• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Heavy "real" Camera Users rejoice!

jasperwill

Android Enthusiast
May 7, 2010
Oregon
i was just looking at Eye-fi again when i got this idea about my android phone.

Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo & video uploads straight from your camera to your computer & the web.

eye-fi uses a wireless card built into the SDHC card to transfer files over a wifi connection and upload them automatically to your home computer and/or to you picture album acounts (facebook, picasa, ect.)

now add to that your ability with your android handset to create a wifi access point and you have a camera with unlimited storage anywhere that you have cell service!

im sure im not the first one to think of this but i thought id share it with everyone.

this is a great reason for anyone traveling to have a worldphone if they love taking tons of pictures and are worried about running out of space or losing pictures after getting a camera stolen.

what do you think??????????????????????

there are definitly issues.

but heres some solutions...

Jobo SD/SDHC to Compact Flash Type II Adapter SE9108 - B&H Photo
CF to SDHC card adaptor

with the long transfer times issue, i only see that as an issue for your battery life on the phone/camera and having the extra batteries around in order to make this work i think is worth it to someone who really wants to take advantage of this system.

i believe with the "unlimited memory" mode the card uploads pictures as you are taking them and then deletes them once it has sent them off.

thanks for the input :)

Upvote 0
I don't think I would use something like this. My average photo-shoot results in about 3-4 GIGABYTEs per session. A Sunday afternoon at the park w/ the kid could include photos (in both RAW/JPEG) and video (720p H.264) video.

These are just family photos. I doubt a professional would be transmitting gigabytes of data during their photo shoot. I was in pro shoot once and they ended up with 60 gigabyte of photos.

I'm just jabbing at the "real" camera user title of this thread.

Upvote 0
A.nonymous:
how do you transfer the photos from your stand alone camera to the phone to upload them to photobucket???

Mrspeedmaster:
60 GIGS of pics! wow, im surprised, and still find it hard to believe.

-------im not trying to argue here just thinking aloud.-----------

lets say you have a 16MP camera thats going to be roughly 16 megs of data (max) per RAW image if im understanding it correctly...
16 * 2000 photos = 32000 megs or 31.25 gigs

btw im getting my idea of a rough file size from here:
how big is (raw file size + jpeg fine) when shooting max res for xti? - Canon Digital Photography Forums
i know its not a great source but i figure its good enough for this thought process.

id say 2000 photos is a huge amount to be taking in a few hours unless (as you said) you are a professional photographer in a photoshoot.
but ya i wouldnt want to upload that many photos through my phones internet connection.

really though by "real" i meant: not the phones camera, but an actual stand alone camera.

that 720P video that your taking has got to be a huge portion of the 3-4 gigs of data, and i bet your actual photos dont take up that much space.

mostly i was thinking this would be used for someone on vacation if they dont have a laptop or just dont want to bring one in addition to the camera and phone and clothing, ect. that they already have to carry.

if you are a pro photographer you would definitly have all your equipment with you and basically unlimited storage space on your laptop/external HDD setup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones