• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Have CM9 Alpha ICS, what else can I do?

heavychevy

Android Expert
Jun 12, 2010
I have the mod bug..........

I just rooted for the first time last night, kept me up all night, but gave me a new passion for my phone. I have a few questions?

Must every additional mod I flash be compatible with the CM9 and even if not, where can I find more stuff to do with the phone that is?

How exactly do I go about changing to AOKP if I wanted to try that? Flashing back to a rooted gingerbread kernel?

Thanks

In the directions to flash a aokp rom on this phone they tell you exactly what needs to be done. Essentially yes you flash back to a gb kernel then flash the rom on top of that. There is a high risk of a brick flashing cm9 or aokp from a ics kernel

Im not sure what you mean about mods being cm9 compatible but themes and certain things must be compatible in order to work. Have fun dead lots and check out qbking77 YouTube channel

Reactions: heavychevy
Upvote 0
Glad to see that i'm not the only one that is in love with CM9. My first piece of advice... Head to the market and search 'CM9 Theme' there are loads of them! Most of them cost like $1.00 but they do have some free ones which I have fallen in love with.

The best part about these themes is that it changes the entire outlook of the Rom in more ways than one. The keyboard, dialer, notification bar and contact list are just a few of the things that change when u switch to a new theme. Another thing I like is that you can download more than one theme and basically switch them up at will.

My only advice is to keep checking the CM9 thread on the regular as they have been rolling out new Alpha versions very frequently. I'm still waiting on the one that fixes the LOS issue I get after i've been on the phone for like an hour but overall, I LOVE THIS FRIGGIN PHONE AND THIS FRIGGIN ROM!!!

Upvote 0
There are actually unofficial nighties now. I flash a new one every couple of days.

I recently did a factory reset with one of my updates, and WOW. All of the little minor bugs I was experiencing were gone. I wish Samsung would just release the kernel source for ICS already so that we could get official CM status, this ROM is simply amazing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones