• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jsmith50

Lurker
Oct 4, 2021
I live with a domestic abuser (see also this thread by me: Concerned a Domestic Abuser May Have Put Stalkerware on My Phone). I believe he has sent me GPS trackers via text message when I have tried leaving our home.

This is what happened: After I told him I was leaving home and was a few hours away, he sent me a text message saying he loved me and wanted me to come back home. At the end of the message, however, there was, based on what I remember, an image/emoji of a blue capital “G” that looked similar to the Google “G.” I must have made the mistake of tapping the image, because, I believe, I then got a notification asking if I wanted to share my location with the sender.

Based on what I read about this tracker at the time, it might be called a “glyph” (not sure about the name or the spelling). Questions:
(1) Does anyone know anything about these GPS trackers sent via text message?
(2) If so, is there any way I can see if it’s currently tracking my whereabouts?
(3) Also, is there any way I can avoid the possibility of letting one of these trackers into my phone in the future?
(4) Finally, how would I go about removing the tracker from my phone (note: I have already started turning off Location in Settings)?

These GPS trackers were sent to me on at least two occasions (separated by a year).

Note: I am currently accessing this website via a public computer, so there may be significant delays between my replies. Know that your input is worth every second of your time to me. Just for the record, I am not involved in any illegal activity, so I think that rules out the NSA toying with me (which is not something I think they do, anyway).

Ok, so I looked into this a bit, and such apps do exist.

But the person would need access to your device long enough to install, set up, and hide the app.

These things cannot be sent and installed with text messages, but texts are how the apps are activated.

The app would also exist on the other person's device.

You would need to find the app and uninstall it, or factory reset the device to be rid of it.

Upvote 0
I live with a domestic abuser (see also this thread by me: Concerned a Domestic Abuser May Have Put Stalkerware on My Phone). I believe he has sent me GPS trackers via text message when I have tried leaving our home.

This is what happened: After I told him I was leaving home and was a few hours away, he sent me a text message saying he loved me and wanted me to come back home. At the end of the message, however, there was, based on what I remember, an image/emoji of a blue capital “G” that looked similar to the Google “G.” I must have made the mistake of tapping the image, because, I believe, I then got a notification asking if I wanted to share my location with the sender.

Based on what I read about this tracker at the time, it might be called a “glyph” (not sure about the name or the spelling). Questions:
(1) Does anyone know anything about these GPS trackers sent via text message?
(2) If so, is there any way I can see if it’s currently tracking my whereabouts?
(3) Also, is there any way I can avoid the possibility of letting one of these trackers into my phone in the future?
(4) Finally, how would I go about removing the tracker from my phone (note: I have already started turning off Location in Settings)?

These GPS trackers were sent to me on at least two occasions (separated by a year).

Note: I am currently accessing this website via a public computer, so there may be significant delays between my replies. Know that your input is worth every second of your time to me. Just for the record, I am not involved in any illegal activity, so I think that rules out the NSA toying with me (which is not something I think they do, anyway).
1. like @puppykickr mentioned....with these gps trackers via text, you would need an app installed first. and an app can't be installed via text. it has to be physically downloaded and installed first to the phone. if nobody has gained access to the phone then you should be fine.
2. no way to see this unless you know what the app is that was installed on your phone.....if it ever was installed in the first place.
3. yes.....don't give your phone to any one.
4. deleting the app that is used to track you. if you do not know where the app is, then a factory reset will also do the trick. another idea would be to just run your phone in safe mode. this prevents any 3rd party apps from running. you will not be able to use any outside apps other than the ones that came preinstalled, however.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.

Do you think the presence of the blue “G” is enough evidence that there is/was a GPS tracker on my phone? I never handed my phone to the person unlocked, but I suppose it’s possible they knew my passcode and installed it on the phone when the phone was charging.

Does anyone know anything about these blue “G” emoji-type things that might be called “Glyphs”? If so, could you please provide more information about them and what the app may be called?

Do you think the presence of this blue “G” means there was a GPS-tracking app installed on my phone, or is it possible they were just sending it in the hopes they would be able to track me (note: I am not sure if this person is that tech savvy)? In other words, it possible to send a GPS-tracking emoji without there being the GPS-tracking app installed on the phone?

Please provide any additional information you may know about GPS-tracking apps.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Yes you can track easily. Now a days many apps available in market for tracking and monitoring kids, employees ,The need and ability to track location by SMS have become widespread. If you are a parent, being able to track the location of children using their devices is an absolute necessity. Employers are also able to find and confirm if employees are in their designated areas of work.
For spouses, if you are simply concerned or suspect them of cheating, a text message location tracker might be the tool for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones