• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GUIDE: From stock 1.5 to the latest root 2.1

I went ahead and snagged the eris21official-root.zip ROM; I am taking things gradually, in baby steps so that I understand what I'm doing as I go along.

There are a couple of ROMs out there that seem to be getting a lot more attention than others, so I'm nearly sure my device will be seeing a new one at some point, for now, however, I'm fine with this one.

There is an application included called, "Superuser Permissions" which I have opened but found blank.. I'll be searching around to read about that.

I have yet to do anything other than move files around. I'll be installing apps next. I need to look at the overclocking apps and threads posted about them.

Following that I plan to find out how to get rid of the stock applications included that I have no use for.

Frisco, I think the "eris21official-root.zip" was a very early 2.1 root ROM based (I also installed this as my first ROM; Paul Kopalek pointed me towards Ivan's). Others devs like Ivan created a more feature-rich ROM called Eris Official 1.0 w/OC that is basically a stock, rooted 2.1 with Sense, bloatware removed, and overclocking (I've seen posts indicating that a2sd might not work out-of-the box on this ROM, but I don't know for sure 'cause I haven't tried it myself--the base ROM starts out with about 140 MB of free memory, so you might never need a2sd anyway).

There's also a Vanilla ROM that is a variant of the above. Shop around and enjoy! :D

Reactions: bjanow and Frisco
Upvote 0
Frisco, did you use the "All in one" script or manual install? I'm thinking of doing it the manual way just to see what happens all along the way.

The manual way is "funner"! :D (you are exactly right, like Frisco also pointed-out earlier, you get to see all of the nitty-gritty steps and get your hands "dirty" :p).

Upvote 0
Well, it caused me to do more reading around ahead of time, after going through the list of instructions a few times.
After installing the SDK it made the reading a little clearer. It actually looks quite simple now after the 6th or so go 'round. If I had an Eris in my possession now I'd do it this minute. Meanwhile I'll keep reading users' experiences. I do like the look of the Official 1.0.

Upvote 0
After installing the SDK it made the reading a little clearer. It actually looks quite simple now after the 6th or so go 'round. If I had an Eris in my possession now I'd do it this minute. Meanwhile I'll keep reading users' experiences. I do like the look of the Official 1.0.

You're doing the same thing I did for several days prior to deciding to root; messing with all you can of the instructions before actually doing it ("dry runs" .. no, not an intestinal malady :D).

Things looked pretty familiar by the time I felt comfortable with doing it.

Btw, why don't you have an Eris in your possession?

Upvote 0
Btw, why don't you have an Eris in your possession?
My kids have them now. I got an Incredible a month ago, and swapped between my Eris and the DI with a *228. Used the Eris for wifi when the DI was activated. But then... her birthday. So it went like, "Dad, everyone has a smartphone and I have this shitty 2 year old LG flip. Even my brother has an Eris..." Now understand the kid is over 21 so it's not like I can say that much about anything anymore. Bottom line, she was right. So I gave her my Eris and got her on a data plan. She loves it as does my son. But I will be rooting that phone in about a week or two and then I'll fly in to see my son and root his too.

I saw your overclocking post about the snap on your phone now. You did mean snapdragon, right? :D

Upvote 0
I saw your overclocking post about the snap on your phone now. You did mean snapdragon, right? :D

Maybe that's what the Snapdragon processor behaves like: an over clocked Verf Nergle (forgot the name of the Eris cpu) :D.

Kidding aside, I'll bet the over clocked Eris is nowhere near as fast or efficient as Snapdragon, but it's interesting to have an increase in speed like this.

I'm watching battery life.. looks normal so far as the hours wear on.

Upvote 0
Maybe that's what the Snapdragon processor behaves like: an over clocked Verf Nergle (forgot the name of the Eris cpu) :D.

Kidding aside, I'll bet the over clocked Eris is nowhere near as fast or efficient as Snapdragon, but it's interesting to have an increase in speed like this.

I'm watching battery life.. looks normal so far as the hours wear on.
Yeah, from what I saw battery life looks about the same with the OC and that's a really good thing. I'll certainly post the differences I notice when I root the Eris regarding speed, but it is quite interesting (great way to put it) when you do get that speed. It's kind of like, "Oh.. this is the way it should be." The difference between the Eris OTA and the DI is not *that* great, but just enough to make a noticeable difference in usability. But now that you OC'd I'm sure you know what I mean.

I'm really happy that you did this, folks follow your lead and this will really help them to root. Between you and Caddy I'm sure a lot of people are installing the SDK as we speak. What about you know who, mod? She root yet?

Edit: forgot, she was on leak v.3

Upvote 0
Just a few tips for anyone wanting to try this:

Charge your battery 100% before trying the first step (with PB00IMG.zip). Mine was close to 50% when I tried the first time, and it got stuck in there for over an hour. With a full battery, however, it took only a few minutes (thanks to erisuser1 for this tip!).

Also, if you get a ton of memory errors on the last line of code while installing Amon's recovery image ("adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img"), reboot your phone and try again, that should fix things (at least it did for me).

Good luck, and thanks to everyone!

Upvote 0
According to this FAQ Eris Root & Firmware FAQ - xda-developers
if a Build has release-keys in the name then it's a 2.1 leak and not rooted.
I upgraded to this eris21official-root.zip from this forum which says it has a build of 2.26.605.4 CL 140744 release-keys, from 1.5 and am confused as to whether I can flash to other ROMs or am I now stuck?
Anyone?

That is the ROM I rooted to and I've flashed since then to Evil Eris and Senseable 3.1, as have many, many others.

No offense intended, bimrluvr, but do you really think there would be a restrictive ROM link included in this rooting instruction?

Upvote 0
Hi, When I download PB00IMG.zip, I get an error that the file is invalid when I try to open or extract. I have HTTP 1.1 unchecked in settings. I dowloaded the file three times after clearing temp files. OR do I just put the whole unzipped file in the root folder? Please advise. Thanks!

Yes, you do NOT unzip or extract the PB00IMG.zip file (word is that it will alter the .zip file -- making it unusable to install on your phone).

Its also a very good idea to verify the base root ROMs MD5 sum from the download source after you download it AND after you place it on your /sdcard. The MD5 sum should be:
63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94

If you are able to verify this checksum, then you can be sure that you have successfully and properly downloaded the correct file intact (which helps to ensure success in your root attempt). Good luck.

Upvote 0
Thanks!

Its also a very good idea to verify the base root ROMs MD5 sum from the download source after you download it AND after you place it on your /sdcard. The MD5 sum should be:
63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94

Not sure how to verify this though...

Beginning dev classes in the fall so I will be done with noob questions eventually :) Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
Thanks!

Not sure how to verify this though...

Beginning dev classes in the fall so I will be done with noob questions eventually :) Thanks for the help!

Not really that hard. If you are comfortable with the Windows Command Prompt (i.e., the old DOS window), you should be fine.

If you want, there is an command-line MD5 sum utility from http://www.md5summer.org/md5sum.zip

- extract the md5sum.exe file to your Android SDK's tools directory (since you'll being doing stuff in there anyway)

- launch DOS Command Prompt

- for help use "md5sum.exe --help"

- syntax is: "md5sum.exe <filename>" (it will display the MD5 sum, followed by the filename)

So, you would do "md5sum.exe PB00IMG.zip". Then, after you copy the file to your /sdcard (let's say its mounted as the G:\ drive on your PC), you would verify the MD5 sum on that file with "md5sum.exe g:\PB00IMG.zip".

Okay? Good luck.

Reactions: danacorbin
Upvote 0
Not really that hard. If you are comfortable with the Windows Command Prompt (i.e., the old DOS window), you should be fine.

If you want, there is an command-line MD5 sum utility from http://www.md5summer.org/md5sum.zip

- extract the md5sum.exe file to your Android SDK's tools directory (since you'll being doing stuff in there anyway)

- launch DOS Command Prompt

- for help use "md5sum.exe --help"

- syntax is: "md5sum.exe <filename>" (it will display the MD5 sum, followed by the filename)

So, you would do "md5sum.exe PB00IMG.zip". Then, after you copy the file to your /sdcard (let's say its mounted as the G:\ drive on your PC), you would verify the MD5 sum on that file with "md5sum.exe g:\PB00IMG.zip".

Okay? Good luck.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. But the MD5sum is over my head. did d/l that utility, couldn't figure out how it worked, read up on MD5sum and could not figure out how to get the md5sum message digest for any files. Nothing I was inputting into the command prompt was working. Kept getting syntax errors, tried removing spaces, adding <'s and >'s. I have no idea what I'm doing!

I'm getting ready to root now. Hope it's all good. I WILL figure out the md5sum thing later because now I want to know how to use it for future reference.

/crosses fingers

Upvote 0
Thanks, I appreciate the help. But the MD5sum is over my head. did d/l that utility, couldn't figure out how it worked, read up on MD5sum and could not figure out how to get the md5sum message digest for any files. Nothing I was inputting into the command prompt was working. Kept getting syntax errors, tried removing spaces, adding <'s and >'s. I have no idea what I'm doing!

I'm getting ready to root now. Hope it's all good. I WILL figure out the md5sum thing later because now I want to know how to use it for future reference.

/crosses fingers

Sorry, the angle-brackets (less-than and greater-than signs) were just meant to show where the filename goes. If you installed the md5sum.exe utility in the same directory as your PB00IMG.zip (base root ROM) file, you would type:

md5sum.exe PB00IMG.zip

and it would then display the MD5 checksum.

If you downloaded the right file, it shouldn't keep you from rooting. Using the MD5 checksum just gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling that you do indeed have the correct base root ROM and not one of the 2.1 leaks (that would prevent you from rooting :( (which would suck :eek:)).

Good luck! Hope all goes well.

Upvote 0
I tried that too. I tried many, many things. I even tried a different utility. I believe I received a syntax error on this one. No avail. PB00IMG.zip and md5sum utility are in different folders. maybe therein is the issue.

Was up til 4 am, but I'm rooted!

Well, that's still weird (did you make sure you grabbed the DOS command-line version?). Here's what I get when I extracted the md5sum.exe utility to my C:\temp directory and ran it (I'm on Windows Vista, by the way):

C:\temp>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 23AC-4107
Directory of C:\temp
06/20/2010 12:04 PM <DIR> .
06/20/2010 12:04 PM <DIR> ..
10/03/2001 09:31 AM 49,152 md5sum.exe
06/17/2010 07:31 PM 107,427,740 PB00IMG.zip
2 File(s) 107,476,892 bytes
2 Dir(s) 86,110,855,168 bytes free
C:\temp>md5sum.exe PB00IMG.zip
63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94 *PB00IMG.zip
C:\temp>

Anyway, congratulations on rooting! Awesome! Pretty cool, eh? :D

edit: you can also place the md5sum.exe program anywhere you like as long as you change your PATH environment variable to also include the directory where the md5sum.exe program resides.

Reactions: danacorbin
Upvote 0
Well, that's still weird (did you make sure you grabbed the DOS command-line version?). Here's what I get when I extracted the md5sum.exe utility to my C:\temp directory and ran it (I'm on Windows Vista, by the way):

C:\temp>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 23AC-4107
Directory of C:\temp
06/20/2010 12:04 PM <DIR> .
06/20/2010 12:04 PM <DIR> ..
10/03/2001 09:31 AM 49,152 md5sum.exe
06/17/2010 07:31 PM 107,427,740 PB00IMG.zip
2 File(s) 107,476,892 bytes
2 Dir(s) 86,110,855,168 bytes free
C:\temp>md5sum.exe PB00IMG.zip
63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94 *PB00IMG.zip
C:\temp>

Anyway, congratulations on rooting! Awesome, dude! Pretty cool, eh?

GRRR I WANT TO FIGURE THIS OUT. ha ha. So when I try to run the md5sum app, it looks like a command prompt opens and closes really fast and thats it. So I just assumed it was something that ran in the background. I opened a command prompt in the folder where the PB00IMG.zip and typed lots of versions of "md5sum.exe PB00IMG.zip". Nada. I'm on Vista too.

md5sumissue.jpg

I'm going to read up and let you know what I am doing wrong. I can pretty much guarantee its something really really stupid on my part.

I have yet to determine if I like being rooted. It's only been a a few hours. I'm just happy that I made it at this point!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones