• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google voice, worth it? Mainly used for texting.

I use GV primarily for the free texts and the voicemail. I've had the same phone number for 5 years, so I don't want to confuse people by switching things up.

I give the GV number to people who tend to text me a lot. I still have a text package ($5 for 250), but that's just a cushion for me in case I don't anticipate certain people will be texting me. I never thought I'd use enough text messages to need to start using GV, but then I started dating someone with unlimited texts...

Upvote 0
Ummm thats Weird...
i have 2 google voice accounts and on both of then when i first got it had the choice of pick any number... with my same area code.
Oh, I picked the number. People just don't believe it is real because of the 4 7's in a row. :) My area code is the same though. My number looks like 910-777-7***. Even if you figure out the last 3 numbers, I can block you. :D

Upvote 0
I use GV exclusively but I still have mobile to mobile usage listed on verizon's website. I'm not sure exactly how M2M works with GV...
What you are saying is what the guy at Verizon assured me when I called, but I just checked my phone and it says I have been using peak minutes to call to the connecting Google number (which isn't the same as my own Google Voice number). Honestly, I'm not surprised, but I am annoyed that the Verizon rep. told me the exact opposite.

Though, since all my outbound Google Voice calls seem to use the same number, it may mean I can add that single number to my Friends and Family and have unlimited outbound calling.

Seems like a win-win for anyone else interested in doing it this way. No need to configure Gizmo5 or any complicated SIP stuff this way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones