• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has anyone scratched their gorilla glass?

To scratch your screen the material needs to be harder than the screen material. A pool cue and a cue ball are not harder than Gorilla Glass. Neither are keys -- keep that in mind when watching "scratch test" videos that use keys to prove scratch resistance.

Yes. Google is your friend.

I was not testing the Scratch resistancy when I dropped the cue ball on it.. I was just testing how strong it was and putting the test out there so people will know Gorilla Glass is NO Joke. It is AWESOME.

Upvote 0
I have one tiny scratch on my screen and i have NO idea how it got there. the phone spends it life in a charging dock, in my pocket (with nothing in it ever) and on the seat in my car. i have had gorilla glass electronics before (Zune 120GB and Zune HD) with no scratches on either after over a year. had my Droid for about 4 months now with a tiny scratch.

Upvote 0
I have one tiny scratch on my screen and i have NO idea how it got there. the phone spends it life in a charging dock, in my pocket (with nothing in it ever) and on the seat in my car. i have had gorilla glass electronics before (Zune 120GB and Zune HD) with no scratches on either after over a year. had my Droid for about 4 months now with a tiny scratch.

Do you have a Screen Protector? Because if you do is it the Screen or the Screen Protector that is Scratched.

Upvote 0
Do you have a Screen Protector? Because if you do is it the Screen or the Screen Protector that is Scratched.

no screen protector. i did have one at one point for a couple weeks (anti-glare matte) and i noticed the scratch AFTER i removed the protector....so not really sure what happened. no bubbles or anything so there wasn't sand or anything under it.

but the scratch is indeed ON the glass. :(

Upvote 0
no screen protector. i did have one at one point for a couple weeks (anti-glare matte) and i noticed the scratch AFTER i removed the protector....so not really sure what happened. no bubbles or anything so there wasn't sand or anything under it.

but the scratch is indeed ON the glass. :(

Oh that sucks :( My screen protector that was on mine got scratched but it wasn't on the actual screen.

Do you have insurance on it? From Verizon or the Black Tie Insurance at Best Buy? If you do I would take it back and try to get another one.. And if you have insurance with Verizon and they no longer have any D1s at your store you might get a D2 :)

Upvote 0
Also check and see if it is really a scratch.. Sometimes smudges appear on the screen like they might be a scratch.. Just take a cloth and put some elbow into it and see if it comes off.

i have tried that with no luck....and pretty sure insurance will NOT replace an entire phone for a TINY scratch. plus the effort to return my phone to stock and most likely get another, crappier, D1 just isnt worth it to me. i also have a "faulty" headphone jack but dont want to do all the work to get a new phone unless i can guarantee i get myself a D2 or Dx

Upvote 0
i have tried that with no luck....and pretty sure insurance will NOT replace an entire phone for a TINY scratch. plus the effort to return my phone to stock and most likely get another, crappier, D1 just isnt worth it to me. i also have a "faulty" headphone jack but dont want to do all the work to get a new phone unless i can guarantee i get myself a D2 or Dx

If you have Best Buy's Black Tie Insurance you just take the phone in tell them what is wrong. They normally don't ask anything else and they give you a new one right there on the spot. And yes Best Buy will give you a new phone for a Scratch and because of the Faulty Headphone Jack. They are very quick with everything. I had to do it twice for my Blackberry I had before I got my D2. If you have Best Buy's Insurance I say take it to them.

Upvote 0
If you have Best Buy's Black Tie Insurance you just take the phone in tell them what is wrong. They normally don't ask anything else and they give you a new one right there on the spot. And yes Best Buy will give you a new phone for a Scratch and because of the Faulty Headphone Jack. They are very quick with everything. I had to do it twice for my Blackberry I had before I got my D2. If you have Best Buy's Insurance I say take it to them.

I worked for Best Buy for 3 years, Blackberrys have a special contract to allow for immediate replacement, if he took in his Droid it would be sent to Touchstone to attempt repairs and wait nearly 2-4 weeks to get it back repaired, and most likely the screen wouldn't be touched as it would be seen as cosmetic.

Asurion is better in this case because you get a new (refurb) phone in 2-3 days, P.S. every refurb I have gotten has been in pristine condition, but again if there is something wrong with that one they send you a new one in another day or two.

But yeah, BBY will ship it out if its not a blackberry since the contract is different and let Touchstone try to fix it (which blows if you ask me, they are a bunch of untrained monkeys).

Also, I have never had a screen protector and never scratched the screen once.

Upvote 0
My htc senastion got 3 or 4 scratches the first two days, because everybody said how "scratch resistant" the Gorilla Glas is if haven't used a screen protector.
I got now the ionformation that Gorilla Glas is even less scratch resistant than any regular glas, only disadvantage - you can't remove scratches with polish...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones