• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Harassing email...

atrain311

Android Expert
Jul 1, 2010
Queensbury, NY
Hi all, I'm in need of some help. Starting yesterday I've been getting the email listed below every few minutes. I've spoken the Phases and we believe there is actually no malice involved, but rather that my phone or PC are polling the site with possibly my old password (since we had to change it) and then it gives me this email. I've used what's my IP to confirm that the IP listed in the email is indeed mine (but strangely this ip address is the same for my phone and pc as it is listed as public). Any help would be great, thanks.

Hi all, I'm in need of some help. Starting yesterday I've been getting the email listed below every few minutes. I've spoken the Phases and we believe there is actually no malice involved, but rather that my phone or PC are polling the site with possibly my old password (since we had to change it) and then it gives me this email. I've used what's my IP to confirm that the IP listed in the email is indeed mine (but strangely this ip address is the same for my phone and pc as it is listed as public). Any help would be great, thanks.

Here's the email, sorry meant to list it... It is coming from Phandroid...

Dear atrain311,

Someone has tried to log into your account on Android Forums with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address:

Upvote 0
atrain, I've had this happen to me the past couple weeks. First thing is, make sure you can identify the IP address and where it is (mine was for my apartment).
Look at all your devices/computers that connect to the internet and AF in particular.
I found my desktop, which I never use for AF was logged in to an old password. I signed out from every other device on that router (laptop, tablets) and changed my password.
Once that was all done, I was ready to roll and I'm no longer receiving emails for failed login attempts.
Let me know if you need anymore help and if I can't help, we can go to Phases. :)

Upvote 0
atrain, I've had this happen to me the past couple weeks. First thing is, make sure you can identify the IP address and where it is (mine was for my apartment).
Look at all your devices/computers that connect to the internet and AF in particular.
I found my desktop, which I never use for AF was logged in to an old password. I signed out from every other device on that router (laptop, tablets) and changed my password.
Once that was all done, I was ready to roll and I'm no longer receiving emails for failed login attempts.
Let me know if you need anymore help and if I can't help, we can go to Phases. :)

Thank you so much! I bet I know what it is. Other than my phone we have a couple of tablets in the house and I bet they are the problem. I'll uninstall the app on those, reinstall and see what happens. Thanks again!

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
but strangely this ip address is the same for my phone and pc

If you have a router, its the router's external IP address that will be registered on any external websites. All the devices that connect internally to your home network will all show up as the router's IP Address. Your computer and phone do not have external IP addresses. Only internal IP Addresses, on your local network.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones