• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Howto Root LG Motion 4G on Ubuntu Linux (MetroPCS)

If you copy and paste the errors you're getting, and then I can help you out.

levi@******** ~$ ls
Administration Desktop Music out.ogv Software
broadcom-wl-5.100.138 Documents mypc.ogv Pictures Templates
broadcom-wl-5.100.138.tar.bz2 Downloads o4xr.zip Public Videos
levi@******** ~$ cd o4xr
bash: cd: o4xr: No such file or directory
levi@******** ~$ ls
Administration Desktop Music out.ogv Software
broadcom-wl-5.100.138 Documents mypc.ogv Pictures Templates
broadcom-wl-5.100.138.tar.bz2 Downloads o4xr.zip Public Videos
levi@******** ~$ cd o4xr
bash: cd: o4xr: No such file or directory
levi@******** ~$ cd folder/o4xr/
bash: cd: folder/o4xr/: No such file or directory
levi@******** ~$ cd levi/o4xr/
bash: cd: levi/o4xr/: No such file or directory
levi@******** ~$ cd home/levi/o4xr/
bash: cd: home/levi/o4xr/: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong? I am running Fuduntu 2013 64 bit Thanks. :D

Upvote 0
Reactions: Levi0187
Upvote 0
Hey Levi0187,
I'm sorry I haven't the time to help everyone with their commandline troubles. You need to extract the file o4xr.zip before you can do anything with the files.

Here is some info for learning more about how to use the Linux commandline.
BashGuide - Greg's Wiki
BashGuide/CommandsAndArguments - Greg's Wiki
List of Bash online-tutorials [Bash Hackers Wiki]

Thanks, and I understand. I'm downloading Ubuntu 32 bit 12.04LTS right now as I see that as the quicker and easier alternative. LOL

I do have one question though, do I run that apk and then reboot as instructed on the other site, or do I just hold down power and tell it to reboot, but without actually finalizing action through the phone itself? I seen conflicting instructions on this specific action. 1 instruction shows the latter of the two showing that when you run the commands on PC, that will cause it to reboot while you're on the reboot screen on phone. Thanks

Upvote 0
Not sure if you have figured this out. Save the unzipped o4xr file to your home/user file. Open terminal, type ls hit enter, and see if it shows up on the list of your main directory.

Once you see the file, type this as follows;

cd o4xr
sed -i 's/\s*$//' root-linux.sh
chmod 755 root-linux.sh
sudo ./root-linux.sh
[sudo] password for user: enter password
Don't touch the device or unplug while rooting!

After that let it run, and let your phone reboot, and you should be rooted. ;)

Here is a good tutorial for using terminal.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

I just wanted to throw a big thanks out there for your simplification on this. Don't get me wrong, I understand the original, but for people I've noticed having issues on here, this is a way for even the least experienced users to grasp. I hope you don't mind if I add to yours though as the original site had a conflicting issue.

Download and run the apk on your phone with the usb disconnected. While the apk is running, (It will say on a white screen "Hello world") meaning do not exit out from the "hello world" screen!! hold down your power button and choose restart your phone and after your phone reboots, plug in usb and choose charge only and then type the commands listed above into terminal and once rebooted, you're rooted!!

Also a note!~ Ubuntu doesn't need to mount or recognize this device in your home folders as it did not mine. Just follow the steps and the terminal will see it and do it's thing. :D

Upvote 0
Great news Levi, glad to hear everything worked out for you. I'll add your tips to the OP (original post), as they may help others.

As an FYI: Be careful, as there is currently no way to UNBRICK the LG Motion without MS Windows. Also, CM10 does not have 4G support on the LG Motion

Ok, thanks. I was curious about the needing MS though. I ran the programs in Fuduntu and they ran exactly like they did on Windows. I actually tried it and got the same results as I did on Windows. I was told I had a bad download for the firmware by Sammyz, so I re-downloaded using a torrent. both files are exactly 569.8 MB so I'm not sure yet. I took my phone to a shop. They said they could do it no problem, but three days later I had to get it from them cause they were taking too long so I'm gonna try again. :D

Upvote 0
Great news Levi, glad to hear everything worked out for you. I'll add your tips to the OP (original post), as they may help others.

As an FYI: Be careful, as there is currently no way to UNBRICK the LG Motion without MS Windows. Also, CM10 does not have 4G support on the LG Motion

I was curious as to any available roms for the LG Motion and if you have any recommends?

Upvote 0
Phone unbricked. :) I have been really curious lately about the LG program used for flashing firmware. I know I was told that there is currently no way to unbrick your phone without MS Windows, but I was curious as to if anybody has tested this program using wine on Linux. Bear with me as I may be a simpleton on some stuff as I am not a programmer.
I also know that it seems that different Linux distros run different programs through wine more effectively than others. Except for games, I have found that Fuduntu runs general Windows programs easily. I was mainly curious if anybody has the capacity to try this? Am I totally missing something where it is just not possible? Just curious is all. I would love to do it myself, but I can't afford to replace my phone and don't have any test subjects laying around the house. LOL

Upvote 0
I'm new here and a little scared to try and root my Motion. Can the process be done with the cell phone by itself? Or does it HAVE TO BE done through a computer? I once rooted a Huawei Ascend using ONLY the phone and it's own internet. This sounds a little more complex.

The phone can't be rooted with just the phone. Remember, this guide is for Linux computers

Upvote 0
I just wanted to throw a big thanks out there for your simplification on this. Don't get me wrong, I understand the original, but for people I've noticed having issues on here, this is a way for even the least experienced users to grasp. I hope you don't mind if I add to yours though as the original site had a conflicting issue.

Download and run the apk on your phone with the usb disconnected. While the apk is running, (It will say on a white screen "Hello world") meaning do not exit out from the "hello world" screen!! hold down your power button and choose restart your phone and after your phone reboots, plug in usb and choose charge only and then type the commands listed above into terminal and once rebooted, you're rooted!!

Also a note!~ Ubuntu doesn't need to mount or recognize this device in your home folders as it did not mine. Just follow the steps and the terminal will see it and do it's thing. :D

Sorry for not responding, I've been busy with college. I'm glad you got this whole thing sorted out. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones