• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GTalk starts up automatically after update?

I definitely did not want to make a thread about this because I'm certain it has to have been made before, but I searched and searched and couldn't find a thread, so here goes.

Ever since the update (the one like two weeks ago, the one that caused crashes and they pulled but eventually put back up) GTalk starts itself automatically. I already changed the settings so that it wouldn't start, and everything was great. But since the update, it randomly starts automatically. All the settings are still set to off, but it will start up whenever it feels like it. It's gotten to the point where almost every time I pick up my phone, I have to check Running Services to turn of GTalk.

This is affecting everyone, I'm guessing? Has there been any news about it? Fixes?

Also, somewhat off-topic, but I've been away from the forums for about two weeks. I've been on vacation. Have I missed anything big? Have there been anymore updates, besides the one which caused the crashes (and they ended up putting it back up, right? I didn't download the still glitchy version, right?).

Thanks in advance for everything!

When you say "runs automatically" and is "running all the time" -- do you mean it automatically logs you back into Gtalk automatically (even after force closing), or just that you see the GTalk process there in the Running Services app?

There's a big difference between the two. Even if an app is listed in Running Services, that is no indication of the resources it is consuming or the uptime of the phone. In other words, if it is the latter, then it could very well be harmless. The problem is if what is happening is the former -- now that is terrible.

Upvote 0
I had this same question/issue earlier in another thread. Turns out the Gtalk app is required for other things your phone runs as well and if you've signed out or checked the box to stop the auto-sign in then that's all you can do. It doesn't use any power in itself unless you are 'signed in' at which point it runs in the background to sync your messages/contacts/etc. in your Gtalk list of contacts. So, if it shows up in the Running Services then it's no biggie.

I'm getting easily 18+ hours of battery life and it shows in my running apps all day.

Upvote 0
When you say "runs automatically" and is "running all the time" -- do you mean it automatically logs you back into Gtalk automatically (even after force closing), or just that you see the GTalk process there in the Running Services app?

There's a big difference between the two. Even if an app is listed in Running Services, that is no indication of the resources it is consuming or the uptime of the phone. In other words, if it is the latter, then it could very well be harmless. The problem is if what is happening is the former -- now that is terrible.

When I go into Running Services, GTalk is, more often than not, running. When I enter the Talk app, it says I am signed in/ I would assume it's only doing that because I clicked it? Because I do have it set to not automatically sign me in.

In which case, I'm gravy, right?

Upvote 0
When I go into Running Services, GTalk is, more often than not, running. When I enter the Talk app, it says I am signed in/ I would assume it's only doing that because I clicked it? Because I do have it set to not automatically sign me in.

In which case, I'm gravy, right?

The GTalk services is require for Contacts Sync, Gmail, Lattitude, and a bunch of other Google things. When you open up the Talk App it automatically logs you in. When you click sign out and close it you are signed out of the App.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones