• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Unbrick/Upgrade Optimus V [EASY] [KDZ]

sammyz

LG Whiz Kid
  • Jun 3, 2011
    All of you may or may not know about my KP500 unbrick method, but this one will replace my unbrick and upgrade/downgrade/return to stock methods. Why? Because this is 100x more easier than KP500 and 10x more easier than LGNPST. These are somewhat the same directions as in the readme file that I included in the single download that contains everything you need.

This may not fully unbrick your phone in certain circumstances (neither will KP500). In such cases, please PM me.

DO NOT USE THIS TO RETURN TO ZV5 IF YOU ARE RUNNING ZVD/ZVJ FIRMWARE.

Download this: Unbrick OV KDZ.rar

Unbrick directions:

1. Install Drivers (LGUnitedMobileDriver_S4981MAN37AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.7.2)>Reboot
    2. Install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi)
    3. Connect phone in emergency mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Back key + plug in USB)
    4. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
    5. Select ZV5.kdz
    6. In "type", choose 3GQCT
    7. In Phonemode, choose EMERGENCY
    8. Click Launch software update
    9. Wait for the error to come up
    10. Press OK
    11. Unplug phone, pull battery, press power button
    12. Click Launch software update
    13. This time it won't error, you will be unbricked.
    14. Enjoy :D

Upgrade/Downgrade/Return to stock directions:

1. Install Drivers, Reboot
    2. Install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi)
    3. Connect phone in recovery mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Home key)(This will not work with certain recoveries, in that case you will need your MSL code here and then dial ##PORT# and enter MSL code (aka SPC code))
    4. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
    5. Select ZV5.kdz
    6. In type, choose 3GQCT
    7. In Phonemode, choose DIAG
    8. Click Launch software update
    9. Enjoy :D

If you get a bootloop after any of these methods above, go into recovery, factory reset, reboot.

If you get a blackscreen while trying to access recovery and can't boot up, redo unbrick method. After that you will most likely still get a blackscreen recovery, but it boots. In that case, just flash another custom recovery. DO NOT FACTORY RESET from privacy menu. PM me if you need stock recovery on it.

Like my work?
    Donate here :D

Thought I would try this with my first 2.2.1 that I bricked back in April of last year.
    After First error code I clicked OK, unplugged phone and pulled battery. Reinstalled battery, pushed power button and plugged phone back in. Clicked on Launch Software Update. Got another error code:
    "Upgrade Error code 84"
    Pop up says:
    WParam:100
    L Param:84

The ZV4 you gave me I had to rename to ZV4.kdz
    It got an error after KDZ file extracted:
    "Extract file error"
    EDIT: I'm getting the error because the ZV4 keeps replicating itself during the unpacking. Haven't figured out how to keep this one from doing it. Every trick I learned in the past is not working.
    You can not have any other downloaded or replicated .cab or .kdz on the PC or it will continue to error while extracting.

Note: I remembered how to get into emergency mode with a phone that wont get into it with the normal button combo. If a member has the same problem do this:
    Let battery drain totally dead, pull battery and hold power button for 30 sec.
    re-install battery.
    After plugging in USB cable into the PC, carefully place the USB cable into the phones port just enough to keep it from falling out but not enough to allow it to apply power to the phone. Hold BACK+CAMERA+VOLUME DOWN+POWER then push the USB cable into the phone all the way (easier said than done, practice with the USB cable unplugged from PC first).

Upvote 0
    ZV4 kdz won't work because it's not the correct format.....kdz files are encrypted cabs. Cabs from LG are decrypted kdz files.....if you want zv4.kdz I'll pm it to you once I make zv4.kdz...its not as simple as renaming the file.

Now why you still get the error with ZV5 kdz.....phone has to NOT say "Emergency Mode" in red text, but it still has to say software download. Try unplug>pull battery>replug. Battery cannot be dead, if it's dead it wont work.

Upvote 0
    I used the one you sent me the first time, remember. Lol
    Go ahead and PM me with another one and I'll see what's different.
    The one you sent me when extracted gave me a folder with the LS670_W_0_0_2_0.dll and the ZV4.wdb (Microsoft Works Database)

EDIT: The only way to get my phone into emergency mode was to do what I mentioned in the previous post. Hmmm??? At least now it goes into emergency mode when I plug the USB cable into it (screen isn't even warm though, stone cold). Hmmm???
    Let me see if it will charge when I plug it into the regular wall charger.

Upvote 0
    I used the one you sent me the first time, remember. Lol
    Go ahead and PM me with another one and I'll see what's different.
    The one you sent me when extracted gave me a folder with the LS670_W_0_0_2_0.dll and the ZV4.wdb (Microsoft Works Database)

EDIT: The only way to get my phone into emergency mode was to do what I mentioned in the previous post. Hmmm??? At least now it goes into emergency mode when I plug the USB cable into it (screen isn't even warm though, stone cold). Hmmm???
    Let me see if it will charge when I plug it into the regular wall charger.

Ik the zv4 cab ≠ zv4 kdz by renaming.....

Upvote 0
    DUH! Pulled battery from good phone (100% battery) and put it into brick.
    Got the same error with the ZV5.kdz:banghead:
    Breaking and training an Appaloosa is way easier than this.

Note:pulled battery and it was stone cold. It should have been at least a little warm?

It put good phone into brick??? o_O what the heck?
    Edit: Downloading ZV4.cab from my own mediafire because idk where I put the good ZV4.cab I built........then will convert to kdz and upload it.

Upvote 0
    No. Lol! Why would I use your unbrick guide on a perfectly good phone?
    My first V I bricked after just a month of use back in April of last year (used a guide to root that was supposed to be for the V, but it was bunk). That is what I'm using it on. I actually already know how to use the KDZ updater, tried to unbrick with the bad ZV4 and even the bad ZV5 firmware using it last May (didn't know they where bad at the time).
    Just had to wait until a good ZV4 or ZV5 was out there and try it again.

Upvote 0
    No. Lol! Why would I use your unbrick guide on a perfectly good phone?
    My first V I bricked after just a month of use back in April of last year (used a guide to root that was supposed to be for the V, but it was bunk). That is what I'm using it on. I actually already know how to use the KDZ updater, tried to unbrick with the bad ZV4 and even the bad ZV5 firmware using it last May (didn't know they where bad at the time).
    Just had to wait until a good ZV4 or ZV5 was out there and try it again.

It sounds like it might be perma bricked.....did the olddddd lgnpst method unbrick it? Cause if that doesn't unbrick it, nothing will.

Upvote 0
    Phone just stayed in E-Mode. I think I will have to try the old method with the KP-500 and see if that works.
    Tried every conceivable option and the best it would do is error out after not being able to find the dll msg.
    Went for quite a while a couple of times and even got to a point where it did a reset of the phone which gave me the LG logo, but still no-go on any functions.

Upvote 0
    Did you try: Pull battery, re-insert batter, Hold down BACK+VOLUME DOWN then insert USB cable while pushing POWER. It's a bit tricky but can be done with a little practice.

If that doesn't work you will need two batteries. The first fully charged. The second battery let totally drain. Then pull battery and push POWER for 30 sec. Re-insert the drained battery. Carefully insert the USB cable into the phone only far enough to keep it from falling out, but not enough to allow it to transfer power. Then hold down BACK+CAMERA+VOLUME DOWN. (THIS IS WHERE IT REALLY GETS TRICKY) While holding all those buttons down you now have to push POWER and insert the USB cable the rest of the way all at the same time.

Run the KDZ updater the first time, it will give you an error. Click OK, unplug cable, pull battery, and insert the fully charged battery. Now you should be good.
    Although, if you had to get the phone into E-Mode this way you might need to drop back to the old unbrick guide.

Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    about how long does this process usually take :O

EDIT: 11:16 A.M. It's been goin for like 40 minutes i hope thats a good sign? D:

And now its been an hour. Im guessing its not a good sign? :mad:

im afraid it might not be working because my battery has died... is there a way to charge it because the phone will not allow the battery to just charge

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones