• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google to buy Motorola Mobility

Upvote 0
Apparently, the no in-app purchases is part of the Apple developer license agreement. I recall a public statement by Apple. So in a way, you were (once) able to buy eBooks from within the app only because some developer decided to violate an agreement.

Still unclear on this, so links will help me know if I can stop using the word 'apparently.'

Jobs mad a public statement about why no Flashy for iOS devices. It was rather compelling; I suggest you read it. Google "Steve Jobs statement, why no Flash."
By the way, I pick up a copy of the weekly specials from my mailbox and they are available in-store here in Utah.
It doesn't matter what the in-app purchase policy is, it's wrong. Can you imagine if Microsoft declared that all Windows software developers had to give Microsoft a 30% cut every time a user bought and installed software on Windows? Or if you downloaded the Amazon Kindle app onto Windows PC, you'd have to pay 30% to Microsoft for every ebook you buy?? It's wrong and everyone seems to give Apple a free pass for this.

Regarding flash, I don't care what Steve Jobs says, it's a web standard. There are many things that I use flash for. Just because Steve Jobs doesn't care for it, doesn't mean I have to like it. Who cares about weekly specials being available in the mailbox or stores? That's not the point. The point is to be able to view Flash content wherever you are. That's the "mobile" part of the experience, which is completely removed i you have to go to the store to read an ad.

Unless you use an iPad 2 regularly, you have no idea how much Flash content actually can be very valuable to have access to. I am fortunate enough to have an Android tablet and an iPad 2, and it still amazes me that my Android tablet that costs 1/3 of the iPad 2 can view most Flash content on it, while I have to live with a severe limitation of no flash on my iPad 2 (among many other severe limitations of iOS).

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter what the in-app purchase policy is, it's wrong. Can you imagine if Microsoft declared that all Windows software developers had to give Microsoft a 30% cut every time a user bought and installed software on Windows? Or if you downloaded the Amazon Kindle app onto Windows PC, you'd have to pay 30% to Microsoft for every ebook you buy?? It's wrong and everyone seems to give Apple a free pass for this.

The 30% for in app purchases makes sense. You are using Apple's system and their payment platform. They're acting as a middle man and they take a cut. I think Google has a similar policy with in-app purchases. What is outrageous about Apple is the REQUIREMENT that devs use it. Developers do not have the option to link to an outside source to buy content. They MUST give Apple a 30% cut or they can't sell content in their app directly or indirectly. That is what is BS about the policy. If MS ran a store on Windows and took a cut of everything that was sold through that store, I don't think people would have a lot of issues. If they mandated that the store was the ONLY place you could buy Windows software, then people would be ticked.

Unless you use an iPad 2 regularly, you have no idea how much Flash content actually can be very valuable to have access to. I am fortunate enough to have an Android tablet and an iPad 2, and it still amazes me that my Android tablet that costs 1/3 of the iPad 2 can view most Flash content on it, while I have to live with a severe limitation of no flash on my iPad 2 (among many other severe limitations of iOS).

The lack of Flash seems to be the most common complaint I hear about the iPad. Yet, people still buy the device so it's not a deal breaker and TBH, it's the best tablet out there for most people. Android makes a great phone OS, but it hasn't completely translated to the tablet market at this point.

Upvote 0
Yes I am waiting for Android makers to offer a tablet that is truly competitive with the iPad 2. Perhaps the LTE version of the Samsung 10.1 will be it. We need much more options in the Android space. Hopefully Motorola Mobility will offer up some truly awesome options in the future.

The tablet space needs to be more competitive, and this acquisition can only be good for that.

Upvote 0
So... anyone know offhand what major patents Google has control of with this acquisition?

If you've got the time to read, go to patents.google.com and search for 'Motorola Mobility'. I think Google wisely spent their money (sales pending of course).

As EarlyMon indicated as well, there are probably patents in there that will negate all those Apple is throwing at HTC. Looks to me that one can argue that unless Apple had a licensing agreement with Motorola, they are violating quite a few of these Motorola patents.

Upvote 0
Yes I am waiting for Android makers to offer a tablet that is truly competitive with the iPad 2. Perhaps the LTE version of the Samsung 10.1 will be it. We need much more options in the Android space. Hopefully Motorola Mobility will offer up some truly awesome options in the future.

The tablet space needs to be more competitive, and this acquisition can only be good for that.

I'm looking at the new Amazon tablet coming out within the next month or so...Sounds like it might be the first device that can really compete with the Ipad due to the Amazon's ecosystem.

No flash is a deal breaker for me. Steve Jobs is so beyond ignoranta and arrogant, it isn't funny. I'd love to see Andriod tablets become more successfull than the Ipad.

Upvote 0

It's not the hardware that's at fault with Android tablets.....

Upvote 0
If you've got the time to read, go to patents.google.com and search for 'Motorola Mobility'. I think Google wisely spent their money (sales pending of course).

As EarlyMon indicated as well, there are probably patents in there that will negate all those Apple is throwing at HTC. Looks to me that one can argue that unless Apple had a licensing agreement with Motorola, they are violating quite a few of these Motorola patents.

Moto already has a lawsuit against Apple for refusing to license certain Moto patents.... However HTC's issues are very different, i.e. not the same patents fact is Moto could go after HTC just as well.

Upvote 0
I'm looking at the new Amazon tablet coming out within the next month or so...Sounds like it might be the first device that can really compete with the Ipad due to the Amazon's ecosystem.

No flash is a deal breaker for me. Steve Jobs is so beyond ignoranta and arrogant, it isn't funny. I'd love to see Andriod tablets become more successfull than the Ipad.

I agree can't wait for Amazon, love my Kindle for years now. Regarding Flash meh is no longer relevant to me.

Upvote 0
A big part of this buyout that no one seems to have mentioned is cable boxes. Motorola makes the majority of cable boxes. Now that google owns Motorola, then can implement google tv in widescale. Cable companies will either have to deal with it or find a new source of boxes.

I was under the impression that they just purchased "Motorola Mobility" which is just the mobile phone part of Motorola.

Upvote 0

The Amazon tablet fascinates me. It'll have the content as Amazon has music, books, streaming media, apps, etc.... Amazon may heavily subsidize it like they did with the Kindle so it could well spark a price war in the tablet market. That will be extremely interesting to see.

Upvote 0
A big part of this buyout that no one seems to have mentioned is cable boxes. Motorola makes the majority of cable boxes. Now that google owns Motorola, then can implement google tv in widescale. Cable companies will either have to deal with it or find a new source of boxes.

I mentioned this very thing up thread though I'm not sure if Google would be that heavy handed with the cable companies. I'm sure they'll try to entice their cooperation by creating some sort of revenue sharing model through cable ads.

Then, there's Google's own grand plans for a mobile payment plan...

google s acquisition of motorola mobility could speed up adoption of mobile wallet plans, devices and applications - On Wall Street

Upvote 0
The Amazon tablet fascinates me. It'll have the content as Amazon has music, books, streaming media, apps, etc.... Amazon may heavily subsidize it like they did with the Kindle so it could well spark a price war in the tablet market. That will be extremely interesting to see.

It fascinates me also, I can't wait to see the spec's. I hear it is not supposed to have a camera but I don't really care about that.... Though if no webcam guess you miss out on skype video calling. But picture quality sucks on these devices anyway for photos.

Anyway, I think because of the content available, it will be an awesome device. And if the sell it close to cost or below because they want you to buy content, that will be very cool also.

Upvote 0
If Amazon tablet is not going to have a camera, it would be inferior a lot compared to other major mobile devices. In fact, more and more opinions indicating that people like a device would be powerful enough to have various functionalities.

How often do you use the camera on your tablet? I rarely use mine except for novelty purposes.

Reactions: _mw_
Upvote 0
Yes I am waiting for Android makers to offer a tablet that is truly competitive with the iPad 2. Perhaps the LTE version of the Samsung 10.1 will be it...
Yes, as a proud owner of a 4G Galaxy Tab 10.1, I can tell you that it is much better than the iPad 2. That's why Apple is suing Samsung over this device because they fear the Tab.

The only advantage (sort of) of iPad 2 over Galaxy Tab 10.1 is that the iPad 2 has more app available. But in my humble opinion, it is a moot point. It is no different than my cable company telling me that I have hundreds of cable channels to watch, but in fact 80+% of them are plain garbage. Same thing about those app.

Upvote 0
Yes, as a proud owner of a 4G Galaxy Tab 10.1, I can tell you that it is much better than the iPad 2. That's why Apple is suing Samsung over this device because they fear the Tab.

The only advantage (sort of) of iPad 2 over Galaxy Tab 10.1 is that the iPad 2 has more app available. But in my humble opinion, it is a moot point. It is no different than my cable company telling me that I have hundreds of cable channels to watch, but in fact 80+% of them are plain garbage. Same thing about those app.

So why is it better than the iPad? Specifics please. And applications drive sales of tablets. So do not disregard their importance. Perhaps for you it does not matter, but overall, it is darn important.

So post again and give me/us a few specific examples of why your is bigger than mine?

Otherwise, you come off sounding like a 4G Galaxy Tab 10.0 Fanboy.

Upvote 0
This is my concern about this.

Google has already rushed version after version of Android to market. Keeping up is hard for the device vendors,

and if I were a device vendor I would have to be concerned that Motorola Mobility, a division of Google, will always be at least a revision ahead of Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. and will enjoy preferential treatment by its parent, even as the parent is claiming that won’t happen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones