• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Play Developer Program Policy Update

scary alien

not really so scary
Mar 5, 2010
Indy
Just thought I'd share with everyone an email I just received regarding the updated Google Play Developer Program Policy Update which includes a few interesting tidbits:

Hello Google Play Developer,

In our continued effort to make the Google Play experience safe and positive for developers and users, we have updated the Developer Program Policy in accordance with the law and current best practices.

This email is to notify you of changes to our policies, which are highlighted below.
    • A new sensitive events policy addresses sensitivities around tragic events, such as natural disasters or global conflicts.
    • To protect users from harm, we've introduced new deceptive behavior language to more clearly define expectations for app functionality.
    • We’ve clarified language in the payment policy section for consistency and added links to a supplemental help center article for additional developer support.
    • To ensure a secure and consistent customer support experience for our users, we’ve introduced a provision which governs the transfer of in-app virtual currencies purchased in an app.
    • We’ve specified that apps should not harm, interfere with, or improperly access Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).
Any new app or app update published after this notification will be immediately subject to the latest version of the Developer Program Policy. If you find any existing apps in your catalog that don’t comply, we ask that you unpublish the app, or fix and republish the app within 30 calendar days of receiving this email. After this period, existing apps discovered to be in violation may be subject to warning or removal from Google Play.

If you have feedback on Play developer terms and policies, we’d appreciate a few moments of your time to fill out a brief survey.

Regards,

The Google Play Team

Cheers!

And if they would just fix what's broken with the IAP. :(

Before, I wanted to check something out, I reviewed the paid version, knew the expected cost and if I wanted it, I tried the free version.

Now, I have to try it to find out what costs what with most IAP apps. And no, "Additional items range from $0.99 to $9.99" doesn't even masquerade as information in a description.

I really hate that. :mad:

Anyway enough of my ranting, thanks @scary alien, great stuff! :)

Upvote 0
Ah, funky, no worries--I was just sharing an email I got regarding changes that Google is making to the apps that developers create that Google believes will be better for the app users.

Some of the highlights of the changes (there are links above that take you to this content) include:
  • Sensitive Events: We don't allow content which may be deemed as capitalizing on or lacking reasonable sensitivity towards a natural disaster, atrocity, conflict, death, or other tragic event.
  • Impersonation or Deceptive Behavior: Don't pretend to be someone else, and don't represent that your app is authorized by or produced by another company or organization if that is not the case. Products must provide accurate disclosure of their functionality and should perform as reasonably expected by the user.
    • Products or the ads they contain must not mimic functionality or warnings from the operating system or other apps.
    • Products must not contain false or misleading information or claims in any content, title, icon, description, or screenshots.
    • Developers must not divert users or provide links to any other site that mimics or passes itself off as another app or service.
    • Apps must not have names or icons that appear confusingly similar to existing products, or to apps supplied with the device (such as Camera, Gallery or Messaging).
Paid and Free Apps

In-store purchases: Developers charging for apps and downloads from Google Play must use Google Play’s payment system.

In-app purchases:​
    • Developers offering products within a game downloaded from Google Play or providing access to game content must use Google Play In-app Billing as the method of payment.
    • Developers offering products within another category of app downloaded from Google Play must use Google Play In-app Billing as the method of payment, except:
      • where payment is solely for physical products; or
      • where payment is for digital content that may be consumed outside of the app itself (e.g., buying songs that can be played on other music players).
A list of examples describing appropriate use cases for Google Play In-app Billing is available in the Google Play Developer Help Center.
    • In-app virtual currencies must only be used within the app where they were first purchased.
    • Developers must not mislead users about the apps they are selling nor about any in-app services, goods, content or functionality they are selling. If your product description on Google Play refers to in-app features to which a specific or additional charge applies, your description must clearly notify users that payment is required to access those features.
The last item in my original/top post above:
  • We’ve specified that apps should not harm, interfere with, or improperly access Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).
looks like it's squarely targeting apps/things like Xposed (which is why you can't get/find it on the Play Store).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
And if they would just fix what's broken with the IAP. :(

Before, I wanted to check something out, I reviewed the paid version, knew the expected cost and if I wanted it, I tried the free version.

Now, I have to try it to find out what costs what with most IAP apps. And no, "Additional items range from $0.99 to $9.99" doesn't even masquerade as information in a description.

I really hate that. :mad:

Anyway enough of my ranting, thanks @scary alien, great stuff! :)
^^^ditto on all points. I'd especially like to know how much to get rid of ads or unlock functionality without hours of research.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones