1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Gps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lumiwa, Mar 13, 2011.

1. lumiwa

lumiwa Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    I know that is Inspire 4G cheap but if they put in GPS chip should work?

Today I tried to run Google Maps. First it downloaded and than start "Searching for GPS".
    I started at 12:30 PM inside of the building near huge windows, sunshine day and about 40 minutes still searching...
    I turn on my GARMIN and in less than half a minute it works.
    Than I went out on the parking place, no buildings, clear sky and I waited about 15 minutes...NOTHING - still searching...
    I drove to the store, about ten minutes, phojne was on the seat with my GARMIN which works but HTC Inspire "still searching"
    I drove home from the store (about ten minutes) and "Still searching for GPS"
    and at home I put my searching for GPS Inspire near window, call my friend with iPhone, he put his phone near mine and less than minute his phone GPS works but mine "Searching for GPS" to about 5 PM when battery went down.

Do I need to switch to iPhone or is HTC Inspire without GPS chip?

Thank you.

Advertisement

2. greg4android

greg4android Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    Pull up MAPS in the applications BEFORE you launch Navigation.

(in other words, let MAPS launch the navigation).

Also, make sure you have GPS enabled in the control panel.

worked for me (after at first getting the "searching for GPS")

3. lumiwa

lumiwa Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    ...and Searching for Chicago, IL about ten minutes now... I think this peace of junk will be returned soon.

4. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
    Just because you can't work your phone correctly doesn't mean its junk. GPS works fine. User error.

scorpiopantera likes this.
  5. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    just curious but when you go menu-settings-location are the use wireless networks and use gps satellites checked, both should be checked if i uncheck mine i cant get my gps to work

6. lumiwa

lumiwa Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    I have checked both.

7. lumiwa

lumiwa Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    If my phone doesn't works correctly waht is this than? A brilliant phone? No, it is a junk which AT&T brought from somewhere very cheap and selling for much much much more...

8. bigmike75

bigmike75 Newbie
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Schaumburg, IL
    I am having the exact same problems, but they seem to have just started in the past two or three days. I live in Chicago as well, although that may simply be a coincidence. There have been very few posts online about gps issues with this phone so I think that I may exchange this phone for another Inspire tomorrow, as I still love the phone.

9. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Drafter
    DFW TX
    On a forum about only this phone, you're not gonna get great replies when you talk the phone down so much.

I have had some areas where the GPS is slow to pick up. And in some areas the phone is locked on as soon as I open maps.

Try swapping the phone out if you keep having issues.

10. Tware

Tware Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    I've swapped mine for GPS issues, didnt change anything. However, after messing with my replacment, I believe the Navigation issue is a bug in the software. Maps and GPS status will lock just fine when I'm experiencing Navigator issues. Like suggested above, running some other app will reset it and you can go back to navigating.

11. lumiwa

lumiwa Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    It is possible that is a bug in Navigator but today I installed GPS Test from the Market and after one hour didn't fin any satellite...

12. Lincoln4

Lincoln4 Member
    None

Oct 28, 2010
    Male
    Washington
    Interesting. I got my Inspire on March 11th, and GPS has worked great until this morning. Now, it doesn't even see any satellites, much less lock onto them. GPS Test shows no satellites, Maps, and Navigation never show a good location, with the GPS icon at the top of the screen continuously searching. I didn't change any settings, and have checked that they are as they should be...?:thinking: WTF? This is even worse than what I experienced with the Captivate...

13. Rockinfigs

Rockinfigs Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 21, 2010

thats odd. my gps works flawlessly..i had the captivate and the gps experience on that was horrid...but my inspire locks on instantly from day one and has been accurate..it if doesnt work u might have a bad unit.

14. joe3436

joe3436 Newbie
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Believe it or not, I am having the exact same problem. GPS for my Inspire has been non-existent. I actually had a Captivate before this and you know the rest of the story with that one... Now I have the new Inspire and it is giving me the same issues. I have been to two different corporate ATT stores and tried it on multiple HTC Inspire phones there and would you believe it... a lot of the phones have this issue.

A great app to use to see the connectivity is called "GPS Status". This will show you a real-time display of the satellites your phone is hooked up to. The icon is grey with an orange satellite on it.

On my visit today to a corporate ATT store, I had them pull out a brand new Inspire and try and connect. The new Inspire barely had 1 or 2 connections. The actual Inspire floor model was connecting to around 7 satellites. We would hold all 3 phones (mine included) side by side and only the floor model was able to connect to a bunch of satellites.

We might have another Captivate issue on our hands. The workers at ATT were baffled and had no idea what to do. Obviously I would exchange it for a new one, but the new one has the same issue.

They gave me a number to call to get advanced technical support, so I will call that tonight to see what they can do.

If anyone finds out anything regarding this, please hit me up at joe3436 * hotmail * com

15. joe3436

joe3436 Newbie
    None

Mar 4, 2011
  16. Lincoln4

Lincoln4 Member
    None

Oct 28, 2010
    Male
    Washington
    Ok...? Did a factory reset, and it works again. Never mind...?

17. joe3436

joe3436 Newbie
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    I spoke to HTC last night and they said it is a known issue and they are working on a fix. Once they figure it out, they will roll it out with an update. Terrible... It's the Samsung Captivate story all over again... unreal!

18. J Falgout123

J Falgout123 Lurker
    None

Jun 28, 2012
    I was going to reset my phone to default settings and see if that resolved the gps problem, so I took out the sd card, the google navigation was still running and the gps notification icon was flashing, and when I took it out, it stopped blinking. So I force closed it and retried it, it worked fine, took about 1 or 2 minutes, I did it 4 times. So try taking it out if you have one. It's worth a try.