• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hacking my phone

If they are any good, not easily.

But honestly the most likely way for a phone to be hacked is through a badly-secured Google account. So enable two-factor authentication, use a strong password, check your account settings to see what devices have access to it and disable access for any you don't recognise or no longer use.

Other than that the biggest risk is if you give someone unsupervised physical access to your phone (allowing them to install spyware). So don't. And if you are using apps that can share your location with others (which includes stuff like SnapChat) turn that off if you don't want to be tracked or at least make sure that nobody you don't want has access to that information. This is also true if anyone else has access to your Google account: you probably have "location history" enabled because Google want to collect data so make it easy to turn on without really realising (in particular if you ever enable Assistant it turns absolutely every form of data recording on. Turning Assistant off does not turn any of that stuff back off). So if anyone else has access to your account they can track your movements and activity through your Google history unless you have been scrupulous in ensuring that that stuff is off.

Of course if the NSA or GCHQ are interested in you you should assume that there is no way of protecting your privacy if you own a smartphone. But you will know if you've been doing anything that might make you of interest to them.

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, Rebeccamandell251!
How can I tell if someone is tracking or hacking my phone
Do you have reason to believe that's happening? For example, having suspicious apps appear, or your phone behaving in a peculiar manner, or passwords not working?

If we know why you're asking, we may be better able to help, in addition to @Hadron's excellent comments.

Reactions: ocnbrze and MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones