• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS Functioning in Android

whiskcat

Lurker
Nov 13, 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2, Gingerbread 2.3.6 . I have installed the Canon CameraWindow app, which will start location logging, and then when I take pictures with my Canon Powershot S110 camera, I can later stop location logging and using wifi between the camera and the SGP4.2, transmit the GPS data to the images in/on the camera. This works, however sometimes when I map the GPS location, it is sometimes very accurate, and sometimes off some - maybe 30 or 40 yards. I just had one situation where I took two pictures about 20 yards apart and within probably less than 1 minute of each other, and the GPS for one picture was accurate to within a few feet and the other picture had the very same location on the map (I didn't think to check the actual GPS lat/long). So I'm thinking the Canon app is not recording the GPS location at a fast enough frequency, and therefore the two pictures used the same GPS coordinates. I have not seen a way in the Canon app to adjust the GPS logging frequency.

I did install GPS Status and Toolbox app and watched the 'fix time' and it is updating every second.

My next step, I think, is to see if I can find the log using the file manager (think I say a Canon directory) to see if the data logged can be deciphered enought to get a time interval.

I think one basic question I have is, when GPS is turned on - it is ON, and it is then up to the app to query it to get the GPS data for it's own purposes, and the app controls all of that, such as frequency of getting the GPS data?

So my question is, does this make sense, and if so, is there a way to make the Canon app record do location logging more frequently it there isn't a 'setting' to do this easily? Or to find out the frequenct the Canon app uses? I've e-mail Canon support, and basically got the 'we don't have any information on how the app works' line from them.

I think one basic question I have is, when GPS is turned on - it is ON, and it is then up to the app to query it to get the GPS data for it's own purposes, and the app controls all of that, such as frequency of getting the GPS data?

That is correct. I do not have the Canon app so I don't know how it operates but it may be that it detects your position when it starts but then doesn't update, or it only logs changes it deems big enough or significant enough, or it may only check once every few minutes as you suggest.

If you have had no luck resolving the issue, you could try some other GPS tracking app (I use Orux Maps to track my cycling but something as simple as Cyclist might be enough for your requirements, or there may be others that just record without giving speed/distance data), and then manually pick out the lat and lon at the relevant time per photo (pretty tedious if you have a lot of photos though)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones