• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS apps do not -but gmaps does!

Most of these apps request to switch on gps if not already on

No, they can only turn it on if it is already enabled in the settings I mentioned. This feature was introduced in 2.2 as a security measure - should've mentioned that last time, but I forgot it was a recent addition.

Enabling GPS doesn't actually turn it on, just makes it available for apps to use.

If it is not enabled as above, then I guarantee you that's your problem.

Upvote 0
tried as you suggested
sertimgs, location, gps enabled
and selected gps icon from power bar
still no joy
gps-test app shows nothing but the heading compassion working
this has a button top left that takes you to the settings screen
utterly baffled
is thus any diagnostic tool to check gps is not broke ?
thanks for your help
IanS

Upvote 0
So in GPS test, you have a green light, saying GPS on?
Do you have the GPS icon? (satellite dish with green lines) displayed in Status bar - you might have to turn of 'Hide Status Bar' in settings
Are the green lines flashing? (indicating it's searching for satellites)

I'd say a factory reset is probably the best idea, maybe the update screwed something. If that doesn't work - back for warranty repair.

Upvote 0
Sounds like something has screwed the GPS access routines. Odd.
It may be that there is some security setting that blocks downloaded apps from using GPS to get a fine fix, but I can't find it. Have you recently installed any security apps?

Yes, a factory reset returns the OS to stock with no user data and no downloaded apps.

There are loads of backup app out there, but I've not really used any but Titanium. You need root for this, which can be got using VISIONary+ (temproot only, lost at reboot). It will backup user apps + data though.

Except I lost all my Dolphin HD Bookmarks...

You can backup your contacts by importing them to your Gmail account, so they sync to Google's servers

I expect others will recommed better backup solutions for you.

Reactions: goslings
Upvote 0
+1 for the utterly baffled club then. Not a clue TBH. When you get a location in GMaps, what sort of accuracy does it give - how big is the blue shaded circle around your location - it might be that it's actually still using the cell towers, I generally get 50-100m accuracy if using cell triangulation.
If the GPS icon is flashing continously, it means that it can't get a lock, the green lines stop flashing when it does.

If it's flashing even after a factory reset, when outdoors with a good view of the sky, then most likely your GPS antenna has come detached from the motherboard, somehow, maybe due to a drop? Whatever, it's most likely a hardware fault. If you're feeling confident, you could try stripping it down - check the guide here: Blog: HTC Desire tear-down and re-assembly ? TJworld

If the GPS icon is on and not flashing and you still can't get a lock, then f*ck knows, perhaps the Ruskies* have shot down all the GPS satellites above your part of the UK.

Edit: just spotted this. How's your signal?

*Please note, anyone resident in Russia, or any other part of Eastern Europe who reads this - it's a (probably poor) attempt at humour harking back to the days when the USSR was a place to be scared of and "4 Minute Warning" was a common phrase, before Reagan and Gorbachev started trying to make the world a better place.

And there were probably no GPS satellites...

Please do not take offence.

Reactions: goslings
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones