• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide]ROOTING HTC android 2.2.1 or lower with unrEVOked - Windows (updated 20th December 2012)

I rooted my phone with the help of SUroot when I first got it. Was asked to do a friends last night as he could no longer install anything due to lack of memory. Followed this guide exactly several times without success. Then the penny dropped - the phones memory was full. We uninstalled some of the larger apps and tried again. Worked a treat. New rom flashed.

So just to add - if you are having problems check you have some free memory on your phone.

Indeed. In fact this is mentioned in the accompanying rooting FAQ.

From the Rooting FAQ said:
Other UnrEVOked errors...

There are other errors involving "failed to unlock NAND" or containing "MISC" or "backup CID". Although there are lengthy ways to overcome these which often will not work, it may just be as well to downgrade using teppic74's downgrade tool (GSM ONLY), to 2.1 and try with an older unrEVOked version.

[HOWTO] Downgrade Froyo (2.2) to Stock 2.1 (ANY HBOOT | WIN/LINUX/MAC | ROOT) - xda-developers

Another error received is "Internal error: installing package failed." This can sometimes be down to there not being enough space on the device in "internal storage". You can delete some apps or even wipe as a possible work around.

Reactions: togger161
Upvote 0
Was wondering if i could get some advice. I have a new HTC desire and would like to root it and subsequently get rid of all the orange rubbish on it.

Been looking at the guide and I looked at the PVT and i have a four one. but the terminal application recommended doesnt work, so i tried a different one, but this gives me permission denied. What would you recommend that i do ??

Cheers

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yeah, also we know that it shows in device manager so we know its picking it up. On laptops (and front USB ports on desktops) they are often underpowered so basic connections work fine, but more advanced stuff (like rooting) these ports are not sufficient.

It may be worth trying it on another PC. If it still happens, we know its not your laptop. Its your phone. (or you ;) )

Reactions: big63vis
Upvote 0
this is the only bit of the process i didnt fully understand so i got feeling i done something wrong here

Essential information

Current Android Software version

• Settings>About phone. We need to check if your software is the ARA build (ARA 2.xx.415.x) this is the Arab build
Hboot version, PVT and Erase size.

• Boot into Hboot (from off, hold volume down and press power)
  • Make a note of your Hboot version - Must be lower than 1.06
  • Make a note of your PVT version. If it is PVT4 you must now check if the erase size is 40,000
  • "Download Terminal emulator" from the market and open it.
  • Type "cat /proc/mtd" and press enter. It will return results of either 20,000 or 40,000

Upvote 0
this is the only bit of the process i didnt fully understand so i got feeling i done something wrong here

Essential information

Current Android Software version

• Settings>About phone. We need to check if your software is the ARA build (ARA 2.xx.415.x) this is the Arab build

If you had this version, you would get "Is your firmware too new?" so its nothing to do with that. Plus you're probably not on ARA as thats the Arab build.

Hboot version, PVT and Erase size.

• Boot into Hboot (from off, hold volume down and press power)
  • Make a note of your Hboot version - Must be lower than 1.06
  • Make a note of your PVT version. If it is PVT4 you must now check if the erase size is 40,000
  • "Download Terminal emulator" from the market and open it.
  • Type "cat /proc/mtd" and press enter. It will return results of either 20,000 or 40,000

Which bit didnt you understand? This is just information you require.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones