• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Maps navigation - won't talk anymore?

13ilgal

Sep 29, 2012
I haven't used my Google maps for a few months. Today, it found my destination and worked flawlessly EXCEPT I could not get it to narrate the directions. I had my volume all the way up (all 4 options: Music, video games and other media; ringtone; notifications; system) Within the app, I clicked the Options (3 squares in lower right corner) and the only option for voice said "Mute voice guidance". So I clicked that to change to "Unmute" and then clicked again to return to "mute". No dice.

Are there any other settings I can change to get my turn-by-turn navigation spoken again?

I just checked mine (as I never use it) but seems to be working normally. Try clearing the cache and data for the app through settings > application manager.

Or alternatively you can try going to Settings > My Device > Language and Input and then make sure voice output is set to on in the Voice Search option. Likewise change the Text-to-speech option from Samsung to Google and see if that helps.

Let me know how you get on.

Linz

Upvote 0
Okay this just happened to me tonight! So frustrating, my phone almost got chucked off the I-24 overpass... BUT I knew the problem has to be Bluetooth because I had*just* paired the phone with the rental car. I turned off the Bluetooth and the voice came back! Once I got that figured out, I then figured out that on this car (Altima) you would press AUX on the stereo and the navigation would come through the speakers. But since I didn't know that, I had the radio playing. Hope this helps someone!

Upvote 0
Hi, I deleted the cache and other application data, also all the data from other google programs, restared google maps and it has helped. Unfortunately after some time the problem reappeared and I had to clean all the data once more. But now even cleaning the data won't help ! The propogram simply won't talk. I surely have the newest version. Any advice ?

Upvote 0
After Sprint wiped out my memory I had the same problem. I had to go in and install the Samsung text to voice data under language:

Settings/Language and input/Text-to-speech options/Samsung text-to-speech Engine.

It will work if you hear a voice when you tap Listen to an example and you hear the voice.

The volume of this is controlled by the control under Settings/Sounds and notifications/Media--must check this, as it may have been turned down. (And it could have been this all along since I liked the Google voice better.)

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I haven't used my Google maps for a few months. Today, it found my destination and worked flawlessly EXCEPT I could not get it to narrate the directions. I had my volume all the way up (all 4 options: Music, video games and other media; ringtone; notifications; system) Within the app, I clicked the Options (3 squares in lower right corner) and the only option for voice said "Mute voice guidance". So I clicked that to change to "Unmute" and then clicked again to return to "mute". No dice.

Are there any other settings I can change to get my turn-by-turn navigation spoken again?
Do the following:
Click: Settings - Sound & Notification - Volume
Look at "Music, video, games & other media". If it is off (the ball is all the way to the left) then you will not hear any voice on Google Maps.
I often have it turned off when I am using Facebook because some posts insist on invading your phone with music and other noise. That's fine until you are trying to navigate somewhere and you can't hear the voice directions from Google Maps.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue only it has nothing to do with Blutooth. When I start out the audio on maps works for a few seconds, then it stops. I uninstall updates, restart the phone, then reinstall updates. Then the same sequence happens. Sound works for a few seconds, then stops. Phone is Moto X4.

I think it's a glitch on Google maps end. I used it a few days ago and everything worked fine. Today I put in my destination in google maps pressed start and there was no voice reply like usual. If I don't sync the phone to the car it works fine. I checked and google maps was updated today which makes me feel it's something in the update that is causing the problem, that's why deleting the app and reinstalling doesn't work as others have said they did.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones