• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hardware Build #3 Is A Totally Different Handset

Could some of you rev 3 owners post your serial numbers (mask the right most digits if you'd rather not give out the whole number), so we can try to figure out which serial numbers are rev 3 -- unless someone already knows the answer to this question?

(Many sellers and retailers aren't willing to power up the phone before the sale, when I ask what hardware rev they have.)

Thanks...

Upvote 0
I got my new EVO yesterday...version #3. I had minimal light damage but didn't want to have issues down the road. I will say there does seem to be difference in luminating of screen, response on screen, even a bit lighter. I don't know might just be me and reading thread but build seems better with #3 and no light leakage.

Upvote 0
I assume you got that on launch day? (not from the last shipment)

Actually I got mine on June 9th (a few days after launch). I actually think it may have been a launch day phone because the store I went to didn't have any (unspoken for) handsets the day I went in (though they had several in the store), so I left a deposit since they weren't expecting any for another 7 days. Well they called me the next day saying they had a phone for me (assuming some people canceled pre-orders).

Upvote 0
Ditto. I have a build 3, ordered on the 4th directly from Sprint.

Minor lifting in the left hand corner. Minor light leakage from both the left and right corner.

Don't think it has the grounding issue.

That is not the case - I have a Build 3 phone and there is minor light leakage beneath the home and back buttons and I can already tell the bottom left hand corner of the screen may have some issues in the future. Hopefully it holds together well but there are definitely subtle differences in the "flushness" to the body between the bottom left and bottom right hand corners.

Upvote 0
Guys, don't hate on sagedil. Our comments were made before a mod merged the OP's thread together because he made almost 2 identical one 2 days in a row.

To add to this thread, I purchased mine on 06/11, my build is from 5/26 Ver 0003 Nova. No problems with mine. Maybe light leakage but I'm still confused to what kind of leakage you guys are referring to. Is it the light you can see behind the 4 lit buttons or something completely different? I read up on it but can't find actual pictures (other than screen separations). I can't see the 4 backlights unless I'm looking at it from a top down angle.

Upvote 0
Just picked up my replacement at Radio Shack this evening and all I can say is version 2 and 3 are like having two different handsets. Version 3 has a different rear frame, a totally different battery door and a totally different battery. The list goes on. The vibration is MUCH MUCH better very strong the screen is brighter and whiter looking (more vibrant) The digitizer in now sub phone frame ALL AROUND, the battery door has more attachment points to it so it fits much better but is harder to take off now. The whole back of the phone is also a different color its a rubberized flat black now. More to come.

PS screen rotation is almost instantaneous now no lag at all.

I have version #003 and got my phone on June 4th. I thought my phone is the same as every other Evo out there but then I have not seen any other Evo but mine lol

Upvote 0
This post is intended for those poor lurkers who review this thread and may actually begin to think that there is ANY discernable difference between versions of the Evo.

Look at these threads and see if ANYONE has shown there to be a consistent difference between any two versions. Some claim the battery door is different or improved (we have no proof and many versions have no problem with the door in any case), some claim the battery is different (this has been disproved), some claim the screen is different (later screens might be, but the Evo version makes no difference), some claim the grounding issue is different (this has been disproved because it affects some and not others with all versions).

It boils down to this: There are plenty of opinions of folks who have convinced themselves that there is a difference in versions. There has been no proof that one version is different. In fact, just the opposite. Every time someone claims there is a difference, one of the owners of an early version states that their version has the claimed difference.

The happy fact, plain and simple, is that HTC appears to demonstrate better production quality as the Evo assembly progresses. Problems appear to be less and quality improved as the Evo become a bit more mature. This is what happens with assembly lines. But please understand that a version number means relatively little. You might have better luck with assembly quality, but the phone is no different. Don't waste your time on looking for the elusive version X. When you get your phone, look at it and check for problems that have been reported in ALL versions. Making sure it is a particular version is NOT going to guarantee you that your phone is even marginally DIFFERENT than an earlier phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones