• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Messages bubble colors

JLS1979

Lurker
Jul 15, 2022
Can someone please tell me why I can no longer custom set bubble colors/themes in Messages? It is super irritating that I can no longer do this, but especially irritating that my colors have been set at brown and black - I can't think of 2 uglier colors for texting.

When we're you last able to do it?

I ask because I keep Messages disabled, so haven't had any updates for a long time, but when I enabled it just now to check I had no option to change the bubble colour.

Does changing the device theme have any effect? Or the wallpaper, if you have device theme linked to that?

If you really want to choose colours you are probably better off using a different SMS app though. Is there any feature of Messages that other apps don't have that you use? If not then there's no reason to stick with it (I rarely use manufacturer's built-in apps myself as there's usually something better available).

Upvote 0
Textra. So much customization (but no RCS).

The only way to change colors in Google Messages is by changing your wallpaper and/or selecting a slightly different combination through settings but it's really really limited. Go into settings/wallpaper & style, you can pick/change from 'wallpaper colors' or 'basic colors'.

Oh and, welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet and Hadron
Upvote 0
Now that I think about it, I think that functionality was with Verizon's messaging app. I might need to look into a different app as Hadron suggested. I'm not super picky, I've been using Google's app for so long that is just what I'm used to, but black and brown with extremely limited options to customize - come on Google!!! I do know that the black and brown are recent changes, I think they used to be light and dark blue.

Upvote 0
Now that I think about it, I think that functionality was with Verizon's messaging app. I might need to look into a different app as Hadron suggested. I'm not super picky, I've been using Google's app for so long that is just what I'm used to, but black and brown with extremely limited options to customize - come on Google!!! I do know that the black and brown are recent changes, I think they used to be light and dark blue.
Textra is way better, although it is like my cloud I keep most of my messenges..I keep deleting my messages and have them automatically back up on my messenger plus icon.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones