• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GS4 Broke - What Phone to Get?

Hey guys! Quick disclaimer, this is not a pity party or something to try to see if I broke my phone. I did. The AMOLED display in it is now cracked. I know everything I am talking about. Anyways, I am of course looking to get a new phone. Any suggestions? We will assume in this case money is not an issue, though it is not necessarily the case.

Should I get:
LG G2
Xperia Z2 when it comes out
Another GS4
Nexus 5

Or any other suggestions?
Thanks!
iPreferAndroid

You have omitted one of the most obvious choices namely an S5.

I have bought an S2, S3 and an S4 but due to Knox I shan't be buying another Samsung phone. Having root access matters to me. I was lucky in that I rooted my S4 before I had a Knox-enabled ROM but I am prepared to bet almost anything that the S5 will come with one so rooting will blow the Knox fuse leaving you with possible warranty issues and an inability to reflash a standard ROM.

For this reason, I'd buy a Nexus 5 out of your list if I were in your position, assuming I didn't just fix my phone (which is probably what I would actually do).

Upvote 0
I was thinking about it, but I bought this phone used, and I would like to get something new. Plus, while I can do the repair myself, it will still cost almost $200 for the lcd assembly, while a nexus 5 is $350. And being through T-Mobile, I can get it for cheap down payment and pay it off as I go. I need it soon, and I can't necessarily cover the price of the digitizer. Plus, I am still not 100% certain where to get one that is guaranteed OEM quality. Gorilla glass, the Samsung AMOLED display, the whole package. I am not excited to jump ship from Samsung, which is why the Note 3 is being considered, however I have heard great reviews on the LG G2.

As for the Galaxy S5, I was not very impressed by the launch. I have no intentions of purchasing the device. Maybe the S6 will be more interesting. I hope. And I am into rooting as well...

Upvote 0
Nexus 5 is nice, but no external sd. :(
HTC One is nice, but no removeable battery. :(
In my mind, that leaves the S4 and S5. The S5 has the advantage of KitKat pre-installed. It also has a slightly larger screen than the S4, but with the same pixel density (therefore making the resolution slightly lower than the S4). Take you pick, based on what is important to you.

Upvote 0
I just got the LG G2, I love it. Phone is a beast! I like the interface. The battery life is awesome! I unplugged at 7:00 this morning, it is now 11:25, I have had texts, emails, phone calls and am at 96%... Still have my S4 and love it, but had an upgrade cause I was looking for something new. Screen just slightly bigger but not too big like the S5 might be...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones