• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Have to buy service to get the GSM sim?

Joshuah22a

Android Enthusiast
May 6, 2011
hopefully some store owners can chime in here..i went to 2 metro stores in my area non were corporate and I went to buy a GSM sim..the first the lady asks for my phone and just starts taking apart my case im like "wtf!?"..I tell her I don't want to do the service right now... she doesn't even respond back and continue taking my note3 apart to eventually take the back case off and check I guess what kinda sim card I have.. then she was about to walk to the back and I guess the manager on duty whispers to her that I have to buy the service there and pay a fee..im like are you ******* kidding me! I just want the sim and im going to do it over the phone..he said "oh I can't do that.." so I told them im good and left..is this true? I will be going to a corporate store tom. and hopefully I won't have the same issue..

hopefully some store owners can chime in here..i went to 2 metro stores in my area non were corporate and I went to buy a GSM sim..the first the lady asks for my phone and just starts taking apart my case im like "wtf!?"..I tell her I don't want to do the service right now... she doesn't even respond back and continue taking my note3 apart to eventually take the back case off and check I guess what kinda sim card I have.. then she was about to walk to the back and I guess the manager on duty whispers to her that I have to buy the service there and pay a fee..im like are you ******* kidding me! I just want the sim and im going to do it over the phone..he said "oh I can't do that.." so I told them im good and left..is this true? I will be going to a corporate store tom. and hopefully I won't have the same issue..

Just curious why you would want to purchase the sim card and activate it yourself when you gain no monetary savings activating it online?

Upvote 0
i never knew you can activate it online... and I had the assumption I could just buy one at a store because the rep I spoke to last had said just walk in the store and call customer service up and i'll be setup with my number porting etc.. I don't like dealing with too many of those metro reps in stores...

Upvote 0
ok quick question without making a new thread...

My tmob bill is due on the 3rd of jan. I get paid on the 2nd..

before I switched from metro I had it setup at that date because my check always landed a day before.. so since im getting paid this week I want to switch back to metro again..i already have the unlock code from tmobile and wanted to know if I switch back on the 2nd and to my knowledge tmob is prepaid and the phone is paid off...do I still have to pay that 85$ tmob bill still? or will I just be paying for the one month from metro??

Upvote 0
I've gone through this a few times now. Here are the options:

1. Buy online for $10 with free FedEx 2day shipping, activate over phone or via chat after logging into your account
  2. Buy in store (corp or authorized reseller, no difference) for $10 plus pay $17 "activation fee" and let them set it up.

Corporate store vs authorized reseller doesn't make a difference. Neither will sell you the sim to activate yourself no matter what. I also found the authorized resellers only give you the sim that fits your phone right then. Online and corp store will give you a "kit" with a regular sim, micro sim, and nano sim and put the one you need in your phone. The corporate store should give you the other two sims in case you trade phones later.

After you have the sim, if you change phones, you have to get it "re-activated" to the new phone. You can do this via online chat or over the phone for free. A store will charge you $17.

When you activate online or over phone, they don't always tell you to update your APN settings. Search online and you can find several posts of what to set.

Reactions: vincentallen2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones