• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [H631/MS631] CyanogenMod 12.1 for LG G Stylo

If I did the code correctly it should work just like the TWRP repack I did a while back.
tweak the updater script it wont flash lol im gonna do it myself but js
Edit:
just flashed btw its boot looping got it to boot by removing sim card... must be network related?
put sim back in and now booting perfectly. Even GPS works only flaw is video recording

Last edited:
Upvote 0
tweak the updater script it wont flash lol im gonna do it myself but js
Edit:
just flashed btw its boot looping got it to boot by removing sim card... must be network related?
put sim back in and now booting perfectly. Even GPS works only flaw is video recording
Can you please tell what you did to the updater script it wouldnt flash either i have one of the old stylo too thank you

Upvote 0
Stock itself sets the minimum to 800mhz as this is the default qualcomm recommended value. Not sure if I should lower it unless there is a specific reason to.

https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/qui...t.qcom.post_boot.sh?h=LA.BR.1.1.3_rb1.45#n534

I've been taking a look at the boost mobile update their kernel source does update all variants properly. The blobs may or may not work not sure if our camera HAL was the same but they did ship all proper camera blobs for both. I'm awaiting on a system dump to compare.
Hey Noobified,I have fully updated the vendor blobs in the mm-test branch of my propritary_vendor_lge repo on my github. The README says I have not built with them but I have built with them and they build, I just have not changed the README. All though I am not sure if we should use the libWVStreamControlAPI_L3.so or keep the libWVStreamControlAPI_L1.so in vendor/lge/g4stylus-common/proprietary/vendor/lib. I also pushed the updated stock kernel for the sprint and boost mobile variant of the Stylo to android_kernel_lge_g4stylus-stock repo on my github. It looks like LG is using the same kernel source for the Stylo and the Leon as there are g4stylusn and c50 defconfigs in the the kernel source. I am going to admit merging the new kernel source is a little over my head cause I have been trying for a while now. I also added some cherry picks to a fork of your kernel source so it will build with CM 13. It is the mm branch of my fork. I have built with both the pure stock kernel and the forked kernel with the cherry picks. Both do not boot, they do not even get to the bootanimation. Also your android_device_lge_msm8916-common needs this commit for it to build with CM13. You will also have some overlay issues as well in device/lge/msm8916-common. You will have to remove or comment out the following lines.

In device/lge/msm8916-common/overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml
<!-- Performance profiles -->
<string name="config_perf_profile_prop">powerhal</string>
<string name="config_perf_profile_default_entry">1</string>

In device/lge/msm8916-common/overlay/packages/services/Telecomm/res/values/config.xml
<!-- Flag indicating if the speed up audio on mt call code should be executed -->
<bool name="config_speed_up_audio_on_mt_calls">true</bool>

I am making this post for you because I have been working on getting CM 13 to boot on the h631 for over 2 months now without any luck. So I want to share the knowledge I have about building CM 13 with you and others so maybe it can help get Android 6.0 ROMs going on the Stylo. I looked at the update.zip for the Boostmobile and I did not see a update to the aboot.img so I do not think the device needs a update to boot Android 6.0. Here is to the system folder from the update that a user uploaded for me a while back if it might help you some.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have been having to remove a commit from two caf repos also to get it to build. One is the last commit in Cyanogenmod/android_hardware_qcom_audio in the cm-13.0-caf-8916 branch which will be hardware/qcom/audio-caf/msm8916 in source. And the second one is the last commit in Cyanogen/android_hardware_qcom_display in the cm-13.0-caf-msm8916 branch which will be hardware/qcom/display-caf/msm8916 in source. Both of those commits cause undefined errors.

Also I have been working on getting TWRP 3.0.0-0 built for the h631. I had to abandon the twrp repo you have and make a new one because when I used your repo I only got half of the screen showing correctly. The new repo I am using gives me the correct full screen display, but the touch input does not work. I have tried everything to to get it to work. This is the repo I made for it. I made it from the twrp repo for the android_device_huawei_kiwi, I have a link to the original repo in the first commit message. I have tried adding the touch_dev.idc file and the touch file from system/bin and still no touch input. I am using a prebuilt dt.img and kernel from a cm12.1 using the kernel source I forked from your github with the cherry picks. I built it just so I could grab those from the build. I have not tried adding the line to pull the frameworks/native/data/etc/android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.jazzhand.xml for touch yet though. But to be honest I do not think recovery would even use it. Below is a screen shot of what the recovery build boots to. Maybe you can make further progress than I have so far.

23_08_3340lower_zpsck4yvhwc.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
how did you get this build to boot on h631?

is they there any way you can copy and paste your edited updater script?

please and thank you
I got to to boot. i got the old stylo but once it turned on it wouldnt come back on just black screen. tried the fix to just restore the boot image from his older builds that didnt work . if any body has a fix please share thank you

Upvote 0
Hey Noobified,I have fully updated the vendor blobs in the mm-test branch of my propritary_vendor_lge repo on my github. The README says I have not built with them but I have built with them and they build, I just have not changed the README. All though I am not sure if we should use the libWVStreamControlAPI_L3.so or keep the libWVStreamControlAPI_L1.so in vendor/lge/g4stylus-common/proprietary/vendor/lib. I also pushed the updated stock kernel for the sprint and boost mobile variant of the Stylo to android_kernel_lge_g4stylus-stock repo on my github. It looks like LG is using the same kernel source for the Stylo and the Leon as there are g4stylusn and c50 defconfigs in the the kernel source. I am going to admit merging the new kernel source is a little over my head cause I have been trying for a while now. I also added some cherry picks to a fork of your kernel source so it will build with CM 13. It is the mm branch of my fork. I have built with both the pure stock kernel and the forked kernel with the cherry picks. Both do not boot, they do not even get to the bootanimation. Also your android_device_lge_msm8916-common needs this commit for it to build with CM13. You will also have some overlay issues as well in device/lge/msm8916-common. You will have to remove or comment out the following lines.

In device/lge/msm8916-common/overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml
<!-- Performance profiles -->
<string name="config_perf_profile_prop">powerhal</string>
<string name="config_perf_profile_default_entry">1</string>

In device/lge/msm8916-common/overlay/packages/services/Telecomm/res/values/config.xml
<!-- Flag indicating if the speed up audio on mt call code should be executed -->
<bool name="config_speed_up_audio_on_mt_calls">true</bool>

I am making this post for you because I have been working on getting CM 13 to boot on the h631 for over 2 months now without any luck. So I want to share the knowledge I have about building CM 13 with you and others so maybe it can help get Android 6.0 ROMs going on the Stylo. I looked at the update.zip for the Boostmobile and I did not see a update to the aboot.img so I do not think the device needs a update to boot Android 6.0. Here is to the system folder from the update that a user uploaded for me a while back if it might help you some.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have been having to remove a commit from two caf repos also to get it to build. One is the last commit in Cyanogenmod/android_hardware_qcom_audio in the cm-13.0-caf-8916 branch which will be hardware/qcom/audio-caf/msm8916 in source. And the second one is the last commit in Cyanogen/android_hardware_qcom_display in the cm-13.0-caf-msm8916 branch which will be hardware/qcom/display-caf/msm8916 in source. Both of those commits cause undefined errors.

Also I have been working on getting TWRP 3.0.0-0 built for the h631. I had to abandon the twrp repo you have and make a new one because when I used your repo I only got half of the screen showing correctly. The new repo I am using gives me the correct full screen display, but the touch input does not work. I have tried everything to to get it to work. This is the repo I made for it. I made it from the twrp repo for the android_device_huawei_kiwi, I have a link to the original repo in the first commit message. I have tried adding the touch_dev.idc file and the touch file from system/bin and still no touch input. I am using a prebuilt dt.img and kernel from a cm12.1 using the kernel source I forked from your github with the cherry picks. I built it just so I could grab those from the build. I have not tried adding the line to pull the frameworks/native/data/etc/android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.jazzhand.xml for touch yet though. But to be honest I do not think recovery would even use it. Below is a screen shot of what the recovery build boots to. Maybe you can make further progress than I have so far.

23_08_3340lower_zpsck4yvhwc.png
Your missing the device tree bring up portion. I've began to push those changes for new blobs and cm-13.0 support will follow. I'm also dropping my kernel for the new one it ships all necessary changes for g4stylusn I'll merge it in caf next week I have the diff ready.

Upvote 0
You must have got a full dumb of the update. I only had the system folder. I had asked to get full dump but never gor a response feom anyone with one. I took a looked at your commits in the msm8916-common and g4stylus-common. I am currently making all the updates to my vendor/lge from the commit you made in g4stylus-common. I tried adding the updated int files to recovery already and still not touch input so I think it will take a new kernel to get it going as the kernel is were the touch events come from in recovery. With that said I think once the kernel is updated your original TWRP repo should work. I added the kernel and dt.img I am using to your repo and got the same result as with the repo I made.

When you say caf kernel I am not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate on that for me as I was not aware of a caf kernel unless you mean the android_kernel_cyanogen_msm8916 kernel source.

Upvote 0
You must have got a full dumb of the update. I only had the system folder. I had asked to get full dump but never gor a response feom anyone with one. I took a looked at your commits in the msm8916-common and g4stylus-common. I am currently making all the updates to my vendor/lge from the commit you made in g4stylus-common. I tried adding the updated int files to recovery already and still not touch input so I think it will take a new kernel to get it going as the kernel is were the touch events come from in recovery. With that said I think once the kernel is updated your original TWRP repo should work. I added the kernel and dt.img I am using to your repo and got the same result as with the repo I made.

When you say caf kernel I am not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate on that for me as I was not aware of a caf kernel unless you mean the android_kernel_cyanogen_msm8916 kernel source.
caf is codeauroraforum they are the opensource qcom . The branch for the kernel is la.br.1.2.6 I plan to merge LG into their kernel since there most likely won't be any other updates from LG it's better to count on caf to continue to update power and display parts for stability. When you merge in caf, you can continue to track the branch the kernel was based on and stay up to date with cm display and media changes.

Here's the full boost partition dump if you can access it
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bxc2UtZRi5TqYWttNmI2SC1lcGc&usp=drive_web

Reactions: TMacgnolia
Upvote 0
caf is codeauroraforum they are the opensource qcom . The branch for the kernel is la.br.1.2.6 I plan to merge LG into their kernel since there most likely won't be any other updates from LG it's better to count on caf to continue to update power and display parts for stability. When you merge in caf, you can continue to track the branch the kernel was based on and stay up to date with cm display and media changes.

Here's the full boost partition dump if you can access it
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bxc2UtZRi5TqYWttNmI2SC1lcGc&usp=drive_web

Thanks for the info on the caf kernel source I can view the link to the Everything in Boot-Device by-name you linked. I still say merging it with the stock kernel is a little over my skill set just because of the massive undertaking it is, but then again I only know how to use git merge and git merge tool. I am sure you know of a better way for such a large merge.

I updated my vendor using your g4stylus-common commit as a guide line. I also re cloned your android_device_lge_msm8916-common. Then tried to build using the updated device repos and vendor. I had to remove the libqcompostprocbundle audio lib from msm8916.mk as it was causing errors in hardware/qcom/audio-caf/msm8916. Also still had to remove the this commit and this commit from hardware/qcom/audio-caf/msm8916. I beleive the errors are due to the caf kernel not being merged yet though as I am still building with the stock kernel. The error is because of #include <sound/audio_effects.h> in some of the files in hardware/qcom/audio-caf/msm8916. I tried coping the audio_effects.h in the kernel from include/uaip/sound to include/sound but still got errors on it so it may be more to it. But removing libqcompostprocbundle got me past all of the errors. I then had to fix the updated xml files in msm8916-common/configs. They were giving parsing errors on XML decloration. Then last I still had to comment out some of the overlays. I still had to use the wcnss_lge: include errno.h commit in device/lge/msm8916-common/wcnss_lge/wcnss_lge_client.c.

I did get the build to complete but still no boot animation. It shows the LG splash screen for a while and then reboots to the splash screen and just continues this until you do a battery pull. I am sure the kernel will be the key to getting CM13 and other custom ROMs up and running on the h631. Anyway just wanted to share the info I had with you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones