• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

google maps - use wifi or gps

deel

Feb 2, 2010
does google maps use gps? i tried doing the My Location feature with wifi on and gps off and it worked. when i tried it with gps on and wifi off, it said current location unavailable. so does that mean google maps only uses wifi, or is there just an issue right now with gps?

thanks

does google maps use gps? i tried doing the My Location feature with wifi on and gps off and it worked. when i tried it with gps on and wifi off, it said current location unavailable. so does that mean google maps only uses wifi, or is there just an issue right now with gps?

thanks

not at all, it means Google Maps needs data (wifi or 3G) to work properly. With a data source and GPS on, your location at the map is going to be much more accurate.

edit: not 3G exactly to be technically correct, GPRS,EDGE or HSPA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones