• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google nexus 7 replacement screen

Another possible repair site (had to do in 2 posts). I imagine a lot of these type places have sprung up in the last couple of years.

Mail In Instructions

A relative of mine fixed two iPods cracked screens for about $85 each..she did it locally..not sure if that included labor although I think that was her total price.

Still eyeing these n7 but leery of the screen separation/cracked issues. Finally saw a n7 in person recently and the demo unit also had some ("a little") screen flex on the left side. Office Max mgr told me they were given training material from Asus that the flex is built in to "to prolong display life". I think she also said to prevent cracking but I don't remember now. I should have asked to see that training material. Right side had no flex whatsoever. For the little flex it had, the mgr said she would not replace it within their store 14 day return policy and I'd have to contact Asus. For as little as the flex was, I could probably live with it unless it started to grow or caused other screen issues.

Upvote 0
I cracked my screen I think from pressure of being against something in my backpack (where I would never place it, but my nephew put it there), Asus replaced it for free, but it was the cleanest break I've seen on glass. There was no spidering, and it didn't look like it came from one specific origin (an impact).

It helped a lot that my Nexus 7 was immaculate, not one single scratch or dent anywhere on the device, which convince asus that it wasn't user damage.

I told them that I put it down on my cold concrete countertop (which actually could be the truth, because I did put it on the counter after taking it out of the backpack without really looking at it) and it just cracked. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
My Nexus 7 dropped from about 5 feet and fell face down onto concrete inside a case. Just an accidental drop. I was carrying too many things and trying to grab my keys and open my truck door and then SPLAT!!

I've read many threads and it seems there is still no answer to how to get the PARTS at a reasonable price. It costs $152 to build this device, but charge $149 to $180 just for the screen package. I wouldn't mind paying up to $100 for repairs but anything more I might as well buy purchase another one from ebay. Just a question is the screen on the Nexus 7 8GB the same screen on the Nexus 7 16GB. This Nexus 7 was purchased during the summer months.

Upvote 0
My Nexus 7 dropped from about 5 feet and fell face down onto concrete inside a case. Just an accidental drop. I was carrying too many things and trying to grab my keys and open my truck door and then SPLAT!!

What kind of case was it in when this happened and what was the extent of the damage? Just wanted to gauge how (in)effective some cases are to protect our Nexus 7s.

Upvote 0
The screens will crack from too much pressure too. It's foolish to think you can just shove it in your pocket with no protection. If you shove it in a bag and pressure gets put on it, either because you shoved a bunch of other things in there too or even because someone got pushed up against you on the subway or something, it can crack. It happens to Kindles too. If you dropped your Nexus on a hard surface and the screen broke, you can't blame ASUS.

Upvote 0
These are starting to show up on ebay. $71 including shipping and you have to figure out how to re-tape the display to it. If the price gets closer to $50 it might be worth the hassle.

Original 7 inch Capacitive Google Nexus 7 LCD Touch Screen Digitizer Panel | eBay

SH

Oh, found this too for $64.80.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/for-...D-touch-screen-digitizer-panel/743827382.html

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that. I know that sinking feeling. I couldn't find a replacement screen or a reasonable repair price so I sold mine on ebay. I got $111.49 for my broken 16gb N7 and bought another new one that I hold with both hands at all times now. Not what you want to hear I know but unfortunately I just don't think you're going to find a cheap repair.

Joe
Thanks mate.

My wife bought me another one since I was moping around ;)

Upvote 0
After reading the whole thread I think I were extremely lucky, my N7 fell twice but wiht only minor chips on the bezel. The second time it fell it bounced on the floor but without damage because two days ago I just installed a transparent gel case to reinforce the shock resistance.

In another thread I've posted a photo of my N7 with double protection (gel case + leather case), it's cheap, easy to install, nice looking, and most of all it worked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones