• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hardware ID missing

Max_Headroom

Jul 24, 2011
South Cumbria - England
I have a windows 7 64-bit PC and every time i plug the phone into the USB slot i get the message below, if i unplug it and plug it in again it sometimes works. (more often than not it doesn't)

Has anyone else had this problem?

28us408.jpg

I think i might have found a solution (not a fix but it seems to work)

When i plug the phone in if it pops the "hardware ID missing" message up i go to the screen that says "connected as i media device" (sorry for the lame description) and change the setting from Media Device (MTP) to Cameras (PTP) then back and it works a treat.

Upvote 0
Back again.

It turns out the method i described above is not very reliable so i am back to square one plugging it in then removing it when i get the "ID missing" message (see original post) then plugging it in again until it works.

Today i found out my windows 7 laptop also does the same so i am wondering if it is a driver issue.

The phone charges ok but i cannot move anything from the phone to my pc as it doesnt connect.

Can anyone give me some advice its driving me nuts.

Upvote 0
Sorted -

I just tried setting the phone to Camera (PTP) and my problem is sorted, it now connects every time, now when i click start/computer i see a camera listed as a portable device, clicking on it shows two drives phone and card

I can now move pictures play video and everything i expect i would have been able to do if i had it set on Medis Device (MPT) and it had worked.

Upvote 0
I solved this by downloading the drivers for my Phone directly from Samsung website.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/

I did NOT have to uninstall kies.

I DID have to reboot my computer after driver updates.

One Tip for Driver download - There were several models listed starting with "SCH-I535" and then some other model number and letters like "I535MBBVZW". I could not find this info for my phone below the battery, however if you select one for the list it will display other info like the color and if the phone is a developer model.

Window 7 64bit
Verizon Galaxy s3

Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Error "HARDWARE ID MISSING" when plugging phone into computer.

Simple Fix for Windows 7, 64-bit OS:

1. Use Control Panel to Uninstall all previous Samsung USB Drivers.
2. Download Samsung USB Driver v1.4.6.0. from

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...nt_L710_GSIII_Samsung_USB_Driver_v1_4_6_0.exe

3. Reboot computer.
4. Disconnect computer from the Internet. *This is very important!*
5. With the phone disconnected, install Samsung USB Driver v1.4.6.0.
6. Connect the phone to the computer and let Windows install the drivers.
7. Reestablish the Internet connection.

This worked flawlessly for me on the first try.

***The KEY here is to disconnect from the Internet where indicated, thus forcing Windows to install the older, Samsung USB Driver v1.4.6.0.

***Following EVERY Kies update, DISCONNECT the computer from the Internet before plugging in the phone for the first time, or you will have to repeat these steps!

Have a Nice Day!

dsvendse

Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Error "HARDWARE ID MISSING" when plugging phone into computer.

Simple Fix for Windows 7, 64-bit OS:

1. Use Control Panel to Uninstall all previous Samsung USB Drivers.
2. Download Samsung USB Driver v1.4.6.0.
3. Reboot computer.
4. Disconnect computer from the Internet. *This is very important!*
5. With the phone disconnected, install Samsung USB Driver v1.4.6.0.
6. Connect the phone to the computer and let Windows install the drivers.
7. Reestablish the Internet connection.

This worked flawlessly for me on the first try.

***The KEY here is to disconnect from the Internet where indicated, thus forcing Windows to install the older, Samsung USB Driver v1.4.6.0.

***Following EVERY Kies update, DISCONNECT the computer from the Internet before plugging in the phone for the first time, or you will have to repeat these steps!

Have a Nice Day!

dsvendse

Finally! My S3 hasn't been connecting to Kies since I rooted it. This method worked perfectly. Thanks dsvendse, you my good man are a star :)

Upvote 0
Hi All - I just downloaded the USB drivers from Samsung's support site and re-installed. It told me the drivers were already installed but I proceeded anyway. after the install completed and I plugged my phone back in, Windows popped the message "installing drivers" and at that point I clicked the balloon icon to see the details and when it tried to go to windows update and started downloading those updates I cancelled it. Now the phone is showing up in My Computer again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones