• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent and Where's my Droid--any issues?

andadroid

Jan 26, 2010
Hi,

I want to install a non-native sms app (handcent) as well as Where's My Droid, however both programs have access to communication and contacts, which always worries me, esp on a free program.
Does anyone know if there are any known datamining problems with these apps? Any other malicious code, etc? Just want to check before I download.

Thanks!

Hi,

I want to install a non-native sms app (handcent) as well as Where's My Droid, however both programs have access to communication and contacts, which always worries me, esp on a free program.
Does anyone know if there are any known datamining problems with these apps? Any other malicious code, etc? Just want to check before I download.

Thanks!
In fairness, I think you're pretty screwed if you want an SMS program that doesn't have access to communication and contacts, they are pretty vital to a messaging program. Handcent is a pretty popular program, so I'm fairly sure it would have come up if they were data-mining

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones