• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Services not Working :(

I was staring at the diagnostic dump I posted earlier. This seems like this is the major error:
09-18 10:45:51.661 27753-27753/? E/HAL﹕ load: module=/system/lib/hw/gralloc.msm8226.so
dlopen failed: could not load library "libmm-abl.so" needed by "gralloc.msm8226.so"; caused by could not load library "libdiag.so" needed by "libmm-abl.so"; caused by could not load library "libpredtm.so" needed by "libdiag.so"; caused by library "libpredtm.so" not found

And looking on my device, the "libpredtm.so" is indeed missing, like it says. The other libraries are in the /system/vendor/lib directory, which I see is probably the reason Google is saying it's Kyocera's fault. But the problem seems like that Google's code execution is passing through Kyocera's "libdiag.so" library. Looking at the "diag.c" source code online, this seems like generally where all of the diagnostic, debugging, print messages are found. So, it looks like somebody on the Google Play team may have left some debugging messages turned on when they released their latest code. Or a previous version of the Google Play Services may have provided a version of a non-vendor-specific libdiag.so (or equivalent code) that eclipsed the /system/lib/vendor copy, maybe? I don't have a working device to look at to see if that's right. Kyocera didn't publish their (probably proprietary because i couldnt find any references to libpredtm online) libpredtm.so, which is why it's not found, but they shouldn't have had to, if they didnt intend for Google to use their libdiag.so APIs to debug their code. All speculation of course.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the fix to this problem will have to be Google updating all the afflicted apps, and not fixing Google Play Services itself just for the Hydro Vibe.

So with this in mind, these are the apps I personally am aware of that would need to be updated:

Android Pay
Drive
Gmail
Hangouts

What are the others that are confirmed to crash under 8.1.15? Let's put together a complete list.

UPDATE: Here is an extensive list of Google apps, where you can get the latest and older versions:

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/

Upvote 0
I too have confirmed that Version 7.8.99 of Google Play Services works. So this version can be rolled back to.

The problem seems to start with the 8.1+ version series.

Google Play Services 7.8.99:
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...ices-7-8-99-2134222-034-android-apk-download/

A complete list of Google Play Services versions that are supposed to work on the Hydro Vibe -- the 8.1+ versions are the ones that appear to cause problems:
http://www.apkmirror.com/?s=Google+play+services+034&post_type=apps_post

Upvote 0
If the Android team cannot fix this issue soon, then I suggest they should pull back Google Play Services 8.1.15 from the Hydro Vibe and roll it back to Version 7.8.99.

Even if the user disables 8.1.15 and side-loads 7.8.99, the phone will automatically reinstall 8.1.15 after the phone is restarted. So the Android team needs to officially block 8.1.15 from being downloaded and installed to the phone.

Additionally, for those who have these two apps installed: Google Now Launcher should be rolled back to the version that worked under 7.8.99, and the Android Pay app should be pulled from the Hydro Vibe and rolled back to the last version of Google Wallet.

These three rollbacks can be automatic and buy time for the Android developers to fix this issue (if they ever).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I too have confirmed that Version 7.8.99 of Google Play Services works. So this version can be rolled back to.

The problem seems to start with the 8.1+ version series.

Google Play Services 7.8.99:
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...ices-7-8-99-2134222-034-android-apk-download/

A complete list of Google Play Services versions that are supposed to work on the Hydro Vibe -- the 8.1+ versions are the ones that appear to cause problems:
http://www.apkmirror.com/?s=Google+play+services+034&post_type=apps_post

I rolled back to 7.8.99 and everything is running smoothly. Thanks everyone for working on and discussing this issue.

Upvote 0
This week has been horrible for my phone. Actually, my wife and I are suffering from the same issue with our Hydro Vibes. For some odd reason, Google Play services has decided that it will simply not cooperate. For instance, I can open Inbox, Hangouts, Calendar, Play Games, Play books, Photos and of course the Play Store but Wallet, YouTube, YouTube Gaming, Play Music and Google Drive all force close. I have performed two factory resets this week and nothing has helped. Even contacting Kyocera and Virgin Mobile left me with no positive result. Is anyone else having the same issue?
Yes it has happened to me to

Upvote 0
Oddly I got android pay to work temporarily by uninstalling google play services updates, then installing 8.1.15 030 apk. Signed up added a cc and was good to go. Wallet app did not work at all but for a few hrs it worked. I also notice that on my phone the factory version of play services ends in 038 not 034.

Upvote 0
I also contacted Kyocera tech support and they are aware blaming google but I pointed out seems to be just this phone. He took name number and said "make sure you check for system updates periodically" would not elaborate what may be coming down the pipeline. Ill give them some time I guess since I really like this phone

Upvote 0
Looking at the logs some people are posting. only google can fix it. So until then turn off auto update in play store under its settings and uninstall updates to play services, and do the same to any other pre installed google app that ask to update it (non pre installed ones with no uninstall update you will have to find older apks for that app.)

That way everything work better than not at all.

Upvote 0
Same problem on Hydro Icon.
I uninstalled the Google Play Services update to factory stock.
Rebooted.
Google play services auto updated.
For a minute or two the google apps worked again (gmail, youtube)
Then after a minute or two the problem reappeared.

Google needs to fix their Play Service it is their problem.
If Kyocera would push Lollipop it would probably fix it.

I am rooted with kingroot but it sounds like everyone is having the issue.

Upvote 0
As a reminder: The problem is that even if you roll back Google Play Services to 7.8.99* (the last known working version), it will still be automatically updated to 8.1.15 after you reboot the phone. I'm not sure how this automatic updating can be disabled -- anybody know?

Also, Google Play Services may still automatically update itself after you leave the phone on for 24 hours, though I haven't tested this enough to confirm, but this appears so.

* -- Although 034 is the code ID ascribed to Google Play Services version on the Hydro Vibe, you can also use the 038 version:

http://www.apkmirror.com/?s=Google+play+services+038&post_type=apps_post

Upvote 0
So at this point, you have to keep a copy of the 7.8.99 apk on your phone, and disable Google Play Services whenever it automatically updates itself to 8.1.15 and reinstall 7.8.99 by side-loading it.

I wonder if this updating can be blocked... would it require rooting? And if so, what are the steps for blocking this on a rooted Hydro Vibe?

Upvote 0
Just a thought, I wondered what the common element could be among the apps that will consistently fail under 8.1.15: Android Pay, Drive, Gmail, Hangouts and YouTube...

Could it all somehow be connected to the user's account on Gmail? Initially, I wondered if it could be Google+, but this social network is not required to use the first four apps on this list, and optional for YouTube now.

Another related theory: Could all five of these apps access something about the Hydro Vibe's hardware that is incompatible with 8.1.15?

Upvote 0
Here I've made a group of older apks that should make your apps last for a week or so. Hopefully Google or Kyocera will have this issue fixed by then
Note: once you install this version of YouTube you'll get the old Interface, but after awhile you'll get the new one.

EDIT: My browser is being a bit jumpy so I couldn't upload any file so I had to upload to MEGA
https://mega.nz/#!XcBQQZqS!4kVidzQQ4o_HOvi8T7aMqDpY-jJPPjmNd-E0SRl7ydo

Last edited:
Reactions: Lpen21
Upvote 0
I was staring at the diagnostic dump I posted earlier. This seems like this is the major error:
09-18 10:45:51.661 27753-27753/? E/HAL﹕ load: module=/system/lib/hw/gralloc.msm8226.so
dlopen failed: could not load library "libmm-abl.so" needed by "gralloc.msm8226.so"; caused by could not load library "libdiag.so" needed by "libmm-abl.so"; caused by could not load library "libpredtm.so" needed by "libdiag.so"; caused by library "libpredtm.so" not found

And looking on my device, the "libpredtm.so" is indeed missing, like it says. The other libraries are in the /system/vendor/lib directory, which I see is probably the reason Google is saying it's Kyocera's fault. But the problem seems like that Google's code execution is passing through Kyocera's "libdiag.so" library. Looking at the "diag.c" source code online, this seems like generally where all of the diagnostic, debugging, print messages are found. So, it looks like somebody on the Google Play team may have left some debugging messages turned on when they released their latest code. Or a previous version of the Google Play Services may have provided a version of a non-vendor-specific libdiag.so (or equivalent code) that eclipsed the /system/lib/vendor copy, maybe? I don't have a working device to look at to see if that's right. Kyocera didn't publish their (probably proprietary because i couldnt find any references to libpredtm online) libpredtm.so, which is why it's not found, but they shouldn't have had to, if they didnt intend for Google to use their libdiag.so APIs to debug their code. All speculation of course.

This sounds like good analysis. leaving debugging code in production code is a fairly common practice/mistake. I just thought Google would've run the latest Play services apk through a lot more comprehensive automated tests before releasing, and this kind of error seems easy to catch automatically. Since it's such a critical component that literally goes out to millions of devices automatically in the background.

Whoever has open support tickets with Google should pass this on to their tech support/engineers to help get it resolved quicker.

Reactions: Lpen21
Upvote 0
I am going through the samething! This is so silly and makes me understand why people choose apple products. I just want to use dialer with hangouts but noooo. It seems like it works for awhile if you clear data and cache then like something happens within 2 hours and not only does hangouts FC but youtube, gmail, and yeah play music update has never worked. This is incredibly lame!

Upvote 0
Apple is usually better at these things however I have had my iPad crash and lost all my data during one of their over the air updates. After much gnashing of teeth and pulling all my hair out, got it working again that's why I switched to Android. just come to accept sometimes things go wrong. I recovered about 75% of the data but lost rest.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones