything worked, then re-installed 4.4 and based on a 5 minute test, all is fixed. We will see if it sticks...

I am using the GPS settings from XDA Developers: GPS Settings: Performance Options (improvement) - xda-developers

Application Settings/Operation Mode/MS Based
Application Settings/Operation Mode/SkyHook/ON
SUPL/CP Settings/Server FQDN Type/Custom Config
SUPL/CP Settings/Server/supl.google.com
SUPL/CP Settings/Server Port/7276
SUPL/CP Settings/SUPL Secure Socket/Off

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones