• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Now isn't playing music

Hi guys. I use PowerAMP as my music player and I tried the command "Listen to <song name>" via Google Now and the text is heard correctly but it just does a web search. It's like it doesn't recognize the keyword.

Yes, I am running JB. My phone is the SGS3 (AT&T), not rooted. Commands like Navigation etc work, but not 'Listen to' or 'Play'. I don't have Play Music installed but I have read Google Now should ask which media player I want to use, so that shouldn't matter. Any advice?

Well, mine kind of works. When I say 'listen to <artist>' I get an option with a drop down to specify which app I want to run. I use Google Music so I set it for that one. Now when I do the same thing it gives me a blue link that says 'Play Music' that I can then click to be taken to Play Music. I saw a video on YouTube where the guy says a track title and it automatically launches Play Music and plays the song. So, I'm somewhere between him and you and I kind of like that I get an option to click one more time rather than have some music just start blaring out of my speaker.

Upvote 0
Well, mine kind of works. When I say 'listen to <artist>' I get an option with a drop down to specify which app I want to run. I use Google Music so I set it for that one. Now when I do the same thing it gives me a blue link that says 'Play Music' that I can then click to be taken to Play Music. I saw a video on YouTube where the guy says a track title and it automatically launches Play Music and plays the song. So, I'm somewhere between him and you and I kind of like that I get an option to click one more time rather than have some music just start blaring out of my speaker.

This is what I get when I say 'listen to <blank>'

4dIxU.png

Upvote 0
This is what I get when I say 'listen to <blank>'

4dIxU.png

That bottom left side should be a drop down menu where you select the music player that you want to use. Then from that point forward you just click the blue link that's just to the right of that. This is exactly what I was describing how mine functions which appears to be about the best possible way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones