• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has HTC Sold us all a pup?...and a poorly one at that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCTEN

Nov 29, 2010
Hi Guys,

I've given this phone nearly 4 months now and I have to say that i wont be buying another HTC or Android for that matter.
You've only got to look at this forum and read all the problems/issues people have been having with it to know that (and i'm sorry to say this) the phone just isn't up to scratch.

Why should i have to turn this that and the other off just to get a decent amount of time from the battery? All this mumbo jumbo about calibrating the battery, installing apps to control the battery reserves it's just a joke really isn't it?

I do love the phone for it's many varied features but it's proving to be more trouble than it's worth.

I know i'll get people saying that it's a powerfull phone that's why the battery gives up after half a days use but come on!...really!

We can send people to the moon but the boffins at HTC can't work out that the battery is pants!

Feeling dissappointed to say the least, think the next gen iphone will be my next phone...sad to say it! (not going for iphone 4 due to the antenna issues but iphone 5 should be better.)

In fact what i'm goin to do next is wait for any phone to come out for a good 6months and digest all the information on forums before rushing out to buy the latest phone. At least that way someone else would have suffered the the teething problems before i have to go through all this nonsense again.

How can a fully charged phone go from 100% down to 95% within an hour (and that's with all updates turned off and screen at lowest setting...in fact it's so dimmed you can barely see the widgets. Just beggars belief :rolleyes:

Thanks for listening to this little rant, but if you're happy with the phone i'm happy for you. This is just my opinion.

Cheers

Each to their own I suppose, you're more than welcome to your opinion.

The trouble with every new piece of tech which is supposed to be the be all and end all is that the majority will look to find a fault which supposedly ruins it. Prime examples being the battery life of the DHD and the iPhone4's antenna issue. I'm not saying it's wrong to criticise or they're not issues, just generally speaking, that's what happens.

Personally, I don't mind the battery life. I don't need to see what my friends are doing on Facebook every second of the day, or read emails as soon as they arrive so I turn 3G/Wifi off when I don't need it, I find this greatly increases battery life. I know some will say that "what's the point in having a smart phone if you're not gonna use it as intended". Well, it's my phone and I'll use it how I want. I don't need to use all the features, but it's nice I have the option to do so if I want. Anyway, that's by the by.

You've only got to look at this forum and read all the problems/issues people have been having with it to know that (and i'm sorry to say this) the phone just isn't up to scratch.

The vast majority of folk don't join a forum to say "Wow, look how awesome my new XXX is", they, like me (at first) join to say "I'm having issues with XXX, any one else having them? How do I sort it?" You've only got to look at certain member post counts to see that a lot of folk join, ask their question, say thanks when they've got their answer and rarely post again. So saying the phone has a load of issues based on your experience here is kind of null and void to me. Opinions of anything on the internet are generally negative ;)

I've given this phone nearly 4 months now and I have to say that i wont be buying another HTC or Android for that matter.

I can understand your beef with HTC, but why Android on the basis of a negative experience with one particular handset?

Incidentally, I can understand your feelings, the phone does have it's issues, but I can look past them because I think the good far outweighs the bad.

Upvote 0
Very happy with my DHD. Yes the battery could be better. I keep it topped up.

One thing to note about the battery information on the DHD it is fairly accurate. When it says 50% it means 50% - I've had other phones that when they say 50% they are nearly empty. So it's not as bad as it first appears. I now let it go down to 25% without worrying where any previous device I've had would have been minutes away from dying at that point.

Upvote 0
Very happy with my DHD. Yes the battery could be better. I keep it topped up.

One thing to note about the battery information on the DHD it is fairly accurate. When it says 50% it means 50% - I've had other phones that when they say 50% they are nearly empty. So it's not as bad as it first appears. I now let it go down to 25% without worrying where any previous device I've had would have been minutes away from dying at that point.

omg thats like a mates samsung android...like 30% then...BOOM! dead...

pray that i dont ever get an unsupported sammy....

Upvote 0
I might have not much to say here since I only have DHD phone for 5 days and so far its 8/10 for me. Yes at the beginning im like this child who got his first toy and i was just downloading like 100 apps/minute. And then I realize the battery consumption of those apps. I started deleting and just keeping the ones I know im gonna be using in the next few months. The ones that I see are good, I write them down in the little notepad I call, AppsNext. :p Just so i remember which apps i want and download it when I need it.

But again, we all have different experiences. And not all devices are meant to suit everyone. :) Sorry to hear that you are having problems. We'll keep enjoying the phone tho

Upvote 0
... You've only got to look at this forum and read all the problems/issues people have been having with it to know that (and i'm sorry to say this) the phone just isn't up to scratch. ...

You see, the problem with forums is it gives people a chance to vent their spleens. They're like an unofficial support office, which means you get hit with everybody's problems. Me? I had one of the first DHDs in the UK and they were meant to have dodgy cases and a load of other issues. I didn't see one.
I also upgraded to 2.2.1 before it was pulled. 2.2.1 is supposed to have major problems like wrecking SD Cards. Not seen any problems at all so far. The nearest I've seen to any issues is the phone has hung/rebooted twice since I got it. But my old Nokia E71 used to reboot about once a week. So it's not all bad.

... I know i'll get people saying that it's a powerfull phone that's why the battery gives up after half a days use but come on!...really! ...

I will agree that they should have given it a larger battery, bad design on HTCs part. But i think you'll find that most phone's in the same category will go through batteries at about the same rate. Plenty of ways to keep the battery charged.

... Feeling dissappointed to say the least, think the next gen iphone will be my next phone...sad to say it! (not going for iphone 4 due to the antenna issues but iphone 5 should be better.) ....

But wasn't the iPhone4 meant to be better than the iPhone3 ... ? :thinking: Be careful what you wish for as the grass isn't always greener etc etc ...

Dave

Upvote 0
You see, the problem with forums is it gives people a chance to vent their spleens. They're like an unofficial support office, which means you get hit with everybody's problems. Me? I had one of the first DHDs in the UK and they were meant to have dodgy cases and a load of other issues. I didn't see one.
I also upgraded to 2.2.1 before it was pulled. 2.2.1 is supposed to have major problems like wrecking SD Cards. Not seen any problems at all so far.

Exactly that, Same here, I have also only had 1 random reboot since I got the phone which i think was mid november.

I also get pretty good battery life. 2 days usually, thats with a few calls, loads of texts, usually a few pics, a couple of games, bit of web browsing, WiFi on most of the time, 3g/gps always on, all the sync stuff is set to at most every 15 mins, whatsapp always running in the background.

Upvote 0
We are but guinea pigs i'm afraid... all of us.
I like my DHD & android in general, prefer it to iOS at least, even though iOS is more 'polished'.
But, my DHD does do some strange things for no apparent reason.
&, until battery technology, cpu & screen power consumption gets significantly better, you won't get a phone that lasts more than a day. (dual core cpus , super bright screens etc!!!)

Upvote 0
I love my dhd and it easily lasts a day on a charge for me. What more do you need? You can look at any forum you want and i guarantee you will find problems with any phone out there. The dhd is not the only phone with problems. Compared to the motorola iden phones i've been putting up with for the last ten years this phone is a freakin lamborghini. And people who buy lamborghini's don't complain to the company that they use too much gas... :)

Upvote 0
If you check my history, I came here very disappointed with the phone coming from a Blackberry Bold, BUT it's just a case of the phone being something 'different'. I went back to using my dad's Bold for a short while and tbh I hated it. It felt way too small, the menu felt slow and it just wasn't as interactive.

The DHD has it's flaws but it is a great phone. You will learn to love it.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

Why should i have to turn this that and the other off just to get a decent amount of time from the battery? All this mumbo jumbo about calibrating the battery, installing apps to control the battery reserves it's just a joke really isn't it?

I do love the phone for it's many varied features but it's proving to be more trouble than it's worth.

I know i'll get people saying that it's a powerfull phone that's why the battery gives up after half a days use but come on!...really!

We can send people to the moon but the boffins at HTC can't work out that the battery is pants!

Feeling dissappointed to say the least, think the next gen iphone will be my next phone...sad to say it! (not going for iphone 4 due to the antenna issues but iphone 5 should be better.)

In fact what i'm goin to do next is wait for any phone to come out for a good 6months and digest all the information on forums before rushing out to buy the latest phone. At least that way someone else would have suffered the the teething problems before i have to go through all this nonsense again.

How can a fully charged phone go from 100% down to 95% within an hour (and that's with all updates turned off and screen at lowest setting...in fact it's so dimmed you can barely see the widgets. Just beggars belief :rolleyes:

Thanks for listening to this little rant, but if you're happy with the phone i'm happy for you. This is just my opinion.

Cheers

Most users only register on forums to sort out issues with a product or to get more information about a product. trust me i had a different make of phone and it was the same on thier forums with users post about issues and you could only count a few who posted positive comments about thier phone.

Reactions: stanleysee
Upvote 0
DCTEN I wonder if all is well with your phone. I have had mine for 2 weeks and came from the Nokia 5800. The phone as bowled me over more than I thought it would but I agree the battery takes some getting your head around but then I am constantly being amazed by what this phone does. The only thing I have turned off is GPS (unless required), screen is on auto. Face book and twitter update once a day and have sync of contacts off (unless I make a change). I think I am an average user and I get about 16 hours which considering what the phone does does not seem to bad. One of the girls at work as an Iphone4 which she needs to charge whilst at work, I have not had to do that so far. I have bought a small rechargeable battery pack off Amazon (

Upvote 0
Most users only register on forums to sort out issues with a product or to get more information about a product..

This is so true. I went in to the forum with the same attitude. One is to sort out some issues that I am having, and thats gone. I am getting good battery life, better than what i previously had and having a super phone. I find the navigation alot better than iphone 4. Also, I wanted to know some great apps :)

Upvote 0
I agree with most of what's been said here, especially forums being a dumpling ground for issues.

The battery life on the HD is the biggest issue, but you learn to live with it.
Not a fan of super amoled screens (make everything look cartooney, like on my SGS).

The Iphone 5 will have issues, every piece of new tech will, I kinda feel like they are pushing this stuff out so fast that they do not need to develop it properly as they know the lifetime for the phone is so short and always superceeded by something more powerful or with new tech that they are planning for the next big release.

Final word on battery life...it's a phone. If I take my DELL laptop out leave it unplugged, surf the internet wirelessly, play a movie, listen to some music, play some games then do some emails, I probably get 2 1/2 hours out of it....oh no DELL what are you playing at giving me a laptop where the battery does't last forever!...really?

Upvote 0
@ nigsy totally agree there with the fact its a phone, but I think we kinda have to realise whilst users have always had that expecations of a standard laptop to only last 2 or so hours hammering the damn thing (obviously netbooks last longer now due to a smaller footprint), phone users have been used to the fact their initial use of phones lasted for DAYS on end. the obvious reasons for this is the sheer integration of modern tech that we now cram into our phones. think about it, rather than just calls and sms (and omg remember WAP? lol) its now a phone, and a mobile broadband dongle, a satnav, music and video player, colour reader, social organiser, hi-res screen plus many more all rolled into one. beats the day of the mono screen and snake eh guys? hehe

yes other competitors have longer battery life, but I'd imagine they would have the same if not darn close flat batt if they used everything that was availabe on our phones. and anyways, whats wrong with charging it everyday?

it aint a dig i just think ppl expect too much at times...and i dont like ppl speaking bad about my child lol

Upvote 0
I love my dhd and it easily lasts a day on a charge for me. What more do you need? You can look at any forum you want and i guarantee you will find problems with any phone out there. The dhd is not the only phone with problems. Compared to the motorola iden phones i've been putting up with for the last ten years this phone is a freakin lamborghini. And people who buy lamborghini's don't complain to the company that they use too much gas... :)

...you're right there mate, ...and owning a lamborghini doesnt mean you drive it at crazy high speeds in any road you travel just because its a hell of a car, right? you drive it fast, sometimes in a regular pace or slow and you show it that its a lamborgihini... dhd's packs with most options so the user can use what he needs when he needs it... and not every thing on every hour, minute and second of the day. it's a great phone at the time of its launching, until the next better one comes out...:eek: then a soul would rise up with the same debate all over again, poor this, poor that... name one phone that so perfect you'll stick with it for 2 years? you got one??? wow that's something huh? and how is it if compared with todays phones, still perfect? how about next year? :rolleyes:

...innovation, nothing is perfect, you live with it . if it doesnt suit your purpose buy the next other one. with so many phone models that htc releases for almost 5 billion cel users around the world there's bound to be the right one for ones preference. i get along with my dhd almost perfectly for the past 4 months now, a pup? nah! it's a beast, that's why it's power hungry and i feed it with regular charging every 36 hours...:D

...cheers!

Upvote 0
when i heard about android fones i said to myself..."oi, i wanna be play with these new toys that can also make calls and text" (i also wanted a reader that wasn't an ipad or kindle)

but another part of me told me (i think it was my thumb) that..."whoah, yknow that its a constantly developing field right? lotta kinks, new things to figure out, not so nice surprises, things companies won't tell u, ye?"

i replied: "ye, but i still wanna play with these new toys, i accept that there are kinks, (but not so much that its tantamount to HTC robbing me, i'll raise hell if my fone breaks soon by no fault of my own) gain experience, show off, learn something new, good or bad so i'll be able to enjoy the next big thing-- no pun intended.

i also want to be able to say..."remember 10 years ago? we had them klunky, heavy "desire" that we had to carry? "Carry" duuude! imagine we had to carry our phones back then! har! hey barkeep, another!"
(like them motorola "cellphones" that doubled as weights in the late 80's/90's)

i wanna grow with this baby! and the deal with what comes with it.

Reactions: Bentree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones