• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide]ROOTING HTC android 2.2.1 or lower with unrEVOked - Windows (updated 20th December 2012)

I have rooted successfully (I guess as there is no error message). Below is my current software version and kernel.
Could anyone advise whether i have rooted successfully?
Many thanks ^^

Android Version

Baseband version
32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2

Kernel version
2.6.32.15-gd96f2c0
htc-kernel@and18-2#1

Build number
2.13.707.2.CL274424 release-keys

Software version

Browser version
Webkit 3.1

After rooted, i have 'superuser' app in my app drawer.

Upvote 0
@mistral: if you have the superuser app, then almost certainly you have rooted. To test, download Titanium Backup (you'll want this anyway). Ti needs root, so if you can run it you are rooted.

When you try to run it, the superuser app should pop up and ask whether you want to give it root permission. After that, Ti may complain that it needs "busybox", in which case press the "problems" button in the app to download it.

Upvote 0
@mistral: if you have the superuser app, then almost certainly you have rooted. To test, download Titanium Backup (you'll want this anyway). Ti needs root, so if you can run it you are rooted.

When you try to run it, the superuser app should pop up and ask whether you want to give it root permission. After that, Ti may complain that it needs "busybox", in which case press the "problems" button in the app to download it.

Hadron, thanks for your replied. I tried to flash a new ROM (MIUI). After it had successfully flashed from my sdcard, when i reboot my phone, it stayed on the 'HTC' page for long. Is this normal?

Thank you. :)

Upvote 0
No, i didn't. Do i need so?
Do you mean i need to delete all the thing in my phone before flashing a new ROM? If it is, how to do? Could you please teach me, i'm a newbie here :)

Thanks a lot.
you do a factory reset via recovery, then flash the rom of choice.
you can use titanium backup to save the apps you want if you want to move them to a new rom (dont do system apps)

nandroid is good for backing up current rom but not for restoring to new rom

Upvote 0
my phone was bought from t-mobile with network lock (i dont think thats branded cuz there is nothing from t-mobile in the phone, like start up logo, wallpapers, ringtones etc..) so i gave the phone to a local mobile service to unlock the network and thats was done...
today i tryed to root but unsuccesfully :(

Hboot - 0.93.0001
android ver 2.2
baseband ver 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27
Kernel ver 2.6.32.15-gf5a401c htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
build num. 2.29.405.5 CL293415 release-keys
sw num 2.29.405.5
browser ver webkit 3.1

everytime i run unrevoked it stucks on "validate error: backup CID is missing"
also i've noticed in botloader menu that the phone is S-OFF

Any solution about my problem ? TY

Upvote 0
No, SIM unlock won't S-Off a Desire.

I take it that the HBOOT screen didn't have any pink writing at the top, including the word AlphaRev? I don't think it will if the phone was bought from new, just want to check. I think you probably just got one where the NAND security flag was not set, for whatever unfathomable reason - that would be the third or fourth I remember seeing.

Upvote 0
ahk thanks. Oh and where exactly would I find the A.R.A build of my Desire?

EDIT: I just ran unRevoked, and the next step was to click custom recovery, though this was greyed out...I unticked the disable phone security and it seemed to be doing something with my phone and im worried that was a mistake, but i now have superuser permissions, but i dont know if i should continue or do the custom recovery now (even though i thought it was needed before the last step). But even if i try download the AmonRA, I am prompted for a user and pass??

Upvote 0
ahk thanks. Oh and where exactly would I find the A.R.A build of my Desire?

EDIT: I just ran unRevoked, and the next step was to click custom recovery, though this was greyed out...I unticked the disable phone security and it seemed to be doing something with my phone and im worried that was a mistake, but i now have superuser permissions, but i dont know if i should continue or do the custom recovery now (even though i thought it was needed before the last step). But even if i try download the AmonRA, I am prompted for a user and pass??
you wont, ARA is an actually version of HTC sense rom. if you are not running the Arabic build you are not A.R.A

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones