• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GPL] LG Ally Kernel 2.6.29.6_GNM_OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so just to report again i've been running stock VZB from dresllisdee + VZB app2sd ramdisk from killertonez + 2.6.29.6_GNM_OC kernel from drellisdee and doing stress tests over and over and for the first time im able to run overclocked to 787 stable. Its been so stable that strees test runs until the battery is almost over and no errors of any type( i had to turn the test off so i could put the phone back to charge). Before I wasnt even able to OC to 748 without KP every now and again. Now phone is running smooth and stable at 787 and battery life is better than ever. Thanks again Dresllisdee.

Upvote 0
Anybody mess around with openVPN since tun.ko is compiled in this kernel?

I am able to connect to my VPN but no data is ever tunneled through the connection. I try to ping the VPN server through the VPN tunnel and i do not get a reply.

For example, my vpn server ip is 10.8.1.1 and my phone IP is 10.8.1.2. If I ping 10.8.1.1 i do not get a reply. And the data transfer rates in VPNSettings remains at basically 0.

I installed the ovenVPN using openVPN Installer and all went well.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Anybody mess around with openVPN since tun.ko is compiled in this kernel?

I am able to connect to my VPN but no data is ever tunneled through the connection. I try to ping the VPN server through the VPN tunnel and i do not get a reply.

For example, my vpn server ip is 10.8.1.1 and my phone IP is 10.8.1.2. If I ping 10.8.1.1 i do not get a reply. And the data transfer rates in VPNSettings remains at basically 0.

I installed the ovenVPN using openVPN Installer and all went well.

Any ideas?

I've never personlly used it. I assume you did insmod tun.ko right?

Upvote 0
Hey drellisdee is there a way you could add rndis support in this kernel for wired tether please?

I almost had it working. Look in the wip folder in source. I had the wired tether app functioning with rndis but didnt get the usb functions correct in board-alohav.c Result is kernel panic on usb plug or loss of all usb functions with another config. Its 90% ported if you would like to give it a shot.

Upvote 0
I almost had it working. Look in the wip folder in source. I had the wired tether app functioning with rndis but didnt get the usb functions correct in board-alohav.c Result is kernel panic on usb plug or loss of all usb functions with another config. Its 90% ported if you would like to give it a shot.

Where do i learn about all this? is this unix knowledge or what should i read to learn how to really develop for android? Im a 2nd year computer science major and this is extremely interesting to me but i dont have much knowledge of linux or any unix system yet.. is that what it takes?

Upvote 0
In my turbo4 kernel i had a modified ramdisk that had the low mem killer levels upped very much from stock around 60mb floor I believe. Its done in init.rc btw. This one had no ramdisk so you have it at stock empty app floor of 24mb as per your ramdisk. Thats how well its holding its lower limit with .32 kernels low mem killer. And as to performance turbo4 pushed the ally all the way to its current limit. I do agree performance is a little down in quadrant but this kernel addresses some other things the ally needed like battery and memory usage while still having a noticable gain from stock performance to more round out the device in other areas too.

Well I am using Turbo 4. I love it. is there any reason I shoud change over to this Kernal?

Upvote 0
Well I am using Turbo 4. I love it. is there any reason I shoud change over to this Kernal?

Just like dre has said, the new kernel addresses other issues such as battery life and freeing up memory.

In my opinion, responsiveness has improved (thanks in part to the new interactive governor in setcpu) and battery life has showed a slight increase.

Flash it.

Upvote 0
Do I understand correctly that to use the new kernel I need to flash the TurboIV no kernel version first, then flash the new kernel? Of can the new kernel be flashed over the TurboIV w/OC?

I also saw mention of a recommendation to not use task-killers; does that apply to a program like "Auto Memory Manager" as well?

Upvote 0
Do I understand correctly that to use the new kernel I need to flash the TurboIV no kernel version first, then flash the new kernel? Of can the new kernel be flashed over the TurboIV w/OC?

I also saw mention of a recommendation to not use task-killers; does that apply to a program like "Auto Memory Manager" as well?

Correct, flash the TURBO 4 without the kernel and then flash this new kernel. And yes it can be flashed regardless whether you have OC or not.

Memory managers, just like task killers are not recommended. This kernel has an integrated memory manager that works to free up space.

Reactions: k.c.cole
Upvote 0
I just updated with the Turbo4(no Kernel) and with the new rom here. With no OC, I get 6 MFLOPS, with OC at 767 on interactive, I get super smooth fast response with 8 MFLOPS and a 502 score with Quadrant. Lovin' it! Can't seem to squash the 50% battery bug. I've tried all variants. It fixes for a short bit but goes back up to 56%. Will have to wait for 2.2 or Verizon update I guess.

Upvote 0
You know I am probably the last to know this and everybody else has known for years but I thought that I would make mention that the Apps2sd.zip made by KillerTonez for the Turbo 4 OC works great with this Kernal as well.

I tried for a couple of hours last night. Honestly off the cuff I couldnt tell any difference in the two Kernals performance.
But I also may not know the best way to compare them either.

I used Angry birds as my Benchmark. I did eqaully great with both Kernals.

As Usual Thanks to the Drell man.

Upvote 0
THe new kernel Seems to be running smoother... Hard to tell. I get the same linpack scores, I can't really tell how the memory management stuff works (but i did remove my memory manager). Haven't had as many issues yet with kernel panic reboots (only when running at 787mhz). Not having as many FC's with apps. At least so far. I'll see in a couple of days, with no reboots, how it's still doing and check back in.

+++
So within hours of this post, stated having FC errors and kernel panics, running at 767mhz. I bumped it back down to 748. Seems to be pretty stable so far. At least it hasn't shut itself down since yesterday.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. Awesome website to begin with. I have been trying to install the 2.6.29.6 kernel so I can overclock my Ally. I have followed the steps and went through ROM Manager and had a successful flash. I booted into recovery and tried loading the .zip and it starts, but then goes back to the recovery menu. Is there something I am missing here? Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
I've been hard at work on another kernel for ally.

Features:
Patched kernel from 2.6.29 to 2.6.29.6 as thats the last .29 kernel.
Android staging drivers backported from kernel .32
Backported lowmemorykiller from kernel .32
Backport of idle time code from kernel .34
Overclocked to max of 787mhz. For safety set at 600max on boot. Change with setcpu
Added deadline I/O scheduler as an option. Anticipatory is still default.
Added Interactive gov as option. Enable with setcpu. Its like a better ondemand
Ext 3 & Ext 4 supported
Ipv6 supported
Netfilter & xtables
Tun.ko for open vpn
Swap enabled
Many other changes see github.

Major changes should be:

More Battery Life
The backport of idle code from .34 is by Erasmux, it helps TREMENDOUSLY on how your phone behaves during 'idle'.

Better RAM handling
The backport of lowmemorykiller from .32 by Decad3nce, helps with the way RAM overall is handled on the device. Absolutely no more 'lost memory' situations or hiccups.

Interactive gov
Advantages:
+ significantly more responsive to ramp cpu up when required (UI interaction)
+ more consistent ramping, existing governors do their cpu load sampling in a workqueue context, the 'interactive' governor does this in a timer context, which gives more consistent cpu load sampling.
+ higher priority for cpu frequency increase, rt_workqueue is used for scaling up, giving the remaining tasks the cpu performance benefit, unlike existing governors which schedule rampup work to occur after your performance starved tasks have completed.

Source:
Kernel Source

Things to note:
Packaged in anykernel so it will not overwrite your ramdisk apps2sd people.

If using a modified ramdisk please make sure your governor is not set on performance as your battery will suffer tremendously. Script in stock ramdisk changes gov to ondemand from performance (performance is for faster booting) at each boot so check if yours is modified.

On boot/reboot it may be sluggish for 1st 30-45 seconds as this is the lowmemorykiller working to free ram. After initial 30 seconds it will be much more responsive.

Taskillers are NOT recommended as this backported lowmem killer is much more effective.

Overclocking Notes:
Not all phones can OC and can handle the same speeds. Your phone is unique. Some can go up to 787mhz stable some can only do 748mhz and some can't at all.

Overclocking must be done with setcpu. After each boot/reboot the max is set to 600mhz to keep you from getting in a boot loop with an unstable speed for your device. To change it after reboot you must move the slider in setcpu to get the overclock freq to set above 600mhz.

You can use this with my Jit libs use the Turbo4 no kernel one from Here for the jit stuff without the old kernel.

To use flash with clockwork or my recovery and wipe dalvik-cache and cache.

Download:
Download 2.6.29.6_GNM_OC.zip
HELP!!! AND QUESTION...
SO WITH THIS KERNNEL. I DON'T HAVE TO INSTALL GNM TURBO4 W/O KERNNEL????
I ROOTED W/ UNI ANDROID, THEN TRIED TO INSTALL GNMTURBO4 BEFORE INSTALLING LG Ally Kernel 2.6.29.6_GNM_OC ... IN ROM PRE-INSTALL, I CHECK BACPUP EXISTING ROM AND WIPE DATA AND CACHE... MY PHONE HAS BEEN STUCK IN VELOCITY B00T LOOP SINCE. 1. WHAT DID I DO WRONG? 2. HOW CAN I FIX IT AND ADD YOUR KERNNEL???
THANKS FOR ANY HELP,
EZ

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones