1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

greeting

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by knorth@charter.net, Feb 25, 2010.

1. knorth@charter.net

knorth@charter.net New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Greetings all. This is just the obligatory introduction.

I'm a civil engineer and have done quite a bit of programming both professionally and as an incurable tinkerer. I'm looking for my first ANDROID phone, but won't ask any annoying newbie questions until I have a chance to do some searching.

I've been with T-Mobile for years, but I'm an even longer-time Linux geek. For the older folks among you, I've been playing with Linux since Slackware 4 on diskettes. Yes - I'm that old. I've more recently gotten hooked on various LiveCD Linux distributions and have even played with an ANDROID LiveCD.

I'm signing up here because this long-time T-Mobile customer has a dying RAZR and needs a replacement. I would like to add a QWERTY keyboard and wi-fi capability, but I really don't want to sign any additional contracts, and simply WILL NOT pay for any stinkin' data plan.

So it's finally time for a smart phone. With that decision behind me, it seems that my preferences and background pretty much dictate an ANDROID phone. I'm a newbie though, and I'm willing to acknowledge that I could be talked out of ANDROID if someone here can point me toward some other really cool linux-based smart phone.

knorth@charter.net

Advertisement

2. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Campus Safety Officer
    Earlville, NY
    Welcome to Android Forums!! :)

3. welcome to the forum, glad to have ya aboard!

4. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Washington DC, USA
    Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool: